TEAM SHELBY FORUM

DCT automatic for 2013 GT500

OneTrickPony

Since I purchased a new 2012 SEL Focus with the new DCT tranny (made by Getrag) I thought I would do some research about this new tranny. Ford says that by 2013 100% of all new Ford cars will have the new dry clutch DCT. Its already in the new 2011 Mustangs.

Now get this, BMW uses the new Getrag DCT tranny in its M3's and is going to use it in the new twin turbo Z4's. Also the Ferrai California and 428 Italia, Mercedes Benz SLS AMG and Mitsubishi Lancer Eveolution use a Getrag DCT tranny.The Porsche 959 & 962, LeMans Race Cars, and Audi Sport Quattro S1 Rally Car use this type of tranny which means it could hold up to the punishment. In 1983 the first series production road car to use this DCT was the R32 Volkswagon Golf MK4, although it was a wet clutch design. Now Getrag has developed a dry clucth application which is used in the Fords.

Could Ford suprise all of us with the new Getrag DCT tranny? If we do get the new DCT for 2013 in the GT 500, which would be faster in 0 to 60 times, quarter mile times and overall performance, which would you choose? What a way to upstage Chevy, more HP and a new DCT tranny.

I noted in one of the auto mags this month the Camaro ZL1 will have both standard and auto. I actually sent Ford a letter asking about the automatic option ever being offered in the GT500 and I got a quick response saying there were no plans to offer it.

What a shame,,,,,,, GG

these cars shouldnt have an auto

WHY? The older GT 500's used to have automatics.

Is it a machco thing? Whether you road race or drag race, automatics are the only way to go if you want to win.

I quess the wussie's that drive the Ferrai's, Porsche's, Mercedes, Lambrogini's etc. don't have the balls to drive a GT 500 manual transmission.

Is it a machco thing? Whether you road race or drag race, automatics are the only way to go if you want to win.

I quess the wussie's that drive the Ferrai's, Porsche's, Mercedes, Lambrogini's etc. don't have the balls to drive a GT 500 manual transmission.

Comparing the "autos" in a Ferrari to what Ford would put in a GT500?

+1

I don't mind if Ford decides to offer the GT500 with a dual clutch automatic. If they car appeal to a new audience by using an automatic then its fine. We should never forget that Ford's goal is to sell cars. If their intenr is not to offer an automatic, my guess is that their marketing studies show that only a small minority of potential GT500s owners would buy the car with a DCT auto, which would not make it profitable since the GT500 is already a niche vehicle. If you are splitting the current sales volume between twotransmission choices rather than substantiall adding to the existing volume, offering an alternate transmission choice does not really make sense.

That being said, event if an automatic was offered, I would personnally stick to the manual transmission. I don't care if I could shave a tenth or two on a quarter mile or porst a better time on a road course with an auto, as I am doing neither. Shifting the car is part of the fun of driving for me and I essentially bought my Shelbys to have fun.

is it a macho thing for you? have to be the fastest? i have had paddle shift cars and if thats what you have to do "to be the fastest

' then you can have it. it takes the fun out of driving. i would rather be a little slower and actually have something to do with it other than just mashing the gas. there is no soul in an automatic. i dont know why it always has to come to d*!# measuring. its just my opinion

Muscle car with a auto...I think i just threw up in my mouth a lil

Professional, or consistent racer sure an auto is the best for quicker times using very little skill, but most of us drive on the street 99% of the time and enjoy rowing the gears.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of the GT500 is shifting the gears or just leaving it in 2nd and having a little fun getting on and off the gas. BUT there are many people who just can't drive a manual due to bad knees, etc. So I can see the need for a DCT. Will Ford do it? I guess we'll know in a month or two.

I don't mind if Ford decides to offer the GT500 with a dual clutch automatic. If they car appeal to a new audience by using an automatic then its fine. We should never forget that Ford's goal is to sell cars. If their intenr is not to offer an automatic, my guess is that their marketing studies show that only a small minority of potential GT500s owners would buy the car with a DCT auto, which would not make it profitable since the GT500 is already a niche vehicle. If you are splitting the current sales volume between twotransmission choices rather than substantiall adding to the existing volume, offering an alternate transmission choice does not really make sense.

That being said, event if an automatic was offered, I would personnally stick to the manual transmission. I don't care if I could shave a tenth or two on a quarter mile or porst a better time on a road course with an auto, as I am doing neither. Shifting the car is part of the fun of driving for me and I essentially bought my Shelbys to have fun.

+1

Apparently all the dealer reps don't have to keep it a secret as I have had 4 different ones spilling all the details of the 2013, and there are some fantastic changes and the hp number they are throwing around is ridiculous.

If any of you want to find something out- call

Your local dealer and see if they had a rep in Michigan two weeks ago.... It's no secret anymore anyway. Only thing I haven't heard is the colors available

Apparently all the dealer reps don't have to keep it a secret as I have had 4 different ones spilling all the details of the 2013, and there are some fantastic changes and the hp number they are throwing around is ridiculous.

If any of you want to find something out- call

Your local dealer and see if they had a rep in Michigan two weeks ago.... It's no secret anymore anyway. Only thing I haven't heard is the colors available

The HP number is meaningless to me unless there have been serious changes to the traction.

Not in road racing un;less your talking some extreemly high end formula 1 thing

Not in road racing un;less your talking some extreemly high end formula 1 thing

Doesn't need to be Formula 1. Many modern sports cars have auto trans that are making the stick shift seems completely obsolete. Long gone are the days that they called auto trans "slush boxes".

Doesn't need to be Formula 1. Many modern sports cars have auto trans that are making the stick shift seems completely obsolete. Long gone are the days that they called auto trans "slush boxes".

Spot on. Never thought automatics could evolve to where they are currently. Anyone doubting the automatic in a sports/perfromance car should drive the PDK automatic that Porsche offers, simply amazing. Whammer is correct, manuals are on the verge of really being archaic at this point.

Untouched automatics in the GTs are running in the 9s. How bad could they be?

Some people just refuse to believe what today's automatics can do. I agree that a manual is more fun and just offers a more raw driving experience but performance wise the manual just cannot measure up anymore. But I'd still rather have a stick shift.

Untouched automatics in the GTs are running in the 9s. How bad could they be?

Back to quarter mile again - not roads, twisties, and things you do in your car other than race down the quarter mile. They are slushboxes on mountain roads. Terminally confused and no fun to drive.

I am not arguing which one will be faster @ WOT in a straight line.

Check some track times of manual versus autos.

these cars shouldnt have an auto

WHY not? C'mon explain why they should not? Before you jump to conclusions there are many people who would kill for a GT500 with an automatic because its just easier to drive and maybe offering a car with only a manual tranny is not fair to those who can't drive a manual car for whatever reason and I'm sure even some people with disabilities would like to drive one but can't because the automatic has never been offered. Sometimes just think before blurting a stupid statement

The fun to drive factor of a manual can't be touched by an automatic. I had a three year lease of a CTS-V a few years ago with a manual and it was great even as a daily driver. Drove a current generation CTS-V with an automatic recently and can tell you that they are straight line monsters.

Archived