TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Tripping in a Shelby

gth0007

Just completed another road trip in my 2007 SGT. This time I went around 3,000 miles and did a lot of country driving in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Missouri. The SGT rolled over 60,000 miles about the time I got stopped in Jasper, Arkansas for speeding. (going down hill on Route 7 coming into town) The Arkansas state trooper was a nice guy, commenting that "someone my age" is unusual in a "fast" car. Anyway just a 65 in a 55 warning and added a little interest to the trip. The fun part about driving the SGT is all of the comments and questions you get about the car. Granted my car has a few mods so looks a little different than stock. Bumped into a fellow Team Shelby member and his wife and SGT owner in Lebanon, Missouri so our members are really everywhere. As the car rolled 60,000 miles I reflected on just how perfect this car has been. Since new, I've only added one set of tires ( used from Team member Cobra Scotty) and one battery, and several oil changes at my local Mt. Dora, Florida Ford dealer. I got a combined 23.4 mpg on this trip with all kinds of driving. Next trip is to Homestead, Florida for this weekend's, Nov 5-6, NASA (National Auto Sport Association) season finale for on track driving. I plan on taking the SGT to my grave, just a perfectly balanced car for trips, shows, and track events. I encourage all members to enjoy their cars and hit the roads and tracks, you can always repaint and repair !!! Just one person's reflections on a great car regards, Larry

I got a combined 23.4 mpg on this trip with all kinds of driving. regards, Larry

I think most of us have gotten this kind of mileage and does it not take you back to wondering what the heck the gas guzzler tax on our cars was all about? :headscratch:

Jim

Very Cool! I always love to hear about road trips and people enjoying their Shelby's. I've got two buddies with 2010 models and one has 1,600 miles and the other 4,000 miles. I just turned 16,000 in my 2011 model. I'm taking it on a business trip tommorow that will be 1200 miles miles over the next four days. Also love the "my age" comment. Few months back I got stopped for a 84 in a 55 on the interstate where it had just dropped from 70 mph. My wife said to the trooper something about "old guy with a new car" and the trooper knocked it down to a 71 in a 55. Gray hair can have it's advantages at times. :(

Enjoy your ride and it sounds like you do. :shift:

Very Cool! I always love to hear about road trips and people enjoying their Shelby's. I've got two buddies with 2010 models and one has 1,600 miles and the other 4,000 miles. I just turned 16,000 in my 2011 model. I'm taking it on a business trip tommorow that will be 1200 miles miles over the next four days. Also love the "my age" comment. Few months back I got stopped for a 84 in a 55 on the interstate where it had just dropped from 70 mph. My wife said to the trooper something about "old guy with a new car" and the trooper knocked it down to a 71 in a 55. Gray hair can have it's advantages at times. :(

Enjoy your ride and it sounds like you do. :shift:

Your right, at 63 years, I don't fit your average "fun car" guy. My wife of 34 years passed away 2 years ago and I've met a really nice lady who lost her husband 3 years ago, we're now engaged and loving the Shelby. Her late husband owned a 1966 Shelby so she really loves driving the car(s), even the FR500S. So maybe the Arkansas State Trooper saw an old guy and a really attractive 60 year old lady just having fun AND cut us a break. Just another fun story you can have while driving our favorite car. Larry

Archived