TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New SS Delivered with clear coat abrasions

Rooster

Just got my 2011 Kona Blue Super Snake delivered via Gran Turismo Motorsports, The delivery was made at midnight and car was covered in dust and oily smudges. I signed a delivery contract that released delivery Co. from any damage.The following morning after I hand washed car and inspect in sun light.The entire car especially front quarter panels are covered in abrasions in clear coat. Appear to done by someone wiping car off with a dry towel. They are not circular but rather straight lines. I have contacted Shelby and so far received no advise.I have no idea who is responsibleI. At this point I have to assume responsability . I was nieve ! I did not fly out to Vegas to inspect car before shipping, I now know that was a mistake.

Here is my Questions..........

Is this a normal expected result of having a new car modified at Shelby?

Can it be repaired? If so how?

Should I just forget it and drive it?

It seems a shame to have a 100 K in a car with damaged clear coat with 22 mi on od.

Please Advise ......

Here is my advise for you................. go to vegas !

Assuming your Shelby was delivered to SAI without the damaged clear coat, somewhere along the way (and probably during transport) it was. When signing for freight (especially in the middle of the night when it's hard to detect damage), ALWAYS sign with the caveat "Received, subject to inspection". Good luck getting the damage fixed...

I've been to Vegas and watched the crew prep a car in the "light bay" prior to shipping. I was pretty impressed. I also was there when they prepped my SS before I could take it. Unless some very strange and huge mistake was made, I HIGHLY doubt it was scratched at Shelby. In any case, it sounds like nothing a quality finisher couldn't take care of with ease.

Sorry to hear about the damage...

This is by no means normal. I too have been to SAI in Vegas and have watched them prep shelbys in the "light bay"

They remove even the slightest imperfections prior to releasing cars. So I don't think they had anything to do with it.

A good detailer with an orbital buffer that has a clutch in it can fix this in no time.

Ditto. I totally agree with Grabber.

I have a buffer from Sears (Craftsman) and light scratches in the clear-coat can be buffed right out. Hell, a good hand wax might take them out (try it, it can't HURT).

As for it happening at Shelby, like others have said....I doubt it. They put the car into "The House of Lights" and inspect it inch-by-inch before it gets signed off. Scratches like you describe would NEVER make it through The House of Lights (I've seen it too!).

Most likely, the shipping company noticed that the the car was filthy and rather than do it *right* (wash it with WATER and a light soap) they wiped it down with a dry towel (without rinsing the dirt off first) and the dirt scratched the clear-coat. Just remember, sand paper is really nothing more than "a bunch of dirt" (sand) glued to a piece of paper! A towel on a dirty surface is the same thing. Never never NEVER wash a car witout first rinsing the ENTIRE car off with clear water.

I had some chaffe<sp?> marks on the edges of my front fender just behind where my fender covers were, from where my drop-light cord rubbed against it when I was doing all the mods to my car. I thought I was screwed but a good buffing with a HAND APPLIED (Carnuba) WAX took the marks right off. Don't just wipe it on and expect the scratches to disappear because they won't. Rub it in until the wax starts to dry and then a little more. Put some ELBOW GREASE into it and you'd be REAL surprised how shiney you can make that car (mine is also Kona Blue!).

I don't think it's as dire as you believe it is but good luck just in case,

Phill Pollard

You should go to any Dealership.....Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Honda, etc........ and watch the Porter for a while. They take the New Cars out back and I have seen them use a "Truck Washing Brush" on the Vehicles, YES, including Shelby's. The Porters are Part Timers usually and most Dealers don't spend that much on Cleaning the Cars. They don't Care as much as we do about them. You would get better service at a "Hich School Car Wash". There is very few people I will trust to wash my Car, and not a single one works at a Dealership. I would guess that what you are seeing happened at the Dealership. I was at Mike Davidson Ford in Jacksonville on Friday and they have a new 2012 Black GT 500 and a 2012 Red GT 500, both with Stripe Delete and BOTH had Spider Webing in the Clear from who ever washed the Car. They were both Shiny but full of the Spider Webing.

Thanks everyone for the info, I felt if it had happened at dealership Shelby would have caught it as they detailed it prior to shipping out, I believe it was the shipping as well, I'll get it buffed out,

I use Meguiars "Ultimate Compound". It is easy to use and works wonders. It is a little work but great results.

Archived