TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New - 335/30 Pirelli P Zero for widened Alcoa's?

I looked at Tire Rack yesterday and noticed that Pirelli has a new 335/30 P Zero. I did some spec comparision and it appears that this P Zero 335/30 specs slightly narrower in section width (13.2) than the 335/30 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (13.5) and it also is very close to the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT in the 325/30. The P Zero is also close in overall diameter @ 27.9" vs. the Dunlop 27.7" which is also the original 275/35 P Zero diameter.

If this 335/30 Pirelli P Zero is in fact an reasonable option for a 11 3/4", 11 7/8" or 12" Alcoa, a Super Snake owner could move their original rear tires (275/35 Pirelli P Zero) to the front, and with the use of the 335/30 P Zero's on the rear, have tire match on all four corners.

Just a thought................

R

Good post Robert.

Yes, the Michelin's PS2's is the tightest fit, requiring the watts link.

I am glad there is an option, however, I am not a big Pirelli fan.

I think your Dunlop 325/30's are a much better tire and worth the extra $.

Good post Robert.

Yes, the Michelin's PS2's is the tightest fit, requiring the watts link.

I am glad there is an option, however, I am not a big Pirelli fan.

I think your Dunlop 325/30's are a much better tire and worth the extra $.

The price difference is $628ea. for the 335/30 Pirelli P Zero and $811ea. for the Dunlop 325/30.

It would be nice to see exactly how the P Zero's do fit.

I do not have much Pirelli experience except from my Super Snake build but it is nice to have a matching tire option for those who want all four corners to brand match through reuse of original 275/35 Super Snake Pirelli's up front. It was a "match" option that was not there before in Pirelli's.

R

I know they are a little shorter, but I think I'm going to try the new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 335/25/20. These are the new tires that are going on the Corvette ZR1's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Cup+ZP&partnum=325YR0SPORTCUPZP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

those are an inch short. might be a shorter than you think for looks wise and side wall traction

I know they are a little shorter, but I think I'm going to try the new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 335/25/20. These are the new tires that are going on the Corvette ZR1's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Cup+ZP&partnum=325YR0SPORTCUPZP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

With a 13.5" section width when measured on a 12" rim, those 335/25's are going to be in the same situation as the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's.......tight. Speaking for the 335/30's only, some GT500's are able to fit them with little to no inside rubbing, others require spacers which stick the tires out further and some guys have chosen to take them off and sell them because they do not want to use spacers. Some have used spacers, stuck the tires out, and they still had rubbing issues inside.

R

I have a set of widen alcoas waiting for a set of tires. anyway of getting perrelli to donate two to see how they fit and drive on the road?

just a thought:)

I don't believe it.

Pictures = proof. lol

What did you end up doing?

With a 13.5" section width when measured on a 12" rim, those 335/25's are going to be in the same situation as the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's.......tight. Speaking for the 335/30's only, some GT500's are able to fit them with little to no inside rubbing, others require spacers which stick the tires out further and some guys have chosen to take them off and sell them because they do not want to use spacers. Some have used spacers, stuck the tires out, and they still had rubbing issues inside.

R

Matching is nice, but performance is my goal and yes I probably am splitting hairs.

335/25's will be too small.

I have the Shelby billet watts link along with 1/8" spacers . The 335's do NOT stick out, they tuck in tight.

BTW, I am installing the SHELBY 8 quart oil pan tomorrow. Approx 4-6 hour job, but I will have help.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/s5se-6675-a.htm

I will have my girl up on my 2-post lift and I promise to take pics and post.

BTW, I am installing the SHELBY 8 quart oil pan tomorrow. Approx 4-6 hour job, but I will have help.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/s5se-6675-a.htm

I have one of those pans also. As with all of the other SPP I have purchased during the 10% and 15% SPP sales, I am a little slow at getting this pan installed. Please do post install pictures and information.

0012-1.jpg

0043.jpg

0024.jpg

R

I don't believe it.

Pictures = proof. lol

What did you end up doing?

I ended up opening the boxes to make sure it was what i asked for and to make sure they were not black and boxed them up and put on a shelf...LOL

Dont have the funds right now for a set of tires yet but im on the fence with the dunlops. these are the perfect tire thanks to ROB but the price is steep. then i considered the toyo r888 but you would probably go through 3 sets before using up the dunlops = more money.

I also been using the the car more often and not affraid of rain where the dunlops are way better than the toyo.

I guess ill see what happens come spring

Do you really want me to get them off the shelf and out of boxes for proof:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have one of those pans also.

<snip>

I am a little slow at getting this pan installed.

Please do post install pictures and information.

I have a tip for you guys with the Shelby 8-qt. pan.

I don't know if it's 2010 specific or not but I had to loosen the bracket for the oil pump pick-up tube so I could pull the pick-up off to the side a little or my pan wouldn't go up to the block. Once I put the pan up past the pick-up screen I bolted the bracket back on and continued with the pan install.

and I tried EVERYTHING to get it in place. And I had the K-member out with the engine supported from up top too.

Keep that in mind, in case your pick-up interferes with the opening in the pan.

Phill

http://www.shelbysto...s5se-6675-a.htm

Did you install the 8 quart pan?

If so, how did that go in relation to what Phill has mentioned above?

R

dbackg, where'd ya find those PS2's? I'm having an impossible time getting them. :(

I got them from Tire Rack earlier this year.

It appears that Michelin has no plans to make more.

I would go with the new Pirelli P Zero 335/30's.

If anyone is interested, I have 2 brand new Michelin 335/30/20 PS2's at $850 plus shipping. I ended being able to buy widened Alcoa's with tires mounted after I bought these. I only go about 3000 miles a year so won't be needing a second set for a while.

Did you install the 8 quart pan?

If so, how did that go in relation to what Phill has mentioned above?

R

Robert,

In my case it was really no big deal. Might'a added 5 minutes onto the install.....Once I stopped trying to force the pan up past the pick-up.

Remove a small bolt, hold the pan up with one hand, grab the pick-up with the other and pull to the Drivers side a TAD, raise pan past the pick-up, replace the bolt and continue on with the pan install.

It just would'a been nice if I'd known that prior to beginning my install. And FWIW, I'm the only one I've heard of that had to do this, which is why I said I'm not sure if it's specific to 2010+ or not. Maybe the '09E cars don't have the same fitment issue?

Phill

Archived