TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spec SS-Trim Twin Disc Clutch Kit and Flywheel

Grabber

Too much hit or miss with Spec. I had an S trim in mine for a while and it was worse than the stock junk. I was told I didn't install it properly and I didn't break it in the right way. Customer service was a joke. I was even dumb enough to believe some of the vendors on this forum and others and purchased a second Spec S trim thinking I had done something wrong the first time, although I couldn't imagine what that might have been. I balked at the last minute before installing the second Spec unit, instead opting for a McCleod RXT along with another new CSC and pilot bearing. Did everything the same as the first install, break in and all. RXT is a dream, smooth and quiet, just like I had always dreamed the car should be.

Are any of the vendors who keep saying how great these things are willing to buy back a brand new Spec S trim from me? Still in the box.

Chip

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just installed the Spec clutch set up, More for their lack of customer service and focus after you puchase the product, and secondly becuse they will not only stand behind their products, but there own employees do not even know about their products...

The group most helpful in my decision to get a McLeod was Spec tech support.

Steve

I ordered & just recieved the McLeod RXT Clutch Kit with Lighted Steel Flywheel, New Ford Throw out Bearing, Ford racing Pilot Bearing, JHR Trans Line, 2008 Ford Racing Harmonic Balancer. The Original Ford Clutch went out @ 16,000 miles, the TSB Ford Clutch Replacement (That I had to pay for) went south @ 39,000.From all the threads on these clutches I'm counting on the RXT to be the solution . Currently just have the Ford Racing CAI & Tune & Axel Backs ,but will be adding the VMP 2.5 Blower pulley shortly.

I had the Spec super twin on my 2008. After horrible results from the TSB, twice, I switched and it was a day and night difference. The pedal effort is definately more than stock, but my car was not stock anyway. I would suggest it to anyone wanting a change.

• 1 year later...

Too much hit or miss with Spec. I had an S trim in mine for a while and it was worse than the stock junk. I was told I didn't install it properly and I didn't break it in the right way. Customer service was a joke. I was even dumb enough to believe some of the vendors on this forum and others and purchased a second Spec S trim thinking I had done something wrong the first time, although I couldn't imagine what that might have been. I balked at the last minute before installing the second Spec unit, instead opting for a McCleod RXT along with another new CSC and pilot bearing. Did everything the same as the first install, break in and all. RXT is a dream, smooth and quiet, just like I had always dreamed the car should be.

Are any of the vendors who keep saying how great these things are willing to buy back a brand new Spec S trim from me? Still in the box.

Chip

i was going to do the mcleod rxt do you have to buy a new flywheel also or can you use the one that the car came with

i was going to do the mcleod rxt do you have to buy a new flywheel also or can you use the one that the car came with

I bought the clutch and flywheel as a package. I do not believe the stock flywheel will work, (maybe with an adaptor ring, not sure though) even if it did there is no way I would replace just the clutch as it is likely the flywheel is toast. RXT has been in my car for over two years now and it is still a dream to drive.

On a side note, none of the vendors pushing the Spec stepped up to take this thing off my hands,...........honestly didn't think anyone would. Still sitting in the box in my shop. Any takers? $750

Spec Twin in my 2012 Super Snake. Around 15K miles since install. Has been perfect...matter of fact, I like it better than the new Shelby clutch they put in my other Super Snake recently. I agree Spec had horrid install instruction (none), nor did they mention what the spacer that came in the box was for. Good thing I called them and installed it, it was needed. I never changed my throw out either...

• 9 months later...

I am looking for a new clutch. Is the new Shelby triple disk a good way to go? I drive hard when ever I get the chance, and want a clutch that can handle my style of driving. I got the spec twin disk and only got about 5000 mi on it and its toast. Mcleod? What do you think?

• 3 months later...

Stay AWAY from the Shelby (ACE) clutches. I've been through (2) twin disks. Both on average lasted 4-5k miles a piece. The first one had eaten itself so bad that ACE replaced the unit under warranty. Here I am waiting to replace the second one already, and it never even had 1 day at the strip on it. The stock one lasted 4 times longer than these with tons of passes. (710rwhp)

Do yourself a favor and go Spec or Mcleod.

Just an update - I still have my 2010 Ford OEM clutch installed. It has had many laps on road courses, many runs on strips, lots of burning rubber. I cannot believe how this thing has endured. No need to go for after market at all. It's quiet with an appropriate amount of slip, and is bullet proof.

Just an update - I still have my 2010 Ford OEM clutch installed. It has had many laps on road courses, many runs on strips, lots of burning rubber. I cannot believe how this thing has endured. No need to go for after market at all. It's quiet with an appropriate amount of slip, and is bullet proof.

Great to hear from you and the update on the clutch!

• 2 weeks later...

The same with me. The OEM clutch works pretty well in my 2011 SS. It is very easy to handle and evidently is able to tame the 800 horses. The McLeod in my 2008 GT500 is not that comfortable and as soon as it will be gone it will be replaced by a slightly bigger 2013 OEM clutch which is already waiting in my garage.

Archived