TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2012 GT500

SRE111

Hey Guys,

Just joined the forum, and bought a new 2012 Black SVT GT500. I love it, and it's beautiful. I have major plans for it horsepower wise. However, I do have an issue that I would like to share with the forum. I paid a deposit and signed all the papers needed. However, after i arrived home I saw a dent on the roof "passenger side". Not too big, I asked for them to fix it, the paintless dent guy said it had to be repainted. I am against it though due to salvage value? Let me know what you guys think I should do?

I only paid a deposit. Car was at a paint shop to cover up the holes of the front license plate, which also sucks for me cause they painted it. But it's a bumper, I can always get a new one, a roof is another case I guess.

All replies and opinions appreciated!

Thanks !!

SRE111,

Welcome to Team Shelby!

Personally, this close to the opening of the 2013 MY Order Banks, I would wait to order a 2013. They are expected to be an entirely different beast. A real M O N S T E R with 600hp+.

For me, the ding on the roof (following the drilled bumper) would be strike 3... unless the dealer is selling the 2012 at, or below invoice. If you really want the 12 and can negotiate $<invoice, great. If not, walk. In California the dealer is required to return your deposit if the vehicle is damaged prior to delivery, and it is.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

SRE111,

Welcome to Team Shelby!

Personally, this close to the opening of the 2013 MY Order Banks, I would wait to order a 2013. They are expected to be an entirely different beast. A real M O N S T E R with 600hp+.

For me, the ding on the roof (following the drilled bumper) would be strike 3... unless the dealer is selling the 2012 at, or below invoice. If you really want the 12 and can negotiate $<invoice, great. If not, walk. In California the dealer is required to return your deposit if the vehicle is damaged prior to delivery, and it is.

When is the 13 coming out? Because I plan to get my Shelby up to 800 HP, If it's a complete new model , Like a new design or cut then I would wait. However, I signed all the papers for the car, would I still be able to wait for a 13? I mean i'm not quite familiar with the laws in CA, I paid a deposit, and signed all the documents needed to prove that the car is mine. I really feel disturbed with the ding on the roof, and really not sure what to do. I appreciate your reply but if you can just give me a little more info on what to do that would be great ! (document wise) am I stuck with the vehicle?

thanks!

Hey Guys,

Just joined the forum, and bought a new 2012 Black SVT GT500. I love it, and it's beautiful. I have major plans for it horsepower wise. However, I do have an issue that I would like to share with the forum. I paid a deposit and signed all the papers needed. However, after i arrived home I saw a dent on the roof "passenger side". Not too big, I asked for them to fix it, the paintless dent guy said it had to be repainted. I am against it though due to salvage value? Let me know what you guys think I should do?

I only paid a deposit. Car was at a paint shop to cover up the holes of the front license plate, which also sucks for me cause they painted it. But it's a bumper, I can always get a new one, a roof is another case I guess.

Thanks !!

dont take it unles they give you big discount-- any paint job after delivery is never as good as the factory (unless you pay big bucks)--so eventually youll see the re-paint, same true on bumper.Why not PM SVT and see what you need to do--since you signed some papers taking delivery the clock may be ticking, ie you may have X number of days to return car.Or just go to the dealer tell them you dont want the car beacuse it was damaged and under Ca law your to get your deposit back--better yet send them an email stating that so you have it in writing--than see what they say

If you want 800 hp, then wait and go for the 2013. The '13 will probably be the last of the current style and rumors have the 5.8L with 600 to 650 hp from the factory. Or buy the '12, make them discount/fix it, then have a great trade-in later in the model year on a 2013 or wait a little longer on the '14. Depends on the depth of your pockets and how long you want to wait. :shift:

Hey Guys,

Thanks !!

I agree with some of the others. I wouldnt take the car unless I got a REAL BIG discount!! I would wait for the 2013 with the 600+hp and then maybe you wont need to spend the money for the mods of the engine. I had my 2010 dyno at the last Bash and had 475hp (stock engine) at the rear tires. Believe me that is plenty for the street and I cant imagine what a 2013 dyno would be like(540-550 at the tires?). Good luck.

i'm not quite familiar with the laws in CA, I paid a deposit, and signed all the documents needed to prove that the car is mine.

In CA, the car is not yours until you take DELIVERY of it and there is NO SUCH THING as a "non-refundable" deposit.

If you never took delivery of the vehicle, they can not make you accept it and I know this for fact.

