TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kona Blue owners

Firekiller

Maybe some of you can chime in on this. My question is what are we going to do for paint in the future if in fact Ford cannot produce anymore Kona blue paint because of the sunami in Japan. I have been thinking a lot about this since I saw another thread stating that Ford is going back to the Sonic blue in the future and cannot get the pigment for Kona any longer.

If I ever have the need to repaint or touch up the Shelby will I still be able to get paint for it? If not and I buy paint now for future "WHAT IF'S" how long will it sit without going bad.

How will this effect the registry if we have to repaint our cars with another color?

If any body knows or has any input I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

Since when has this become an issue that affected Kona Blue Metallic?

The affected component was Xirallic, a metallic effect used only in Tuxedo Black Metallic (which has rapidly been replaced throughout the F/L lineup with a non-metallic Black) and Red Candy Metallic Clearcoat - which was briefly interrupted but has since resumed fully availability.

In either case, Xirallic ONLY affects the metallic effect - not the tint or hue. It's also reproduceable by body/paint professionals - but Xirallic is what makes the same effect work in a production manufacturing environment.

After all, Mystic is still available, albeit in drips and drams.

Maybe some of you can chime in on this. My question is what are we going to do for paint in the future if in fact Ford cannot produce anymore Kona blue paint because of the sunami in Japan. I have been thinking a lot about this since I saw another thread stating that Ford is going back to the Sonic blue in the future and cannot get the pigment for Kona any longer.

If I ever have the need to repaint or touch up the Shelby will I still be able to get paint for it? If not and I buy paint now for future "WHAT IF'S" how long will it sit without going bad.

How will this effect the registry if we have to repaint our cars with another color?

If any body knows or has any input I would love to hear from you. Thanks.

No doubt any local paint store will be able to mix you up a batch in your choice of flavors - Dupont, PPG, R-M, Spies etc etc. I don't think I would worry too much about it.

I have wondered about the same thing. I have a 2012 Kona Blue that needs to be repainted due to a factory mishap but Ford told me that they cant acquire the paint, none the less we are in stale mate. I love the color, hence the reason why I bought it, but it is a little disheartening to know that acquiring touchup, parts, or even having it repainted due to an accident could create issues in the future.

Ok, apparently after reading this article the shortage is due to the plant that makes the Xirallac was very close to the nuclear plant that had the melt down and production is stoppped until they can get back in to produce it. So if I read this right the material to make this paint is not gone and will be produced in the future, but on hold for right now, hence Ford going to another color to keep vehicle production online. So if we have to have repairs done we will just have to wait for production to resume.

Here is the link to the article http://news.ibisworldwide.com/news/ford-solves-japanese-paint-problem/. Thanks to all that responded.

I stand corrected. I didn't realize Kona Blue was affected.

I thought the conversion of so many Kona Blue vehicles to Dark Blue Pearl was a shift in consumer preferences, but it's clear that Xirallic was used in MORE than just Tuxedo Black and Red Candy Metallic.

In fact, many other vehicle colors include Xirallic - just not Mustang. Kona Blue and Lava Red were the only affected Mustang colors - and it made sense with a whole SLEW of Kona Blue GT500's that were produced over a few day period to balance-out the rest of production for 2012.

But the manufacturer has already made contingency plans and it should not affect future production or the availability of replacement paints

Check here for some more detailed info.

I thought the conversion of so many Kona Blue vehicles to Dark Blue Pearl was a shift in consumer preferences, but it's clear that Xirallic was used in MORE than just Tuxedo Black and Red Candy Metallic.

In fact, many other vehicle colors include Xirallic - just not Mustang. Kona Blue and Lava Red were the only affected Mustang colors - and it made sense with a whole SLEW of Kona Blue GT500's that were produced over a few day period to balance-out the rest of production for 2012.

