TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Flex Seal Under coating

There is a commercial on TV in which they spray Flex Seal on a number of different items and the item becomes waterproof. They even place a screen door in the bottom of a row boat, spray the screen, and it is water tight. It is a spray on application. Would this be a good use on the rear wheel housings which were not undercoated?

There is a commercial on TV in which they spray Flex Seal on a number of different items and the item becomes waterproof. They even place a screen door in the bottom of a row boat, spray the screen, and it is water tight. It is a spray on application. Would this be a good use on the rear wheel housings which were not undercoated?

Alternatively you can just go to Autozone or similar and buy some Permatex (or other brand) spray undercoating ...same type product, but specifically made for undercoating, cheaper and no shipping ...it's virtually indentical. Believe me, that giuy in that informercial just custom-labels a similar product and pockets tehdifference -- and it's probably the far cheapest formulation that China exports at container prices.

Alternatively, you could use roll-on bed-liner ...even heavier-duty than spray undercoating and will dampen noise even better that undercoating, however with both you need to *thoroughly* clean the surface first based on the prep instructions on the can (they're differnt forumlations requiring different prep) and be sure to thro a plastic sheet over the whole car and and/or mask off a *large* area around the wheel-wells and anything else underneath that you don't want it on because both are a be-atch to get off once dry. An advantage of the bed-liner is that is that roll-on is less prone to getting it where you don't want it, etc, but still need to mask around the well-edge, etc Just some thoughts...

After having been involved in the modeling hobby for 50 years and using thousands of cans of spray paints, when I watch those commercials my first reaction is that there's no way that nozzle is going to work for more than ten seconds before clogging up, rendering the contents of the can worthless. I may be wrong, but I've never seen an aerosol can/nozzle that would stay unclogged when spraying stuff like that. Maybe I'm wrong and it works great, but I'm highly skeptical of anything that's sold in those commercials in the first place.

Is it even a good idea to spray on any kind of non-stock stuff like that on a collector-type car? If anyone ever wants to return it to stock (restore it) that stuff has to be a godawful mess to try to remove. I know I'd pass on something that was sporting some owner-applied material like that.

3M makes a real good undercoating, I use it all the time on my older cars, you can get it at Advance Auto, NAPA.

I bought all my undercoating from homedepot for half the price of any store and they also sell truck bed coating. They are made for automotive use and other things like fiberglass repair and bondo. The undercoating , I did my truck and car covered the area's nice and even dried fast. The truck got it from head to toe and it's a year or so ago and still there save a good amount of dollars.

Anthony

P.S Don't use foam spray on interior can be quite messy not saying that I would try doing it myself that would be crazy :sing_rain:

Also make sure you don't spray any linkage or fuel or brake lines !! Make sure you lay down plastic or something in case of droppings. It's amazing sticky it can get even when a toddler roll around on it !!! Remember safety 1st !!!

Archived