TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BOATLIFT

We were in NY over 9/11. We were able to take a tour of ground zero a day or so before the actual 9/11 memorial. The tour was conducted by two of the first responders, both of whom are terminally ill now. One of the responders was heading into tower one when it came down; he didn't fare well. He talked of being evac'd from the waterfront across the river by boat. That was the first that we became aware of the mass evacuations that occurred using the boats; we knew there were some, but not to the extent that had actually occurred. When we got back I found this clip...pretty amazing...and a part of the story that I just wasn't aware of.

John

We were in NY over 9/11. We were able to take a tour of ground zero a day or so before the actual 9/11 memorial. The tour was conducted by two of the first responders, both of whom are terminally ill now. One of the responders was heading into tower one when it came down; he didn't fare well. He talked of being evac'd from the waterfront across the river by boat. That was the first that we became aware of the mass evacuations that occurred using the boats; we knew there were some, but not to the extent that had actually occurred. When we got back I found this clip...pretty amazing...and a part of the story that I just wasn't aware of.

John

Thanks for sharing. That was an incredible video!

Archived