But the manufacturer has already made contingency plans and it should not affect future production or the availability of replacement paints

Check here for some more detailed info.

having had many muscle cars painted ove the years,with a perfect match to original paint, im sure youll be able to get the exact paint--Ive always used PPG, but its not cheap---my current GTO cost 600 bucks/gal and it used 2 gals plus a gal of clear--so besides all the above good info, dont sweat it, you can always get a match in the after market

dont sweat it, you can always get a match in the after market

VERY true. The real challenge for makers is paints and pigments it can use in a production manufacturing process. The aftermarket and professional paint shops have no such limitations.

I was told that by my dealer when the news first came out. They also told me about Tuxedo Black.

Figures. I own 3 newer Ford products.

A 2010 GT500 in Kona Blue.

A 2011 F-150 in Tuxedo Black.

A 2011 Flex Limited in Earth.

All three colors are on the list of paints that are no longer being made.

I did notice that on the Ford Mo. Co. site "build one" that the F-150 now lists Tuxedo Black but it no longer lists it as METALIC Tuxedo Black, and the difference is HUGE. I had a Leer bed cover put on my truck and the Leer dealer said they had no problem getting them painted Tuxedo Black. Yeah, it came in as BLACK, with no metalic flakes in it and the Ford Tuxedo Black is very obviously metalic, with the metel flakes that change color (not just silver but red, green, blue, etc.).

That will mean a complete paint job if I ever get in even a slight accident, on any of my 3 Fords <sigh>.

Not a happy camper,

Phill

Yep. Those multi-colored metallic flakes are part of what Xirallic makes possible. Personally, I've never cared for Ford's Tuxedo Black Metallic - too speckly and busy and not deep enough for me. Glad to have a nice gloss black back. The color I really miss is Sterling Grey Metallic (had on my Flex Limited) and Dark Ink Blue Metallic (my wife's MKS) which is one of the most elegant shades of blue I've ever seen. It looks black - until direct sunlight hits it and the blue becomes luminescent from beneath the coat.

Yep. Those multi-colored metallic flakes are part of what Xirallic makes possible. Personally, I've never cared for Ford's Tuxedo Black Metallic - too speckly and busy and not deep enough for me. Glad to have a nice gloss black back. The color I really miss is Sterling Grey Metallic (had on my Flex Limited) and Dark Ink Blue Metallic (my wife's MKS) which is one of the most elegant shades of blue I've ever seen. It looks black - until direct sunlight hits it and the blue becomes luminescent from beneath the coat.

To be totally honest, Kona Blue is too dark for me. I like Vista Blue better and the new blue they're using to replace Kona Blue (can't remember the name) even better than Vista Blue.

With the Kona Blue, if the car isn't squeeky clean it doesn't look good. BUT...if it's clean, it looks GREAT.

I just prefer a slightly lighter shade of blue but Kona Blue was the only Blue available for 2010 so ya takes whats ya gets.

I think the Metalic Tuxedo Black is spectacular in sunlight. In shade (or when dirty) it just looks like black.

Phill

To be totally honest, Kona Blue is too dark for me. I like Vista Blue better and the new blue they're using to replace Kona Blue (can't remember the name) even better than Vista Blue.

With the Kona Blue, if the car isn't squeeky clean it doesn't look good. BUT...if it's clean, it looks GREAT.

I just prefer a slightly lighter shade of blue but Kona Blue was the only Blue available for 2010 so ya takes whats ya gets.

I think the Metalic Tuxedo Black is spectacular in sunlight. In shade (or when dirty) it just looks like black.

Phill

Phil, since we hava almost the same car (except for your mods) I also think that Kona is a little dark (in fact this is the darkest car I have ever had) but when the sun shines on it, BINGO!! I had a lady at a car show ask me if it was a custom paint job!! I heard one guy at the same show as I was driving away say " That sure is a pretty car!!" So I wouldnt trade it for anything. The other thing is that women love the color. I have probably had 10 women at shows have their pictures taken with the car. Anyway glad to see it shouldnt be a problem to have it repainted if need be (which shouldnt be for a long time I hope!!).

There is nothing difficult about custom matching KB. It isn't Mysticchrome. In 100 years from now anyone could match it too.

