TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spec SS-Trim Twin Disc Clutch Kit and Flywheel

Grabber

We've got the Spec SuperTwin P-trim in our two super snakes, they are noisey as hell. You get drive-line noises and serious vibrations through the entire car at lower rpm in higher gears and they rattle/chatter sometimes when you are trying to slip the cluch in tight places like car parks. Getting the car moving off the lights without dumping the clutch or chirping the wheels isn't easy especially on a hill.

They do hold the power, there is no doubt about that. The loss of drivability though almost ruins an otherwise fantastic vehicle. Anyone who tells you "they drive like stock" is full of crap, I presume the S model maybe more user friendly but the P-trim is the one that was recommended for our 800hp super snakes. These came highly recommended and are very disappointing.

Having driven a super snake last weekend with the stock clutch I'm thinking about pulling the spec out. Changing the stock clutch every 10,000 miles doesn't seem so bad.

On the stock clutch I could drive in 6th gear at 60km/ph without any noise. If I run 6th even at 100km/ph with the Spec clutch the drive-line sounds like its going to explode.

Spec support was hopeless as these apparantly are "normal" traits.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the P trim in my car and not having near the problems you are. I don't slip the clutch , does shutter if trying slip it to much. Drives good at 60 in sixth gear but I down shift to 5th for hills. not much noise, happy with mine

I run the S Trim and have zero issues like reported above.

Not a Super Snake power level, just a healthy 634 or so at the wheels...... BUt I for one am very happy with the clutch.

For those that are eligible for the most current TSB that uses the 2010+ system, it is more than adequate for stock or mildly modified applications with less pedal effort and no noise. If you modify your car past 550 RWHP, you will destroy it sooner than later....been there done that. I deal with street cars, road race cars, and drag cars every day and have many that have complained that the 2010 clutch has held up worse than the Pre TSB clutch and the Post TSB clutch. My own 2010 clutch lasted less than 100 miles when I upgraded to the Kenne Bell 3.6LC. The clutch was slipping and I couldn't even tell, the Dyno did. I went from 666 RWHP to 763 RWHP with just the addition of the SPEC Twin SS. 7K miles later, no issues. I have people with over 30K miles with this Twin SS system with no issues. Remember everyone,. there are positives and negatives to each and every clutch system out there and there are many dealers that will try and talk you into the clutch they make the most money off. SPEC has a pretty poor dealer program, so many dealers don't push them. There is a very little profit margin on a very good clutch system, so many dealers do not push them. Another thing is that there are dealers that sell SPEC clutches that have been sitting on a shelf for a long time...the early versions are not as good smoothness wise as the ones made from November of last year. Been there done that too. The ones that sound too good to be true, usually are. ALWAYS replace the CSC with a new FORD unit too...Why?? Because the CSC wears on the front face to the pressure plate. I have people with 300 miles on their car, insisting to use their 300 mile CSC, and I won't do it, the CSC will fail before the clutch because of the wear pattern. ALWAYS use a new Ford CSC!! ALWAYS use the blue input shaft lube!! Do your home work and determine what you want to use your car for and figure out what is best for your own application before spending the money on a clutch system for your car. The right decision will give you years of enjoyment out of your car with out the feeling in the back of your head "what if". Too many people have made the wrong choice, sometimes several times over, and it is not worth the effort time or money wise.

Alex

alex this is the kinda info that is so helpful and informative. thanks for sharing knowledge tha tonly experience can impart..

ken

I had the Spec Twin SS installed in June. My car is 642 rwhp so its healthy but not a monster. I have put about 500 miles on the new clutch and I hate it. Drivability is miserable on the street. I am sure it is great on the track but the chatter that occurs upon engagement ruins the experience of driving the car. I was told to drive it and the surfaces would mate. NOT HAPPENING. I am going to opt to dump the Spec and go back to the Ford upgrade unit. I would rather replace the ford clutch every 15,000 miles than shake my car apart at every light. If you are considering a new clutch I highly recommend not considering the Spec unit.