However, if you did take delivery of it, Calif. has NO "COOL-DOWN" PERIOD. That is, once you take delivery of it, it's yours...no matter what.

A friend of mine and his lawyer wife were the attempted victims of Santa Cruz Harley-Davidson's attempt at forcing him to take a bike he signed papers for but never took delivery of. They tried to tell him it was his (he was backing out of the deal) until he said "not according to my wife, THE LAWYER". They immediately gave him his deposit back and apologized.

Phill

I was going to wait for the 2013 in the hopes of getting 600HP but I was able to get the dealer to take a couple thousand bucks off the 2012. Then I bought a K&N aircharger ($300) that is being advertised as 30+ gain in RWHP, which would put over 500 ponies on the pavement and about 590 under the hood. Also, the 2012 has the lighter, more efficient engine that avoids the gas guzzler tax (15mpg city). I'm not 100 percent sure, but the 2013 may fall back into that category. The money saved on the 2012 could be used towards the Whipple and tune mod you're probably looking at.

SRE111,

Welcome to Team Shelby!

My opinion, if you did not take it delivery, do not take the car for an additional PAINT JOB...unless you are SURE that is what you want it.

Now on your post SVT NAJA, do you have any idea when the BANK will open for the 2013? did you get any official info?

Thanks

braztang

Now on your post SVT NAJA, do you have any idea when the BANK will open for the 2013? did you get any official info?

The 2013 GT500 is set to debut at the Los Angeles (CA) Auto Show in mid-November.

I doubt very much the 2013 Order Bank will open prior to the debut but on the other hand I suspect it will open just after to take advantage of the buzz generated by the advance in displacement and HP.

So, I ASSUME that the order banks will open shortly after the LA Auto show (someone has the exact date, all I remember is mid-Nov.).

Phill

Hey, So basically to me the bumper does not matter as it is plastic, and it already comes painted.. as for the roof, painting does matter. The problem is I only saw the ding on the roof when I arrived home and opened the lights in my garage.

Having said that, that means I did take delivery of the vehicle. The ding is not big at all, actually if I was not inspecting the roof I probably would not have seen it. So, I am guessing I cannot back out, nor am I wanting to back out because I love the car, and I am guessing the 2013 will be available end of 2012, and I would just wait for the 2014 to trade in as I want to enjoy the car now. As for HP , 600 is not enough, I tend to enjoy cars that are very difficult to drive and scary fast.

Should I let him repaint the roof? because he is doing all of this on his expense, and I also visited the paint shop and it is one of the best in town and most expensive. Or should I ignore the dent?

Thanks guys!! really appreciate your time and replies.

SRE111,

It sounds like you're happy with your car and your dealer is fixing the roof ding at what appears to be a quality shop. As a compromise, have him (the Sales or General Manager) promise you in writting on their letterhead that you have first right of refusal (at MSRP) on a job #2 2013 or a job #1 2014 Shelby GT500 from their dealership. You may never use the option, but at least you'll have it.

SRE111,

It sounds like you're happy with your car and your dealer is fixing the roof ding at what appears to be a quality shop. As a compromise, have him (the Sales or General Manager) promise you in writting on their letterhead that you have first right of refusal (at MSRP) on a job #2 2013 or a job #1 2014 Shelby GT500 from their dealership. You may never use the option, but at least you'll have it.

Sorry, but what does that mean ? right of refusal on a job ?

Sorry, but what does that mean ? right of refusal on a job ?

SRE111,

Generally speaking, your dealer is given a certain number of "allocations" each year (somewhat based upon previous year sales) for each model of vehicle carried in their inventory. Many dealers only get a handful of Shelby's each season and some just one or two. The Ford manufacturing facility in Flat Rock, Michigan where Mustangs are assembled starts producing the new model year in mid-winter. This first run of cars is referred to as Job #1. Come mid-summer, the plant shuts down for several weeks for employee vacations and minor re-tooling of the line. When production resumes, these cars are referred to as Job #2 builds and these vehicles usually incorporate any mid-year updates to the product.

Since you indicated you might be interested at a later date in a 2013 or 2014, I'm just suggesting that you have your dealer promise you in writing (as a consolation for your flawed 2012 Shelby) the right to buy one of their 2013 or 2014 Shelby allocations at MSRP before any other buyer is considered. If you refuse the option, they can sell the Shelby to anyone at any price. Worth a shot given the inconvenience you've experienced. Good luck!

Archived