TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alcoa rims

Hans

I pulled the trigger on a set of four 20X10, they arrived while I was out of town and were left at my door four very large boxes. :headscratch: They came with out anyone having to sign for them. :slapfight: Luck for me we always have someone watching our home. :worship: so the next week I load the rims into my pickup and drop them off at my special tire dealer 20min from my home. Than drive my car over to have them installed. The boxes were in good condition and packed OK. The dealer could not balance two rims as they were out of round (not true) on the inner lip and they would not balance. So in fact bran new rims two out of four were defective. I call Shelby and they said the fastest way to get two new ones was to buy two more so that what I did. They arrive with signature required and were double box from Alcoa. these were installed with no issues. I called Shelby and asked what they could do for me for all the hassle and expense of redoing the balance and installed. the agent I talked with could not answer my question so he put me threw a woman in charge i can't r ember her name and I left my information a team Shelby member 122, I was looking for a future discount code or something. I got no call back, as of yet it has been at least a week or more. :rant2: I payed big money for these rims and had to have them reinstalled at my out of pocket, I think I am due at least a phone call back? Don't know if my AMX card has been credit back either. I think I'm going to think long and hard about any other large purchases from Shelby.

I have a new set of 4 packed away in the event I need a replacement. Think I'll get them inspected for possible out of round condition.

Yeah, I did the same thing. Bought 4, opened one of each (10" and 9") to be sure they were what they were supposed to be but never inspected them other than to see they were the right wheels.

I'd be REALLY pissed in the future if I found out that I spent $2K on a set of wheels that I couldn't use. Mine are still in the original boxes and packing, stuck up on the high shelf in my garage and not easily accessable.

Then again, the OP is the only person I've seen or heard of with bad wheels...and TWO of them in the same shipment. How strange.

Phill

Yeah, I did the same thing. Bought 4, opened one of each (10" and 9") to be sure they were what they were supposed to be but never inspected them other than to see they were the right wheels.

I'd be REALLY pissed in the future if I found out that I spent $2K on a set of wheels that I couldn't use. Mine are still in the original boxes and packing, stuck up on the high shelf in my garage and not easily accessable.

Then again, the OP is the only person I've seen or heard of with bad wheels...and TWO of them in the same shipment. How strange.

Phill

How unlucky was I? The check is simple you place the rims on the tire balance machine and place a flat stationary object very close to the rim, rotate the wheel, the edge should be true all; the way around, those two rejects wobbled. I think someone sent me those rims from a different area in SI, they had to of been rejects from someone else. Still no one at Shelby wants to talk about this with me.

Someone from TS will work to make it right, make sure you speak to Sharon or Robert.

The problem is, there are no more (plain) Alcoa's left. They said they'll keep some Super Snake branded Alcoa's on hand for warranty/damage issues but that's it.

Phill

How unlucky was I? The check is simple you place the rims on the tire balance machine and place a flat stationary object very close to the rim, rotate the wheel, the edge should be true all; the way around, those two rejects wobbled. I think someone sent me those rims from a different area in SI, they had to of been rejects from someone else. Still no one at Shelby wants to talk about this with me.

I'll be mounting them up on an engine lathe to give a spin...................I'm sure everything is fine but always a good idea to check.

Thanks for the heads up Hans.

Tha

The problem is, there are no more (plain) Alcoa's left. They said they'll keep some Super Snake branded Alcoa's on hand for warranty/damage issues but that's it.

Phill

They are still listed in the Shelby Performance parts ????

I'm thinking that I was the only one to get two rejects! I thought that more folks had issues with the production of those expensive rims.

They are still listed in the Shelby Performance parts ????

So is alot of other out of stock stuff.

Try putting a set into your shopping cart and see if you get a message telling you they are out of stock.

Or I will.....

Phill

So is alot of other out of stock stuff.

Try putting a set into your shopping cart and see if you get a message telling you they are out of stock.

Or I will.....

Phill

I did & it worked. My problem is I ordered mine from our mod shop they came when I opened the 10" were okay but the (9" had Super Snake on them , they re ordered a week ago . So I have two that belong to someone that has a Super Snake & of coarse they want them back.

(9" had Super Snake on them , they re ordered a week ago . So I have two that belong to someone that has a Super Snake & of coarse they want them back.

Are the two damaged wheels the ones with the Super Snake badge on them???

Or are the two plain Alcoa wheels damaged?

Phill

UM

Are the two damaged wheels the ones with the Super Snake badge on them???

Or are the two plain Alcoa wheels damaged?

Phill

UM I don`t think I mentioned that any were damaged . The 10" are plain Alcoa with Shelby on them & the two 9" are the ones that have Super Snake on them.

UM I don`t think I mentioned that any were damaged . The 10" are plain Alcoa with Shelby on them & the two 9" are the ones that have Super Snake on them.

Oh, I thought you were the OP with the two rims that are out of round.

I assume that you know you don't *have* to give the rims back if you don't want to.

Phill

Oh, I thought you were the OP with the two rims that are out of round.

I assume that you know you don't *have* to give the rims back if you don't want to.

Phill

Ya but I have A non matching set of rims if in fact there are no more 9" rims available. I will just ask then to get me two rims that have Super Snake on them as we all know they are available but you must have a Super Snake to get them.

Ya but I have A non matching set of rims if in fact there are no more 9" rims available. I will just ask then to get me two rims that have Super Snake on them as we all know they are available but you must have a Super Snake to get them.

Hmm, this is really odd.

SOMEONE screwed up. I wonder if they sent you the two SS marked rims because they didn't have any plain 9" rims left....but you say they came from the Mod shop, and not from SPP? Or was that the OP that said that?

Yeah, if they can't get you two plain 9" Alcoa wheels I'd demand two 10" Super Snake wheels to match your front SS rims they sent you.

Like THAT'll happen.

It can't hurt to ask!

Phill

Hmm, this is really odd.

SOMEONE screwed up. I wonder if they sent you the two SS marked rims because they didn't have any plain 9" rims left....but you say they came from the Mod shop, and not from SPP? Or was that the OP that said that?

Yeah, if they can't get you two plain 9" Alcoa wheels I'd demand two 10" Super Snake wheels to match your front SS rims they sent you.

Like THAT'll happen.

It can't hurt to ask!

Phill

Yup we will see .

• 2 months later...

i called they won't sell any more all they have are warranty ones left and they cant sell them, so if you kmow a way i could get one please let me know

Run a search on e-bay and save it. If any new ones come up for auction they alert you.

I've seen both SS badged Alcoa's and unbadged Alcoa's on e-bay. The badged ones usually sell for a premium, but not CRAZY prices like the SS center caps I've seen sell ($900-$1000 for a set of FOUR SS center caps!!!).

You can also put a Want (wanted, wanting) To Buy/WTB post in the Team Shelby classifieds section of this site (and maybe even in the SVTperformance.com classifieds) and periodically bump it up to the top to it doesn't just fade away into cyberspace.

EVENTUALLY somone who bought a set of 4 (like I did) and has them sitting on a shelf may decided to sell them.....maybe!

As of right now, I plan to keep my 20" Alcoa's and eventually use them when it comes time to replace my KR tires. I mean, I gotta buy a set of tires either way so I might as well get a set of 20's for the SS style wheels instead of the 18" KR style wheels, when the time comes. The 18" KR Alco Dura-Brights may or may not be up for sale at that point, but I won't know until the time comes (I LOVE both styles, can't decide on one or the other!).

HTH,

Phill

Archived