TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford racing intake installed

Hey guys finally installed the manifold and can't believe how it sits. Also the amount of crap on the charge motion. I pulled 2 sparkplugs and they were perfect also came out with no effort. I also changed my thermostat to 180 and now with the new manifold you can't near the housing. I will try and find a way of moving the thermostat from that location. I'm sure they make something to do that.

I was going to paint the manifold but didn't will wait to see how the car runs. I also going to speak to FORD racing technicians and a buddy of mine about adding the charge motion plates from steeda. I know that if that was done it would sit higher but the ram air hood will give it room. Plus installing the adjustable engine mounts will drop it down. Also going to move the mass air flow and filter into the bumper. I will use pcv to run it to the manifold and pcv does not absorb heat. I hope before doing this my car gets a dyno run.

Anthony

Longer runners will give more topend its pretty much copy of the Boss set up. As, I told my good friend a good mechanic or tech. Will be able to make a part fit if needed to most these days just replace parts. I remember working at a ford dealer and rebuilding everything unless if the part was damaged. So as too the steeda plate fitting is the least of worries and don't knock the leaf blower idea. What is the difference of Paxton and the leaf blower both push air. The Paxton turns off the engine an electrical blower does not tax the engine look at all the electronic advances. We are running electric cars that can beat a gas vehicle we would not be where we are today. Thinking outside the box leads to new ideas me and my brother at age 3 would strip are toy robots down. Then try to interchange parts of other robots but of course failure. Then my parents got us a chemistry set at age 10 that was taken away after the explosion. Lesson learn don't mix bleach with any other chemicals then add a flame to it.

A leaf blower just blows. a paxton/whipple/etc compresses. no comparison at all.

[/quot

I will just have to show up at house and just blow you away then you will believe me !!! How about nitrous on my tractor then ???? :sing_rain:

There were 2 things that , I didn't like on the manifold one the allen key crap bolts to easy to strip the second why not a heat shield under the manifold. Plus the fuel line is under the intake heating the fuel. I was going to run a longer fuel line around the back of the manifold it would be a lot cooler. But for sure a heat shield would be a nice up grade !!!

Yes or no

I don't think the fuel line going under it should matter, mine (and several others) run the line under a blower with no adverse effects.

Not sure on the heat sheild to keep the manifold cooler, but I would venture to say based on touching my stock intake that they don't get "hot" really.

A leaf blower just blows. a paxton/whipple/etc compresses. no comparison at all.

I saw the leaf blower thing on a car show on speed channel once. they tested an older version of the corvette mid 90's and used twin leaf blowers. It worked from what they said, pretty funny though. Talk about a whine of a different kind huh? Eletric leaf blower noise, always music to the ears. That'll turn alot of heads.

I saw the leaf blower thing on a car show on speed channel once. they tested an older version of the corvette mid 90's and used twin leaf blowers. It worked from what they said, pretty funny though. Talk about a whine of a different kind huh? Eletric leaf blower noise, always music to the ears. That'll turn alot of heads.

Hot Rod mag had the same car I believe, they also took a sawzall to it to lighten it up...;@)

Seriously funny article, the leaf blowers actually helped...a little. Thiers were gas powered.

HAHAHAHAHA, I just googled that... with two of them, they made about 20 extra hp and 20 ft lbs.... sounds like they push 1 psi or so LOL

Now if I could only rig 20 leaf blowers up to all run off my one fuel system and have progressive throttle linkage and feed into some octopus style air intake system....

Pull starting them all before the race would be tiring though.

I told you guys it can be done !!! Call me crazy who's crazy now :sing_rain:

I'm still not sure that 20 leaf blowers attached to your car isn't crazy. The little bit of logic I haven't killed with beer tells me that even running 20 of them damn things you likely wouldn't see the psi needed to create real power. there's just a limit to how much they push even collectively. I can't wait to see your dyno sheet on it though!

I'm still not sure that 20 leaf blowers attached to your car isn't crazy. The little bit of logic I haven't killed with beer tells me that even running 20 of them damn things you likely wouldn't see the psi needed to create real power. there's just a limit to how much they push even collectively. I can't wait to see your dyno sheet on it though!

My point is anything pretty much can be done. Lets take a kenbell super charger remove the shaft that is turned by the engine and add an electric motor to it. I'm sure someone out there can make a electric motor powerfull enough to make the blower work.. If you use a gear ratio set up you wont need that much power to spin it.

Same as the 1st Mad Max movie when he can engage and disengaged the blower it could be done with a clutch set up similar to the A/C clutch set up.