I don't think it's the BLUE that is hard to match. I think it's the metal flakes.

I had my 1/4 window scoops painted and have what's left of the Kona Blue (Paint Code: L6) in a can but now that I think about it, I don't think the scoops have the metal flake in them.

FWIW, the can is NOT a Ford Motor Company product, it came from a local Auto Paint store (a friend works in).

I can look at the can and see if it says metalic or not.

KInd of like the Tuxedo Black on my truck. Originally, the "Build One" section on the Ford site gave you the paint color option of "Tuxedo Black Metalic" and now it just says "Tuxedo Black". According to the article, it's just plain BLACK...which I think is the "Tuxedo Black" portion of the early Ford color, sans metal flakes.

I'd really hate to have a fender painted plain Kona Blue (or plain Tuxedo Black) when the rest of the vehicle has a bunch of metal flake in it. I think it would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm also ASSUMING that the factory in Japan will be back on-line at some point in time so unless someone needs the paint SOON, there shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Again, I THINK and I ASSUME...which really means, I don't KNOW.

Phill

I don't think it's the BLUE that is hard to match. I think it's the metal flakes.

I had my 1/4 window scoops painted and have what's left of the Kona Blue (Paint Code: L6) in a can but now that I think about it, I don't think the scoops have the metal flake in them.

FWIW, the can is NOT a Ford Motor Company product, it came from a local Auto Paint store (a friend works in).

I can look at the can and see if it says metalic or not.

KInd of like the Tuxedo Black on my truck. Originally, the "Build One" section on the Ford site gave you the paint color option of "Tuxedo Black Metalic" and now it just says "Tuxedo Black". According to the article, it's just plain BLACK...which I think is the "Tuxedo Black" portion of the early Ford color, sans metal flakes.

I'd really hate to have a fender painted plain Kona Blue (or plain Tuxedo Black) when the rest of the vehicle has a bunch of metal flake in it. I think it would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm also ASSUMING that the factory in Japan will be back on-line at some point in time so unless someone needs the paint SOON, there shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Again, I THINK and I ASSUME...which really means, I don't KNOW.

Phill

Phil, I had a guy I have known for 30 years with his own auto paint shop and I left the quarter window and side scoops with him and he matched them perfectly with the metal flake. When the sun shines on the side you would think they came from the factory. Maybe some one just left out the flake or didnt have it on hand and just mixed it without the flake. If that is the case I would have them do it over. Any chance you are ever going to get that car out here? I told you I would be willing to "look after it". With all your mods I might try to switch them but then you might be able to tell the difference,lol. Brad

Phil, I had a guy I have known for 30 years with his own auto paint shop and I left the quarter window and side scoops with him and he matched them perfectly with the metal flake. When the sun shines on the side you would think they came from the factory. Maybe some one just left out the flake or didnt have it on hand and just mixed it without the flake. If that is the case I would have them do it over. Any chance you are ever going to get that car out here? I told you I would be willing to "look after it". With all your mods I might try to switch them but then you might be able to tell the difference,lol. Brad

Hi Brad,

I'm not sure if my side/quarter scoops have the metal flake in them or not. Car is in the garage for winter so I won't be able to get her in the sun for awhile. Well, maybe this weekend since it's supposed to be in the 60's here.

Truth is, I never paid *that* much attention to the flakes but I never notice that they DON'T have them and I think if they didn't, they would stick out. And they don't. They look factory too.

I'm HOPING to make the Shelby 50th (Bash) in Vegas come this March. We have our Grandson living with us now so no telling when I'll get the car out to Cali but I really want to. I want to see how she feels breathing that cool fresh California sea level air.

Are you planning to hit the Shelby 50th this year?

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

As a fellow KB owner I agree with you. It starts to look purple the dirtier it gets. When it is clean ,as it is in my avatar (fresh off a Zaino treatment), it is gorgeous. I would rather have the older Sonic Blue -- that's a true blue.

Phill

Archived