TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Extreme Contact DW or Nitto 555's?

msbmustang

Past the wear bars on my Toyo Proxes and ready to try a new set of tires. (The Toyo's were great on corners but only fair on launch... and they have stopped making them in our size).

I think I have narrowed it down to the Contential Extreme Contact DW's or the Nitto 555's. I really need help with this choice! Mine is a daily driver at 100 miles per day...which gives me lots of chances to get on it! (Also I have given up on new rims for now, i.e. my other posts about OE Rims).

Thanks Everyone,

MSB Mustang / Mark

PS - Maybe even the Nitto Invo's?

Past the wear bars on my Toyo Proxes and ready to try a new set of tires. (The Toyo's were great on corners but only fair on launch... and they have stopped making them in our size).

I think I have narrowed it down to the Contential Extreme Contact DW's or the Nitto 555's. I really need help with this choice! Mine is a daily driver at 100 miles per day...which gives me lots of chances to get on it! (Also I have given up on new rims for now, i.e. my other posts about OE Rims).

Thanks Everyone,

MSB Mustang / Mark

Where do you live(i.e. the type weather you drive in)? I went with the Extreme Contact DW tire. Drove 100 miles through a hard rain last week and they did superbly. I don't see snow or much sub-40 degree weather. Don't know much about the Nitto's but I love the Extreme Contact DW's.

Where do you live(i.e. the type weather you drive in)? I went with the Extreme Contact DW tire. Drove 100 miles through a hard rain last week and they did superbly. I don't see snow or much sub-40 degree weather. Don't know much about the Nitto's but I love the Extreme Contact DW's.

I have a new set of DWs sitting in the garage next to my new True Forged rims. Gotta get 'em mounted. I heard good things from people I respect. I've got the same weather conditions as Bill.

Steve

Thanks Everyone,

MSB Mustang / Mark

I went with the Conti's on my Shelby GT-C and wish I had them on my GT500. They are good tires; as others have noted, I live in the South, so snow is not an issue. That said, my GT500 tires are poor at anything 55 or below. The Extreme Contact DWs still hold well, so far, with temps in the upper 30s & low 40s. The SGT-C is my daily driver. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

To answer Bills's question, I live on the coast just south of San Francisco and drive to Silicon Valley/Santa Clara every day. My car never sees temps below 50 deg and usually 60 to 75 deg. We do get a fair amount of rain in the winter and the orig tires were terrible on wet roads which is why I went with the Toyo Proxes which were great on wet roads and corners just not so good on dry launch.

A friend at work has a heavily modified 08 GT and he has the Nittos so I am going to get a ride from him this week but I am leaning strongly towards the Cont's!

Thanks Again,

Mark / MSB Mustang

PS - Really enjoying the new one piece driveshaft

Thanks for the responses everyone.

To answer Bills's question, I live on the coast just south of San Francisco and drive to Silicon Valley/Santa Clara every day. My car never sees temps below 50 deg and usually 60 to 75 deg. We do get a fair amount of rain in the winter and the orig tires were terrible on wet roads which is why I went with the Toyo Proxes which were great on wet roads and corners just not so good on dry launch.

A friend at work has a heavily modified 08 GT and he has the Nittos so I am going to get a ride from him this week but I am leaning strongly towards the Cont's!

Thanks Again,

Mark / MSB Mustang

PS - Really enjoying the new one piece driveshaft

I lived just north of there many years ago at Hamilton AFB near Novato, CA. Believe me, with that misty rain, you'll appreciate the Extreme Contact DW 's. (LOL) ;)

I can't comment on the Nittos and while I have not driven the Extreme Contact DWs on a GT500, I've been using them on my daily driver (Audi S4) since last April (roughly 12,000 miles). I am totally satisfied with the DWs as they are a great all around tire. They're excellent in the rain, have very good grip on the dry and are quite comfortable too, on top of all, these are reasonably priced tires. I'm due for new tires next spring on my '07 and will likely buy a set of DWs then.

Wow! Looks like it is Wow! Looks like it is unanimous! The Extreme Contact DW's are the way to go. Now to find the best price.

Thanks again everyone!

Mark / MSB Mustang

Add my vote for the Conti Extreme DW's...

They are AWESOME on my '10 Vert.

Great in wet or dry, and they have these cool letters engraved in the treads, "D W" - Once the "W" wears off, they are only good for dry weather use...

But they are sticky, quiet, and very comfortable for everyday use.

The other thing, and i was told this by a very reputable tire shop - the Conti's balanced out on my factory wheels with approx 1/4 oz of weight - a testament to the quality of the manufacturing process that Continental uses. You wont find that on Nitto's or Toyo's or Kumho's - they need alot of weight to get them balanced right and even then they can vibrate or shimmy at differnet speeds. I know this from personal experience.

Go for the Conti's you will not regret it.

GUS

Wow! Looks like it is Wow! Looks like it is unanimous! The Extreme Contact DW's are the way to go. Now to find the best price.

