TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Laguna Seca Open Track Nov 25

Fat Boss

92 dB Sound Limit

The Monterey County restricts the maximum sound output level of all cars to 92 dB (A-weighted decibel scale) as measured by County officials. Any car exceeding the sound limit must immediately come off the track and must be modified to achieve compliance before re-entering the track. There are no exceptions to the sound limit. Failure to comply with the sound limit will result in disqualification from the event with no refund.

I've heard of this before. My track toy probably doesn't cut it. My GT500 might. :doh:

92 dB Sound Limit

The Monterey County restricts the maximum sound output level of all cars to 92 dB (A-weighted decibel scale) as measured by County officials. Any car exceeding the sound limit must immediately come off the track and must be modified to achieve compliance before re-entering the track. There are no exceptions to the sound limit. Failure to comply with the sound limit will result in disqualification from the event with no refund.

I've heard of this before. My track toy probably doesn't cut it. My GT500 might. :doh:

GT350 won't pass, 06 blown GT with KR muffs will.

GT350 won't pass, 06 blown GT with KR muffs will.

I guess I will throw some side exhaust disks back in. It just sounds so much better with the open side pipes!

Any rec's on what class to run in? It's my first true track day, but I have always been a study of driving fast whether it be in video games growing up, or driving "The Pelican" around with the 289 four speed for 10 years. I also drove once at a autocross this summer and went to a one day road course instruction school at Miller Motorsports Park and two of the four instructors were Joe Foster and Gunnar Jeanette. Both are professional Mustang drivers.

My question is should I go in beginner or intermediate? I'm inclined to go beginner, but I do now know how to get a Boss around the track pretty good based on the schooling I got in the Boss cars at Miller. Suggestions?

Here's a vid from Miller.

I guess I will throw some side exhaust disks back in. It just sounds so much better with the open side pipes!

Any rec's on what class to run in? It's my first true track day, but I have always been a study of driving fast whether it be in video games growing up, or driving "The Pelican" around with the 289 four speed for 10 years. I also drove once at a autocross this summer and went to a one day road course instruction school at Miller Motorsports Park and two of the four instructors were Joe Foster and Gunnar Jeanette. Both are professional Mustang drivers.

My question is should I go in beginner or intermediate? I'm inclined to go beginner, but I do now know how to get a Boss around the track pretty good based on the schooling I got in the Boss cars at Miller. Suggestions?

Here's a vid from Miller.

I'd go beginner then give yourself a safety margin while you feel out the track. You can always talk to the organizers and have them bump you up to the next group if traffic is truly slowing you down. I think the course will be big enough that you will have enough room to play. :shift:

I'd go beginner then give yourself a safety margin while you feel out the track. You can always talk to the organizers and have them bump you up to the next group if traffic is truly slowing you down. I think the course will be big enough that you will have enough room to play. :shift:

Thanks Snake. I think I'll go beginner to start.

I'd love to participate in racing on a track, but a v6 mustang will take too long to go around ;) That, and I'm not sure where leguna seca is...

Where / how do you get your start at these kind of events? Or for that matter, driving on a track period.

Thanks Snake. I think I'll go beginner to start.

Hi

If that's you driving in the video, then you will do fine in yellow or green. I tend to go yellow because it is less crowded with both my cars. If you get hung up in yellow OTEC will let you move up o a faster run group..

Also, it is a very good idea if you are unfamiliar with the track get an instructor to ride with you in the first session. Let's talk at the track.

Regards,

Michael

Hi

If that's you driving in the video, then you will do fine in yellow or green. I tend to go yellow because it is less crowded with both my cars. If you get hung up in yellow OTEC will let you move up o a faster run group..

Also, it is a very good idea if you are unfamiliar with the track get an instructor to ride with you in the first session. Let's talk at the track.

Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael. Yes that's me, much slower than my ride with "Front Row" Joe Foster at the end of the day but I thought I was going pretty good. I did get a chance to do two "Parade Laps" around LS in July at the Grand Am race. No matter how many times I'd hit the corkscrew playing video games over twenty years it just didn't prepare me for the cliff you drive off going into it! I'd love to have an instructor ride with me. See you there.

Andy

Is anyone planning on going to Laguna Seca the day after Thanksgiving? This just might be my first track day with the Boss 302.

http://www.norcal-saac.org/news/1111ls.htm

I am thinking about it. I will go in the Novice group if I do so I can get some instruction on the track. This will be my first time at LS if I go.

I am planning on being there! But bringing the '68 GT/CS track toy (#685).

Will have to remember to lift running up the hill next to sound station if the mornings are foggy!!! I can make 90dB in warm dry air in Monterey.

Anyone wanting more information about the "Laguna Bowl" or Nor Cal SAAC track events (including driver instruction or car preparation); please let me know.

Joe Praxel

President, Nor Cal SAAC

I am thinking about it. I will go in the Novice group if I do so I can get some instruction on the track. This will be my first time at LS if I go.

Just paid. It’s really a fun track Dana. Hope to see you there.

Knocked out some stuff today getting ready for LS on Friday. I installed my brake duct kit, flushed the brakes with Super Blue fluid, and put the trans "kitty litter" scoop on. Also dropped off the back wheels at Custom Alignment to have some new tires mounted. Just need to fab up a bracket for the fire extinguisher. Forecast still calling for no rain!!

Just paid. It’s really a fun track Dana. Hope to see you there.

Decided against it. I even signed up but cancelled in the end. The reason is that I have been away from home for 2 weeks on a business trip in Japan and I need to spend some family time this week as I am going to be on another short business trip the following week as well. I'll get on the track with you yet Andy; perhaps at the 50th Shelby Bash. Have fun at LS. The weather is looking good. Track may be a little cold and slick but should be good to run hard in the afternoon.

Decided against it. I even signed up but cancelled in the end. The reason is that I have been away from home for 2 weeks on a business trip in Japan and I need to spend some family time this week as I am going to be on another short business trip the following week as well. I'll get on the track with you yet Andy; perhaps at the 50th Shelby Bash. Have fun at LS. The weather is looking good. Track may be a little cold and slick but should be good to run hard in the afternoon.

I had to cancel as well. Going Christmas tree hunting with the family. I did however get out to LS yesterday with Mayor McGuirk. The weather was great but the track was slick the first run in the morning.

photo-83.jpg

photo-82.jpg

Can someone tell me what time to get there in the morning? I looked around the Shelby site and didn't see anything about timing..

Me too, can't find the start time anywhere. To be safe I'd plan on being there no later than 8am for a drivers meeting (?) followed by first run group.

great video, too bad you didn't have it running when you went for the "spin" in the Bondurant car.

Regarding sound, they give you a black flag with an orange circle (meatball) in the middle when you are over the limit. I got it twice on Wednesday and once on Friday. You get three strikes per day and can beat it by lifting after turn 5.

Andy,

Great vid of your Boss on the track at Laguna Seca...

great video, too bad you didn't have it running when you went for the "spin" in the Bondurant car.

Regarding sound, they give you a black flag with an orange circle (meatball) in the middle when you are over the limit. I got it twice on Wednesday and once on Friday. You get three strikes per day and can beat it by lifting after turn 5.

Thanks guys! It was a ton of fun. And yes I learned that you should always take the camera to the car you're riding in! Helluva ride sliding sideways at 60 through/over a short sand bag wall... I was 100% sure we were going to roll but we just blasted through, bounced, slid, and ended up back on the track. The car did not want to start or turn over at all afterwards so we had to ride the shame train back to the pits!

Can't wait to roll with you guys next weekend!

Andy

Archived