I had the Spec Twin SS installed in June. My car is 642 rwhp so its healthy but not a monster. I have put about 500 miles on the new clutch and I hate it. Drivability is miserable on the street. I am sure it is great on the track but the chatter that occurs upon engagement ruins the experience of driving the car. I was told to drive it and the surfaces would mate. NOT HAPPENING. I am going to opt to dump the Spec and go back to the Ford upgrade unit. I would rather replace the ford clutch every 15,000 miles than shake my car apart at every light. If you are considering a new clutch I highly recommend not considering the Spec unit.

That sucks. Really sucks. Sorry to hear this.

Horrible to hear, seems to be a complaint we see about most any brand aftermarket clutch installed.

The only clutch consistently reviewed as pleasant to drive is the OEM 2010 clutch.

I have no way of understanding why my SPEC S trim clutch and the other two I installed are working well for us, and others find it a chattering PIA on their car. But there are just too many reports to ignore.

I'd still recommend it, but suggest that it only be installed by a shop that has a proven track record with SPEC.

Life to short to drive an ugly car, or one that even feels ugly.

Best of luck with your 2010 OEM install.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed the SS Spec clutch last week with great results, this is how the car should have come from the factory

I have had the TSB installed a few years back and both rattled and made noise but always put up with it

When the clutch started to slip on the dyno it was time for an upgrade

The clutch is so smooth, peddle feel is consistent and similar to the stock, and the rattle when the clutch is released at idle in neutral, it also feels so much better up and down shifting

One of the biggest diferences was going from the 8.5"to the 10"clutch but the lightweight flywheel spins up so much faster than stock

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

We all frequently refer to the 2010 clutch as a final fix for our 2007-2009 cars. I'm curious if the 2011+ cars have the same clutch kits as the 2010 or does Ford use something different for them?????

The 2010 to 2012 have the same clutch in them. The 13 is different.

Thanks for the info Rob. I know you suffered through a number of Ford "fixes" over the years and it is sad that Ford can not react more quickly with such an important aspect of the car. It reminds me of the overheating issues with the 1996 SVT Cobra. I am about to order all the clutch parts that you have listed in your threads. I am so appreciative that you have shared your experiences with all of us on the clutch issues.

Thanks for the info Rob. I know you suffered through a number of Ford "fixes" over the years and it is sad that Ford can not react more quickly with such an important aspect of the car. It reminds me of the overheating issues with the 1996 SVT Cobra. I am about to order all the clutch parts that you have listed in your threads. I am so appreciative that you have shared your experiences with all of us on the clutch issues.

I must say that my local Ford dealership has made the service work pretty painless. No suffering on that end of things. The experience has allowed me to establish a better relationship with the service writers and the technicians and the parts guys. Plus it has helped me know how to better help other friends of mine in the car club community get service done on there cars. I am very happy with my GT500 and enjoy the car very much. In fact the Washington and Oregon weather is so good that I will be going out for a drive shortly. 72 and sunny still !! We have not had rain since July 4th and the next 10 days is still looking great. :happy feet:

Guest markham51

I had the Ford "2010 version" installed in my 07 SS this spring and it works very very nicely. I dont race it. I love how easy the pressure is and how smoothly it shifts. Sean Hyland MS installed it flawlessly and it works far better than the original. with my new brakes it feels like it just came off the showroom floor. My 07 convert still has the original clutch which is working fine still but i would have no hesitation in installing the 2010 factory version if/when it craps out.

I had the Ford "2010 version" installed in my 07 SS this spring and it works very very nicely. I dont race it. I love how easy the pressure is and how smoothly it shifts. Sean Hyland MS installed it flawlessly and it works far better than the original. with my new brakes it feels like it just came off the showroom floor. My 07 convert still has the original clutch which is working fine still but i would have no hesitation in installing the 2010 factory version if/when it craps out.

Glad to hear from you Mark. :)

I would try driving it with the traction control turned off and drive it with the intention of letting the rear tire spin a tad bit on take off, not the clutch. A tiny pain but it isn't a Corolla. Guys with the 2010 clutch will pay the piper in early replacement costs IMO.

I would try driving it with the traction control turned off and drive it with the intention of letting the rear tire spin a tad bit on take off, not the clutch. A tiny pain but it isn't a Corolla. Guys with the 2010 clutch will pay the piper in early replacement costs IMO.

The 2010 set up has been out for 3 years now and 99% of the cars are doing great. There are very very few failures reported. IMO that is great news.

