TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Trailer Hitch

Geos05GTVert

Anyone know of a trailer hitch that works on a 2011 GT500? I've heard of issues with bumper deformation and trimming etc... I just want a Class 1, 1 1/4" Hitch that fits with out issue? Anyone that has a GT500 could comment I would appreciate it. Any tips on installation would be most appreciated.

Funny that people ask why... Not everyone buys their cars to race.

I remember when...about 1980, a friend went to look at a '70 Torino 429 CJ an older guy was selling. When my friend asked about the trailer hitch on it, the guy said he bought the big-engined Torino to pull his boat; he wanted the power. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Not sure why you would want to put a trailer hitch on a Shelby GT 500 ???:headscratch:

Pull my jetski or bike rack. There are times when I dont have access to my wifes SUV. I cant belive nobody with a GT500 has put a hitch on thier car. I had a hitch on my 96 Cobra, 03 Terminator vert, 05 GT Vert (Turbo) now my 2011 GT500 vert. Lets just say it runs in the family :-)

However I will NOT put one on if I have to trim or modify anything. I simply want a bolt on 1 1/4" hitch.

I looked for one too for about a week to be able to pull a small trailer to the strip with extra tires and tools and what not. I found 1 after a ton of looking. I'll try and find the link and post back. Jetski's, Small camper trailer, small trailer for the track, etc...I think its a great idea.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Trailer-Hitches/2011-Ford-Shelby-GT500-8-cyl-2DR-RWD?vehicleId=37936

Anyone know of a trailer hitch that works on a 2011 GT500? I've heard of issues with bumper deformation and trimming etc... I just want a Class 1, 1 1/4" Hitch that fits with out issue? Anyone that has a GT500 could comment I would appreciate it. Any tips on installation would be most appreciated.

Geos05GTVert,

Here is a link on TS that discuss a hitch on a GT500...

See post #11 here http://www.teamshelb..._1#entry1121000

It really IS funny how some folks respond to questions as if the person asking wouldn't have decided there's a reason he'd like to know.

Maybe he wants to be a good Samaritan and offer free tows home to Camaro's that broke-down in embarrassment.

I looked for one too for about a week to be able to pull a small trailer to the strip with extra tires and tools and what not. I found 1 after a ton of looking. I'll try and find the link and post back.

I see this at the track quite often. No problem with that. :)

I just installed one on my 2007 SGT for all of the reasons listed above... Trailering tires and tools to the track... Hauling my catering equipment to Shelby related events in the future... Even put together a tow hook to use in case of having a bad day on the track... Yes, I had to cut out a little bit of my rear facia for the hitch to fit cottectly... But I've also drilled holes in the front one for brake cooling ducts and added the GT-style rear spolier to my trunk lid... Will post pics later, as I am using my phone right now and can't upload anything...

I wonder if the hitch with receiver would be stout enough to use for the rear towhook point if needed at the track. Then you wouldn't have to get under the car to hookup from the rear. I've mounted the front tow hook, but don't want to have to cut the body to mount the FR rear tow hook. All the pictures I've seen of the rear FR TH mounted require you to remove the rear license plate at the track so you can access it if needed.

That was a quick response...Question answered while I was typing and posting.. Thanks 07SGT0547. :lol: :

I wonder if the hitch with receiver would be stout enough to use for the rear towhook point if needed at the track.

If circumstances are such that you're needing to yank your GT500 by the backsides, manufacturer-recommended tow weight is probably WAY down the list of concerns at that point. :)

The (etrailer) hitch is rated at 2K lbs towing and 200 lbs tongue weight. Probably ideal for the intended purpose.

I just wish Ford made more vehicles with integrated towing with enough weight certification to tow a trailered GT500 and supplies. Having to trade my Transit Connect for an Econoline - but then again, there's now room for the waterbed.

I looked for one too for about a week to be able to pull a small trailer to the strip with extra tires and tools and what not. I found 1 after a ton of looking. I'll try and find the link and post back. Jetski's, Small camper trailer, small trailer for the track, etc...I think its a great idea.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Trailer-Hitches/2011-Ford-Shelby-GT500-8-cyl-2DR-RWD?vehicleId=37936

Thanks Alex I came to the same conclusion. There about $240 installed. I called a local UHAWL by my house they said they would have to order it. Looks like this is the route I'm going to take.

Glad you found it Geo, but PLEASE don't let them install it on your car. Every uhaul employee anywhere in my area is one tiny chromosome away from flinging poo at the zoo. The have no business wrenching on a shelby. I urge you to find a reputable shop in your area to do the work.

post-8727-0-44883000-1318283580_thumb.jpg

Do you have any pics of the lower fascia mod? I've been thinking of the same for my '12. I'd like to tow behind a little 40"X48" with drag tires and tools for the drag strip and maybe a set of tires for the road course too. Otherwise it is drag radials and AAA card :lol:

Do you have any pics of the lower fascia mod? I've been thinking of the same for my '12. I'd like to tow behind a little 40"X48" with drag tires and tools for the drag strip and maybe a set of tires for the road course too. Otherwise it is drag radials and AAA card :lol:

Not sure if you actually have to cut anything from the 2010 - 2012 rear facia??? But here is all that I needed to cut out for my 2007 SGT...

post-8727-0-60036100-1318389411_thumb.jpg

Used a small Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel... Just take your time and keep a steady hand...

Let me know if you have any other questions or need more pics :camera:

post-8727-0-60036100-1318389411_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

So back again just curious if anyone has actually installed a hitch on a 2011 GT500 <--- my baby :-)

You can do it, but the whole crossmember will hang down below the rear fascia... No way to "hide" it behind the lower section, since that piece covers most of the underside between the rear muffler hangars...

Not saying it won't work, but there's no way to make it look as "clean" as I did on my 2007 SGT... Therefore, I won't be installing one on my 2012 BOSS :-(

Archived