TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 SVTPP tire replacement

blankstare

I have changed out my Goodyears to Pirelli's on my 2011 GT500, just a few months ago....as well as the black stock rims...went to the Chrome Shelby wheels and in doing so I had to go to a 275 wide rear instead of the stock 285 rears. Also in changing the wheels I have 20" all the way around now

I was under the impression that I could not simply buy all 19's or all 20's due to the 3.73 gear ratio, the lower front end, and the Brembo brake clearance? Not sure if this is accurate or not but I would hope there was some logic in Ford making this decision?

You can clear your brakes with 18" 2007 GT500 rims. They are the same brakes. The front end isn't low at all. The gear ratio you can deal with by increasing the sidewall or just get a tuner and recal it. Find a 19" tire with same RPM ( revolutions per mile ) as the 285/35-20 and there you go.

I was under the impression that I could not simply buy all 19's or all 20's due to the 3.73 gear ratio, the lower front end, and the Brembo brake clearance? Not sure if this is accurate or not but I would hope there was some logic in Ford making this decision?

Caliper clearance is PURELY a product of the physical characteristics of the wheel you happen to be using - it's offset and backspacing. It just so happens the OE 20" SVTPP rear wheels won't clear the calipers if used up-front.

You're otherwise free to use any wheel or tire combination you can stuff into the wheel well that fits the bolt pattern.

Wanting to adhere to OE sizing to keep the speedo true is ONE thing, but being afraid to deviate to ANY other diameter, width or combination thereof is quite another. You'll do as much to change the car's driving properties by the different rubber and tread pattern than height, width or sidewall.

Sure, there are certain BASIC guidelines that make sense (or at least make things easier) if you stick to them - like keeping front and rear widths relatively proportional to keep the car's over/under-steer characteristics balanced, and the relative height of the front and rear to keep the rake the same, but these are only basic guidelines - and nobody says changing them to favor your own driving habits won't improve the car according to your taste.

Hell, even the speedo can be calibrated to taste.

Other properties will tend to hold true, like more sidewall being more comfortable and improving hookup a bit at the expense of being slightly less "precise" - and a narrower sidewall will give a much harsher ride and all that comes with it, but can improve a car's handling dramatically.

Keep in mind Ford only intended the SVTPP for about 20% of buyers - who'd be tracking their cars often. Instead, it's become more of an Appearance option that, in general terms, actually makes the car a WORSE daily driver.

By merely changing the tire make, model and/or type, you're already doing more to deviate from the baseline than NOT strictly adhering to 285/35-20 and 265/40-19 sizes anyway. You're only shortchanging yourself if you dismiss out-of-hand any good tire in a reasonably-close size combination for the sake of whatever numbers happen to be molded into your stock tires' sidewall.

Addendum:

My experience comes from once approaching the issue of escaping the SVTPP tires from EXACTLY the same perspective, not wanting to deviate from the plan SVT engineers had decided-upon after so much careful forethought and allowing the fact that no other tires exist in 285/35-20 and 265/40-19 sizing to paralyze my decision making - to my own detriment and at great expense to how much I COULD and SHOULD'VE been been enjoying my car more. Make no mistake - had I known then what I've learned since, I certainly WOULD'VE.

• 1 month later...

On the Pirelli homepage the PZero is new in the dimension 265/40 R19. The tire in this dimension is homologated for Porsche.Maybe beginning 2012 there will be the same size also available for Mercedes homologated. The difference betweeen thes both will be the real width of the tire. The PZero is also available in 285/35 R20

http://www.pirelli.c...heet/pzero.html (go to the button Reifen Dimensionen)

Good for you, GM Blows, concerning being upfront about the SVTPP. I almost ordered it for my 11 and decided against it, due primarily because of the suspension stiffness and limited tire availability. So glad I did. Don't track the car, so the stock suspension is more then adaquate for my needs. Its a pleasure to drive with the stock wheels and my newly acquired Continental All Season DWS's.

• 2 weeks later...

I got rid of my F1's at 16K as I didn't feel safe in cool or wet weather. Mine is a daily driver and I had never done any big burnouts and they still had 6/32 tread left. I'm sure I could have gotten 20K or more with my driving style.

