TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stripe and Scoop Saga - What I learned.

Just finished getting new top stripes and new hood scoop installed under warranty on my '08 Vista Blue coupe and the end result is beautiful! Thought I would pass on a bit of the things I learned on the 3 month journey that led to this result.

1) Expect the dealer service writer and even service manager to be relatively clueless about our cars and the unique warranty issues they present. Go armed with the documents already printed out. Most dealers only sold one or two SGT's and the service writer may have only started with Ford recently. All these people are busy, and the easiest and quickest thing to say is "NO".

2) Warranty on the Shelby parts, including stripes and scoop is handled through Ford SVT warranty.

3) Ford will want pictures of the stripe problems, and these are challenging to photograph effectively due to the reflective nature of the stripes themselves. You need a good digital SLR and spend some time experimenting with different lighting situations until you get some photos that really show the spotting, rust, etc. Put these on a CD that you can take to the dealer and give them to send to Ford SVT. Also, photograph the VIN plate on the door jamb and the dash plate with CSM number. Don't leave this step to the dealer, as they will probably assign it to someone in the shop who is doing good to know which direction to point the camera, and these photos are what Ford Racing relies on to make their decision!

4) The Ford SVT warranty folks were very courteous and seemed more interested in not assisting the creation of "clones" than in denying legitimate warranty claims. (In many ways a good thing from our perspective).

5) Apparently, when the hood stripes are replaced, Ford demands that the scoop be replaced as well. This is also a good thing as the new scoop is an upgrade.

6) Ford racing/SVT, via Shelby, sent a stripe "kit" to the dealer with stripes made of Oracal 970 Wrapping Cast Film with "Rapid Air" technology. Kit included the new scoop and fasteners.

7) My dealer sub contracted the stripe installation to a local firm that did an outstanding job. Just as good as Shelby! I talked to the stripe guy, and he says the vinyl stripes are only good for 1-2 years in our climate (South Texas) on horizontal surfaces. He doesn't personally warranty silver stripes on horizontal surfaces in this area.

8) Stripe guy recommended Flx-paint ( www.flxpaint.com) next time. 5 year warranty, or have body shop paint them on.

So I'm good for a year or two. Not sure if I'll ever buy another car with vinyl graphics again. You shouldn't have to supply this much energy to get the warranty coverage you paid for, but that's "life in the big city!" Hope this helps some of my other SGT colleagues with similar problems.

I had stripes and scoop replaced on both of my SGTs due to the scoop expansion. I got luck in that Shelby American (Bud) had the work done while the cars were in for the GT/SC supercharger upgrades. They do fade, and I was resolved that when they needed to be replaced again that I would just have them painted on.

I'm glad that the top stripes on the FGT are painted. The side stripes and Ford GT logo are vinyl though. I'm also told that the roundels on the Heritage are vinyl too which is kind of a surprise. The roundels on the Cobra are all painted on.

Just finished getting new top stripes and new hood scoop installed under warranty on my '08 Vista Blue coupe and the end result is beautiful! Thought I would pass on a bit of the things I learned on the 3 month journey that led to this result.

1) Expect the dealer service writer and even service manager to be relatively clueless about our cars and the unique warranty issues they present. Go armed with the documents already printed out. Most dealers only sold one or two SGT's and the service writer may have only started with Ford recently. All these people are busy, and the easiest and quickest thing to say is "NO".

2) Warranty on the Shelby parts, including stripes and scoop is handled through Ford SVT warranty.

3) Ford will want pictures of the stripe problems, and these are challenging to photograph effectively due to the reflective nature of the stripes themselves. You need a good digital SLR and spend some time experimenting with different lighting situations until you get some photos that really show the spotting, rust, etc. Put these on a CD that you can take to the dealer and give them to send to Ford SVT. Also, photograph the VIN plate on the door jamb and the dash plate with CSM number. Don't leave this step to the dealer, as they will probably assign it to someone in the shop who is doing good to know which direction to point the camera, and these photos are what Ford Racing relies on to make their decision!

4) The Ford SVT warranty folks were very courteous and seemed more interested in not assisting the creation of "clones" than in denying legitimate warranty claims. (In many ways a good thing from our perspective).

5) Apparently, when the hood stripes are replaced, Ford demands that the scoop be replaced as well. This is also a good thing as the new scoop is an upgrade.

6) Ford racing/SVT, via Shelby, sent a stripe "kit" to the dealer with stripes made of Oracal 970 Wrapping Cast Film with "Rapid Air" technology. Kit included the new scoop and fasteners.

7) My dealer sub contracted the stripe installation to a local firm that did an outstanding job. Just as good as Shelby! I talked to the stripe guy, and he says the vinyl stripes are only good for 1-2 years in our climate (South Texas) on horizontal surfaces. He doesn't personally warranty silver stripes on horizontal surfaces in this area.

8) Stripe guy recommended Flx-paint ( www.flxpaint.com) next time. 5 year warranty, or have body shop paint them on.

So I'm good for a year or two. Not sure if I'll ever buy another car with vinyl graphics again. You shouldn't have to supply this much energy to get the warranty coverage you paid for, but that's "life in the big city!" Hope this helps some of my other SGT colleagues with similar problems.

I have no patients to deal with vinyl stripes paint mine on with Dupli-color rattle can spray and sprayed clear then buffed and you would never no the difference. As far as warranty we had to replace the FORD emblem on my wifes truck the dealer took 5 pic's and had to wait a week for an answer of yes or no. Pain in the butt

This summarizes "some" of the hints and tips that can be found in the Hood Scoop thread pinned above. There are installation tips that prevent things such as a dimpled outer hood and such. Anyone doing this, in or out of warranty should take the time to review the Hood Scoop thread and minimize the many issues that can result from a poor installation.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31128-the-hood-scoop-thread/

Same with stripes:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37527-the-stripes-thread/

Thanks and glad you've had your issues resolved Dan!

Thanks. I did review the stripes thread and found much helpful info that got me through the process. Initially, I didn't read the scoop thread, since there was nothing wrong with my scoop, but Ford Racing insisted it be replaced along with the hood stripes.

This summarizes "some" of the hints and tips that can be found in the Hood Scoop thread pinned above. There are installation tips that prevent things such as a dimpled outer hood and such. Anyone doing this, in or out of warranty should take the time to review the Hood Scoop thread and minimize the many issues that can result from a poor installation.

http://www.teamshelb...d-scoop-thread/

Same with stripes:

http://www.teamshelb...stripes-thread/

Thanks and glad you've had your issues resolved Dan!

Thanks. I did review the stripes thread and found much helpful info that got me through the process. Initially, I didn't read the scoop thread, since there was nothing wrong with my scoop, but Ford Racing insisted it be replaced along with the hood stripes.

Win win!

:happy feet:

I suspect they know that the flexing of the older scoop can dig into the newer, and thicker, stripes, so they do both so not have you come back again in a few months with damaged stripes.

Archived