TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ran flat

well i got my 1st flat on my SGT. it was the valve stem on my right front. i thought i had those replaced after recall. anyway i drove 10 miles on a flat and thought it was just a low tire when the TPMS light came on. the car didn't handle any different either and thats why i didnt notice. they are low profile enough too for me to not notice the car leaning. got home and was goin to check the tire presure and the thing was flat as a pancake. all it did to the tire was wear a slight grove around the tire wall facing toward the motor. the rim wasn't damaged either.

i swapped the full size tire i had in my trunk and put it on the wheel and put the one thats flat on the spare wheel. i think its good for using as spare. i dont really want to keep it on the car.

my guess is that these are run flat tires? anyone know?

also meant to add that the ford dealership here quoted me a new tire the BF Goodrich G-Force T/A for $234 a piece. but the tire rack has them for $172. plus it's $16.54 per tire if u want to add road hazzard program. i dont need a new one though. i just thought i post the info.

it doesn't describe anything about it being a run flat tire, so i don't know if it is.:headscratch:

• 4 weeks later...

Tire is toast. There is damage that you cannot see unless you did a destructive examination of the carcass. The probability of having a problem with that tire is much higher than one of the others. Replace it---bottom line is that the rim by contacting the sidewall with the weight concentrating on that small area has not only put stress on the carcass in a manner in which it was not designed to absorb but driving that long there was quite a bit of heat that was built up in the contact area of the rim, tire and road.

None of this is good on a tire for any vehicle much less a performance one.

If there are any Discount Tire Stores near you they will match the price at Tire Rack at least they always do with me.

Archived