Bill,

What did you replace them with?

I have been researching tire options for my (still in transit to me) 2012 w/SVTPP because I've heard bad things about the stock tires in cold or wet weather. I expect that, since as mentioned above the SVTPP is designed for track use more than daily driver duty, but I won't be tracking very often so I'd like to shoe my horse with a more forgiving tire.

For what it's worth, I've read very good things about the Continental Extreme Contact DW (Dry/Wet, not the DWS, which supposedly add snow capability?). Also read good things about the Nitto Invos, but the Continentals are where I'm focusing now. Many good reviews from all types of cars/drivers. Sizes wouldn't be exact, but close enough.

Google "GT500 extreme contact DW" and you ought to find the same threads I found.

I went with Continental ExtremeContact DW's. They are a super tire for the daily driver. There are a few posts on here about them if you do search.

I was completely sold on getting these tires...but now - after months of reading reviews and such - I think I'm just going to get the F1 supercar ones again. Not to say that the Continental aren't great tires...While there are some things I like about the DW tires...I think the F1's are better for me. Based on the reviews here are some points that helped me decide:

• Where the DW excels is the wet weather traction which isn't an issue for me. I can adjust my driving with the F1's - no big deal.

• While the DW aren't all season either (no driving in snow) - I have had no issues with driving the F1's in sub zero weather ever.

• The DW gives a smoother ride - really does not matter to me...never thought that the F1's were too harsh at all.

• The DW doesn't give precise and instant steering response due to softer sidewalls. I love the way the F1's are so quick to respond to steering input.

• The F1's grip amazingly in dry conditions around the twisty back roads. Never felt like I was going to lose control. Really no room to improve this aspect.

• The DW does have a higher treadwear - but that is subject to company to company standard. I get nearly 3 years out of the F1's. Which is plenty long for me.

• The DW are about $200 cheaper a set - really? $200 is nowhere near enough to be a deciding factor in tire buying.

I was completely sold on getting these tires...but now - after months of reading reviews and such - I think I'm just going to get the F1 supercar ones again. Not to say that the Continental aren't great tires...While there are some things I like about the DW tires...I think the F1's are better for me. Based on the reviews here are some points that helped me decide:

• Where the DW excels is the wet weather traction which isn't an issue for me. I can adjust my driving with the F1's - no big deal.

• While the DW aren't all season either (no driving in snow) - I have had no issues with driving the F1's in sub zero weather ever.

• The DW gives a smoother ride - really does not matter to me...never thought that the F1's were too harsh at all.

• The DW doesn't give precise and instant steering response due to softer sidewalls. I love the way the F1's are so quick to respond to steering input.

• The F1's grip amazingly in dry conditions around the twisty back roads. Never felt like I was going to lose control. Really no room to improve this aspect.

• The DW does have a higher treadwear - but that is subject to company to company standard. I get nearly 3 years out of the F1's. Which is plenty long for me.

• The DW are about $200 cheaper a set - really? $200 is nowhere near enough to be a deciding factor in tire buying.

I don't blame you. it depends on how you use the car. The F1's were rated slightly higher in handling and the dry but mine's a daily driver and I'm more concerned with driving in the wet. Wet driving on the F1's as they wore was scary at best sometimes and the few times the temps dropped in the 30's, I had the car want to hop a little sideways even a low throttle until they warmed up.

The important thing is for people to do the research and go with the tire that best suits their wants, needs, or driving style. :salute:

I don't blame you. it depends on how you use the car. The F1's were rated slightly higher in handling and the dry but mine's a daily driver and I'm more concerned with driving in the wet. Wet driving on the F1's as they wore was scary at best sometimes and the few times the temps dropped in the 30's, I had the car want to hop a little sideways even a low throttle until they warmed up. The important thing is for people to do the research and go with the tire that best suits their wants, needs, or driving style. :salute:

Hi Bill - Mine most definitely is a daily driver too. I drive in all kinds of weather - except when there is snow on the roads. I personally haven't had any trouble with driving in wet conditions or sub-freezing. But for sure...I've been studying and researching for a long while now and that was mine final conclusion to the situation.

Archived