Jim, I agree with you the one leaf blower wouldn't do much. But when, I seal up my intake box and ran the flex tube from the front air scoop and stuck the leaf blower outlet to the scoop the engine went crazy. In idle the car almost stalled picked the rev's and smoothed out which told me I have a good seal of my air box and only outside cool air will be drawn in. But it would be curious to see what the electric leaf blower would do on a dyno ????

My point is anything pretty much can be done. Lets take a kenbell super charger remove the shaft that is turned by the engine and add an electric motor to it. I'm sure someone out there can make a electric motor powerfull enough to make the blower work.. If you use a gear ratio set up you wont need that much power to spin it.

Same as the 1st Mad Max movie when he can engage and disengaged the blower it could be done with a clutch set up similar to the A/C clutch set up.

Jim, I agree with you the one leaf blower wouldn't do much. But when, I seal up my intake box and ran the flex tube from the front air scoop and stuck the leaf blower outlet to the scoop the engine went crazy. In idle the car almost stalled picked the rev's and smoothed out which told me I have a good seal of my air box and only outside cool air will be drawn in. But it would be curious to see what the electric leaf blower would do on a dyno ????

Pretty sure that wasn't really functional in the movie lol.

you could MAYBE do this with a centri, but if a roots style isn't turning, air can't get in (99% sure).

Pretty sure that wasn't really functional in the movie lol.

you could MAYBE do this with a centri, but if a roots style isn't turning, air can't get in (99% sure).

we may have call myth busters or The car show screw TOP GEAR they need to get rid of Anthony Ferraro he can go back to telling guido jokes in little italy. I bet he never even played with a matchbox car. let alone know what it was !!! :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

Hot Rod mag had the same car I believe, they also took a sawzall to it to lighten it up...;@)

Seriously funny article, the leaf blowers actually helped...a little. Thiers were gas powered.

who remembers the snow mobile motor mounted in a Can-Am car in the late 60's early 70's?????????

who remembers the snow mobile motor mounted in a Can-Am car in the late 60's early 70's?????????

The snowmobile motor was used to spin a couple fans that created suction under the car providing near limitless traction. It worked, but they car in general had all kinds of issues and was never competitive. The fans were banned by the SCCA the following year.

I remember reading about the snowblower engines. Pretty cool idea!

So I once had a utility van with an air compressor that was set up with a auto air pressure valve (standard compressor looking switch) off of what looked like an A/C pump exactly, that was then plumbed into a compressor storage tank under the body of the van. It would go up to 120psi.....just like a small shop compressor.

Soooooo, why not ditch the A/C set this up with tank in trunk, regulate it to the engine at say 5-8 psi and if ya dared to try it you may have a cheap, makeshift forced induction system that runs off of a a/c compressor...

Many issues I'd bet, but the theroy may work?

Cheers!

The snowmobile motor was used to spin a couple fans that created suction under the car providing near limitless traction. It worked, but they car in general had all kinds of issues and was never competitive. The fans were banned by the SCCA the following year.

Yes. If I remember correctly it was Jim Hall's Chapparall. White with a large rear wing and a plexi glass window in the side. The vehicle had lexan side skirts and when the snow mobile motor kicked on it sucked the car down to the track. It was always thought that Chevrolet engineering was behind this early ground effects system.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally forgot about this topic anyway took the car out ran on the highway since the car hasn't really moved in a year. I pulled off the highway and played around with the SCT and adjusted the settings. I upped the spark timing by 1degree and the WOT upped 2 % took the car on nice staight road car pulled nicely with no pings. I pulled over and upped the timing again by 1 degree so its 2 degree's then on the WOT set that on 4% . I pulled back on the straight away and jumped on it slipping the clutch on 1st so there would be less tire spin banged 2nd broke the tires loose banged 3rd and the car just pulled all the way to 5th. The manifold alone made the car idle better but messing with the computer. That made a big difference and my Kumho tires are still amazing me even in cold weather the tires grab and it hurts my back and neck when breaking traction. Then when it grabs its like getting slammed by a bus !!!

• 1 month later...

I totally forgot about this topic anyway took the car out ran on the highway since the car hasn't really moved in a year. I pulled off the highway and played around with the SCT and adjusted the settings. I upped the spark timing by 1degree and the WOT upped 2 % took the car on nice staight road car pulled nicely with no pings. I pulled over and upped the timing again by 1 degree so its 2 degree's then on the WOT set that on 4% . I pulled back on the straight away and jumped on it slipping the clutch on 1st so there would be less tire spin banged 2nd broke the tires loose banged 3rd and the car just pulled all the way to 5th. The manifold alone made the car idle better but messing with the computer. That made a big difference and my Kumho tires are still amazing me even in cold weather the tires grab and it hurts my back and neck when breaking traction. Then when it grabs its like getting slammed by a bus !!!

So, you like it?

Archived