TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear License Plate Mount

2012WhiteGT500

I just got my plates for my 12 Gt 500.

Unfortunately I need to put on the rear plate now.

Has anyone found a good mount or good way to put it on so it does not scratch or rub against the paint?

Currently I am using a small plastic mount and I put weather stripping behind the mount so that weather stripping is against the paint not the mount. I am however concerned that condensation between the weather stripping and the paint will bubble or peel the paint off?

Seems like the best solution would be a device that keeps the plate complete recessed from the paint.

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks!

I just got my plates for my 12 Gt 500.

Unfortunately I need to put on the rear plate now.

Has anyone found a good mount or good way to put it on so it does not scratch or rub against the paint?

Currently I am using a small plastic mount and I put weather stripping behind the mount so that weather stripping is against the paint not the mount. I am however concerned that condensation between the weather stripping and the paint will bubble or peel the paint off?

Seems like the best solution would be a device that keeps the plate complete recessed from the paint.

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks!

I prepped the back top, right and left edges of the license plate with some medium grit sandpaper (400 or something like that). Scuffed it up enough to make good cohesion. Wiped it off, then wiped with alcohol to remove any remaining oils. Used clear silicone and ran a 1/4 bead around the top, left and right sides of the plate. I left the bottom undone to allow any water that might get behind the plate a route to drain. Installed plate after it was dry. Can;t really tell it's not up against the trunk when installed, but is definitely not touching. Has the added benefit of preventing the plate from rattling. Silicone is safe for the paint and will last longer than the car.

Easy thing for you. Go to a Lowes or home depot and purchase some rubberized or plastic furniture tabs. These are the little tabs/ buttons found on cabinet doors to keep them from slamming. I stuck 6 on the plate backing. Keeps the plate perfect against the car without the plate touching the car itself. Works perfect for me.

I used very small drywall anchors and a fiber washer to provide additional space. The fiber washer sits on the lip of the anchors so they don't touch the paint. It allowed me to use pretty small screws and the fiber washers keep the plate or anything else from touching the paint.

Archived