Thanks again everyone!

Mark / MSB Mustang

Try your local Ford dealer. Yeah, it sounds crazy but mine priced matched the best price I could find. I knew what I wanted and printed off a quote from Tirerack.com and took it in. They matched the price and I've got a $100 rebate check coming in the mail from Ford also. First time I've ever bought new tires through a dealership but it was a great deal. :shift:

Woe! Even more positive comments. I don't think I have ever seen this much agreement on a GT500 subject before!

Looks like now it is just a question of where to get them.

Mark / MSB Mustang

Just another shout out for the DW. I got mine last spring from my local Ford dealer. They price matched the Tire Rack price. Actually they beat the Tire Rack price becuase mounting was less, and I didn't pay shipping.

The DW have done well in the rain, and they are much quieter than the Goodyears that came from the factory. I have been happy with them.

Man, I wish I was getting a commission with all these testimonials (LOL). In my daily driver world of rain and potholes they are superb. Twenty years ago I had a set of Goodyear Aquatreads (SP?) on a 1990 5.0LX Mustang and those were terrific in the rain. I felt like a Navy Frogman in the rain with the traction. However, they left a rooster tail of water kicked up behind the car like hydroplane racing boat going down the highway. It did eliminate tailgators. I guess Goodyear quit making them as I haven't seen anything about them in years. My Extreme Contact DW's actually feel better in the wet than the Goodyear Aquatreads .

:sing_rain:

Man, I wish I was getting a commission with all these testimonials (LOL). In my daily driver world of rain and potholes they are superb. Twenty years ago I had a set of Goodyear Aquatreads (SP?) on a 1990 5.0LX Mustang and those were terrific in the rain. I felt like a Navy Frogman in the rain with the traction. However, they left a rooster tail of water kicked up behind the car like hydroplane racing boat going down the highway. It did eliminate tailgators. I guess Goodyear quit making them as I haven't seen anything about them in years. My Extreme Contact DW's actually feel better in the wet than the Goodyear Aquatreads .

Bill did you put the same size (stock) tires on 255/35/19 and 285/35/19 in the DW's ?

Can anyone comment on the dry traction of the Contis a bit more. I am looking to go 19s on my 07 and am looking for a good all around tire that has grip. How does the grip compare to the GoodYears, and then to something extreme like a drag radial. I'm trying to get some perspective here. I don't drive in the rain much intentionally, but it's certainly always a possibility living in Seattle.

Can anyone comment on the dry traction of the Contis a bit more. I am looking to go 19s on my 07 and am looking for a good all around tire that has grip. How does the grip compare to the GoodYears, and then to something extreme like a drag radial. I'm trying to get some perspective here. I don't drive in the rain much intentionally, but it's certainly always a possibility living in Seattle.

Very good dry traction; I have not used drag radials. I doubt you could buy a new tire for a GT500 that is not better than the Good Years they came with.

I have the DW's on my fairly stock Shelby GT. 6000 miles now and I have a hard time getting them to break loose in a straight line. Hoping to give them a workover next spring at Summit Point and see how they hold up.

I was just at Summit Point last weekend with NASA. My 1st time back since 99. Had a real good time. I have the Conti DW's also for the street. When I purchased them, the people at Tire Rack told me that they are not good track tires and did not recommend using them on the track. The said the side walls are too soft. It wasn't an issue for me because I have another set of whels and run the Hoosier R-6's on the track. So you may want to rethink trying them on the track.

BJ

is everyone saying the DW's because they are a better tire or that they dont have any expirience with the nittos? ive never had a set of the dws but was very happy with my nittos.

dws prices look good, and the reviews are great, .......just wondering

is everyone saying the DW's because they are a better tire or that they dont have any expirience with the nittos? ive never had a set of the dws but was very happy with my nittos.

dws prices look good, and the reviews are great, .......just wondering

When I think of Nitto's I think more of a track tire. :peelout:

I went online and did the comparison side by side with 12 other tires in the sizes I wanted (stock) and the DW’s came out ahead in the categories that were most important to me in a daily driver who has to drive in inclement weather (i.e. rain but not snow). They were actually rated near the top in dry handling also just a hair behind the stock F1’s as well as near the top in all categories, which I can’t say for the F1’s. If mine was a garage queen, oops I mean, “Fair Weather Cruiser” I’d have went for the same stock F1’s when the sidewalls cracked and dry rotted (J/K). I drive mine every day and will have to let the next guy worry about restoration long after I’m gone.

:sing_rain::shift:

I don’t have anything bad to say about the Nitto’s (or experiences) except to say that when I narrowed now my personal list to the top six tires, the Nittos’ didn’t make the cut. :banvictory:

My nitto 555/275/20 have OK traction in rain and feel better than the F1, dry traction is good.

Yes these tires took alot of weight to balance, i won these tires a set of four.

Archived