TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Storing Vehicles

jmungiel

Dear All,

I have done some research and have decided upon 2 companies for the purchase of a 4-post car lift. Both lifts are manufactured in the USA by US citizens. Chinese manufactured lifts are not an option.

The lifts are the (1) Backyard Buddy 7,000 lb. Standard Four Post Lift by Backyard Buddy - priced at $4,195 and the (2) Black Max/Red Max by Superlifts.com - priced at $2,995.

I am looking to store my Shelby and Vette. I have a contractor who will make a catherdal ceiling in my garage and install modified garage doors to accomodate the lift.

Any experiences and/or input would be appreciated. Specifically, I'd like to know if you have any positive or negative experiences with these particular lifts.

Thank you guys!

I have a four post lift. What I decided was to upgrade to a 12,000 lb. lift that allowed the wider opening. see 25-1

pic 27-1 has the location of a standard storge lift with a distance of ~96" between posts.

The lift I installed is actually 123" between posts the right hand posts are against the block wall and the left hand posts are next the seam in the floor.

That illiminates having to shoehorn the lower car in between posts.

post-28860-0-43304900-1318366801_thumb.jpg

post-28860-0-15075700-1318367524_thumb.jpg

post-28860-0-43304900-1318366801_thumb.jpg

post-28860-0-15075700-1318367524_thumb.jpg

My first thought after reading your post was, an American mad 4 post lift for $2995, can that be? So I typed into Google the name Superlifts and was taken by surprise that many of the Google results had the word "rip-off" in the results. Seems that Superlifts has a lot of unhappy buyers, something you may want to consider. I seem to recall a friend of mine talking with this company at the Scottsdale Barrett-Jackson event and although they promised him they would call him after the auction was over he never heard from them. So if it is a must for an U.S. made lift I would probably go with the backyard buddy.

There are two options I would recommend. One is the drip pans and the other is the lightweight ramps. No matter the brand go with at least these two options.

Steve

the 2 vettes are gone --- new vette and GT500 replaced those 2

the complete door track system and opener had to be modified heavily

the tracks were modified so that they are against the ceiling 6" spacing

the door opener was scraped and an industrial wall mount opener was installed (this was 10 years ago --- there are other options available)

the lift unit is roller chain not aircraft cables ---- the rollers and chain assemblies, I felt were more durable

the unit is a 220 volt motor/hydraulic system

in the pic 37-1 you can see the hydraulic tank, motor, and cylinder assembly. The positive stop is the teeth along the horizontal frame

The lift is raised to the position of your choice, the swing arm lock mounted on the end of the cylinder will drop into a lock notch as you lower the vehicle an inch or so.

The ramps are floating. I had to make an attachment and weld it on the ramp to hold the ramps up when the lift is raised. You can not drive the lower vehicle into the lower space

with the ramps down. They hang to low. This is a design safety feature that keeps the car from rolling off of lift.

The garage ceiling is 10 foot

One major mistake I made. The horizontal cylinder frame should have been against the wall. No functional issue, just doesn't look as clean as it should.

This unit is American built also. I had it delivered to a towing company that has a dock and they delivered to the house on installation day.

post-28860-0-09902800-1318368061_thumb.jpg

post-28860-0-09902800-1318368061_thumb.jpg

Dear All,

I have done some research and have decided upon 2 companies for the purchase of a 4-post car lift. Both lifts are manufactured in the USA by US citizens. Chinese manufactured lifts are not an option.

The lifts are the (1) Backyard Buddy 7,000 lb. Standard Four Post Lift by Backyard Buddy - priced at $4,195 and the (2) Black Max/Red Max by Superlifts.com - priced at $2,995.

I am looking to store my Shelby and Vette. I have a contractor who will make a catherdal ceiling in my garage and install modified garage doors to accomodate the lift.

Any experiences and/or input would be appreciated. Specifically, I'd like to know if you have any positive or negative experiences with these particular lifts.

Thank you guys!

I have a four post BendPak and replaced the overhead chain driven garage door opener with a wall mounted LiftMaster and moved the garage door tracks up closer to the ceiling. I went with Bendpak after researching on this site, looking at what local garages had installed and overall customer service (ease of orderding, delivery and setup).

M.

I have a Superlift 4 post in my garage, it's ok for storage, but I wasn't happy with the service for sure. It took about three months to get after I paid for it. So wasn't thrilled about that for sure. For my work lift in my shop, I have a two post Rotary. That thing I love! Two post is much better for working on a car, but a 4 post is probably best for storage.

DMCparty11103.jpg

Moroso_exhaust_004.jpg

Dear All,

Thank you guys!

The 4 post Bend Pack at my Dad's shop is nice and has the ability to lift the vehicle off the deck using hidden built in jacks that come out of the deck. Its great for tire changes and suspension work and doesn't take up space like the rolling bridge jacks. Its the best of both worlds

Thanks for all the input fellas. Great advice and will be taken into consideration. I am now leaning towards Bendpak HD9 model and getting drip pans.

I love my Bendpak lift. It is awesome and very safe!!

DSC01126.JPG

DSC01287.JPG

Archived