TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 as Daily Driver or Basic 4.6 Shelby?

Rev Dennis

Truth be told I am a life long foreign sports car guy who got bit by the Mustang bug and now the Shelby bug. I have a 2010 Mustang v6 vert premium as a DD, and 2008 Shely GT500 vapor silver vert as a garage queen. The power of the 4 cammer has me in it's hold. Is a GT500 a possibility as a DD or is a less complex basic 4.6 Shelby a better choice?

LORD help me!

If you want a V8 daily driver Mustang versus driving your 2010 V6(which frankly seems like a great option to me), you might consider:

1. A low mileage Mustang 4.6L GT.

2. A low mileage Shelby GT.

3. A new 5.0 which is also very nice in its own right.

Since you already have a garage queen with the GT500, I sense you would do the same with a Shelby GT.

Do you shudder about driving the GT500 in the rain? Or worry if it's cloudy or might rain(if you are out). Avoid driving the GT500 if there's a chance of rain?

If you are set on the 4.6L, go with option 1. You won't mind driving it in the rain and won't worry.

I am wondering how the supercharger on a GT500 will hold up with 50K or 70K miles on it, which it would get in a few years as a daily driver. It seems to me less complex things usually last longer. If the GT500 is durable I would rather have one as a DD. Just thinking a non-supercharged 4.6 Shelby might be a better option. I am looking for input from someone with a lot of miles on a GT500. Most I see have < 20K miles.

"What do u mean as a "basic 4.6 Shelby" - as in without a supercharger. Sorry.

My 2011 Shelby GT-500 has just turned 16,000 miles and is my daily driver. I probably have the highest mileage 2011 GT-500 on the forum. My previous daily driver was a 2003 Mach 1 and the Shelby is actually an easier car to drive daily. The clutch is lighter and with the electronic and computers, it’s very docile in the everyday commute. My commute is 7 miles each way mostly on a secondary road with half being at 50 mph and the other being 35 mph through three redlights and two stop signs and I normally average about 17 mpg. That is about half a mpg less than my Mach 1 did on the same commute.

My only real concern is the factory tires which are a summer performance time which don’t like cold weather or rain. I haven’t really had any problems with the rain as I’m extra cautious but in sub-40 degree weather, the tires are a little squirrely until warmed up. I getting ready to fix that and have a set of Continental Extreme Contact DW’s on order to put on in the next week or so. I’ve heard great things about them and the reviews are great. I’m more concerned about driving in the wet than the extra .001 G on a road course and the Continental’s are rated nearly as high in the handling as the Goodyear F1’s but much better in all other categories.

As far as the 5.4 supercharged motor holding up, these motors are over built from the factory due to durability and warranty concerns from Ford. One that’s left mostly stock and not driven with the boost gauge max’ed out daily should last longer than conventional Ford V-8’s. There is at least one member on the board past 100,000 miles on his.

I love my Shelby GT-500 and driving it every day. It turns heads and I know it will launch me into next week if I depress the throttle more than halfway to the floor. I’ve only enough garage space for two Mustangs and my other is a 1970 Mach 1 which is truly not a daily driver anymore. If I had the garage space for an additional car, I’d love to have a 2011 and up V-6 Mustang with its 305 hp and 30+ mpg potential. I’ve driven a couple and was amazed at the power and economy in the package.

I'm driving mine to the max and will let the next guy worry about restoring it. I ain’t got enough years left for my GT-500 to make to the classic years. :shift:

"I ain’t got enough years left for my GT-500 to make to the classic years."

Me neither. Thanks for the response Bill. :)

This one caught my eye.......

White GT500 without Stripes

White with no stripes. I bet I can get it for $30K.

I'm afraid I'd have to put a stripe on it to make it look like a Shelby GT-500. :doh:

Drive the GT 500---around here the dealers are running ads on the radio about special deals on the GT 500 so go ahead and enjoy it because it is not a rare car to be left as a garage queen. Enjoy it lol! You only go around once!

"it is not a rare car to be left as a garage queen.'

Yes, I know, but I am not one to fuss over cleaning a car. So I like to keep it out of the weather so I don't have to. No sense getting it dirty cause it's raining and I need to go to the store.

Don't you know? ( Sarah Palinism :) )

Most of us Shelby GT owners are very proud of our Shelby GT and some of us have put a supercharger on them which makes the SGT extremely impressive performance wise once you bolt the supercharger on it.

If you were planning on driving in the winter months I would recommend the GT500 as the DD and not drive a SGT in the winter. IMO I feel the Shelby GT will be more valuable and rarer than the GT500

With proper care and maintenance as well as accounting for normal wear & tear a stock GT500 should easily make 200K miles with little to no fuss (as long as you don’t have the clutch issue to deal with).

The same can be said for the V6, 4.6, and 5.0. There is no bad choice of a Mustang/Shelby as a daily driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Close behind ya...2011 SVTPP with 15,100 miles. My daily driver too. No issues.

Good for you, Brother! :D

Just replaced my original tires this week. How's your's holding up? Still had 7/32 on the front and 5/32 on the rear but didn't want to go through another winter of daily driving on the F1's. Got Continental ExtremeContact DW’s in the stock sizes and have been very please so far.

In case it was missed. I got the Shelby GT and intend to make it my garage queen and use the GT500 as my daily driver. The stiff suspension of the GT is great for handling. The GT500 is much softer but good for normal use. Taking it to Florida next week.

• 2 months later...

I nearing 70,000 miles on my daily driven SGT. Gas mileage is OK, around 24 on ethanol and 26 on real gas. Fairly comfortable, mine has an automatic, and I keep it looking nice. It sits outside all the time and is used on vacations and numerous long road trips. I have never gone a day when someone doesn't approach me with compliments on the car. Not bad for a 70,000 mile car. My total maintenance has consisted of one battery, and one set of tires, properly rotated, at 51,000 miles, and 5,000 mile oil changes. So the SGT is cheap to run, looks good, and I would keep the GT-500 as the "queen". Larry

Archived