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE INSTALLED MY SPEC SS CLUTCH NEW CSC PILOT BEARING.I HAVE BLEED IT,NO GRIND GOING INTO GEAR,IT CHATTERS GOING IN REVERSE,ANY INPUT ON THIS,OR IS NORMAL WHAT ELSE CAN I DO.

I have no chatter, forward gears or reverse.

Did you install this or have a shop do it?

• 1 month later...

MY expererince with Spec is that they SUCK at customer service..

and their products are not far behind...

I 2nd your opinion. I wasted quite a lot of money having two of the P-Spec ones shipped to Australia and having them installed.

They are absolutely horrible and the only thing keeping them in there is the expense associated with pulling them out.

I installed the SS Spec clutch last week with great results, this is how the car should have come from the factory

I have had the TSB installed a few years back and both rattled and made noise but always put up with it

When the clutch started to slip on the dyno it was time for an upgrade

The clutch is so smooth, peddle feel is consistent and similar to the stock, and the rattle when the clutch is released at idle in neutral, it also feels so much better up and down shifting

I just had the Spec SS installed today and have had exactly the same experience -- smooth and quiet under all conditions. I too had the TSB done several years ago and it lasted ~7K before it started slipping again. As I am planning some HP increases in the future, I wanted a clutch that was going to be a little more durable. Time will tell, but I couldn't be happier with the Spec's present performance.

My ACT twin disc is more of a pleasure to drive then my friends with the 2010 and up clutch. No issues at all pedal effort is down from stock and you can now slip the heck out of it if needed for spirited starts. Very predictable as well and no more noise then stock.

I HAVE INSTALLED MY SPEC SS CLUTCH NEW CSC PILOT BEARING.I HAVE BLEED IT,NO GRIND GOING INTO GEAR,IT CHATTERS GOING IN REVERSE,ANY INPUT ON THIS,OR IS NORMAL WHAT ELSE CAN I DO.

Mine chatters in foward and reverse so you're doing alright.

• 4 months later...

I have installed over 50 of the Twin SS SPEC clutches in 07-11 GT500's so far, no issues. No hiss, easy pedal effort, and no worry when you drag race and road race that it will go out. The P trim is overkill for most of our cars. 5K miles on my Twin SS with 763 RWHP, drag racing, road racing, etc, no issues. Really the best clutch for these cars in my opinion, and I have tried them all. I became a Spec dealer as I was using so many of them.

Alex

What Flywheel do you recommend?

Is OEM OK?

• 4 months later...

I recently had a Spec Twin SS installed by a reputable speed shop and just completed the 500 mile break-in period. No problems so far. It has light pedal feel with smooth engagement. As Grabber recommended, I had them replace the CSC, pilot bearing, upgrade the clutch line, and change out the fluid with Royal Purple. Though the aluminum flywheel and my one piece aluminum driveshaft shed alot of drivetrain weight, I do not notice any more noise or vibration over the stock configuration. I am very pleased with my setup.

Well my experience is hell!! Just installed the Spec clutch set up, and we were getting a very loud and high pitched slipping noise from the clutch when leaving from a start in 1st and then in 2nd gear. We were originally told that we did not need to install the additioanl flywheel, since we were not going with a wild set up, just a very mild one since we did not race or trake the car at all. When we called up their customer service, their tech support, they actually told my mechanic to tell me, "to up my radio, so I couldn't hear it!" Well after he picked himself up off the floor, he called back to speak with someone else and they offered no solutions. This went on for about 3 weeks, until we got a hold of someone in their tech department that sounded older than 20 years old, and had some obvious knowledge about there product. He said that we indeed needed the flywheel, and that the person who placed the order should've know this. After we order the flywheel and installed it, the noise did go away, but know the clutch slips in any gear, when you mildly step on the gas. Under very modest acceleration, I go through all 5 gears and max out at just above 75 mph, never going below 5k rpms, when we used to be over 100 mph in 3rd under the same acceleration. When we called up this time, they told us they would not help us, because the clutch was over it's 30 day wty, and considered used, even though it was their own techs for the reason the 30 day wty ended in the first place. So, I would tell anyone that would listen, stay away from this product!!! More for their lack of customer service and focus after you puchase the product, and secondly becuse they will not only stand behind their products, but there own employees do not even know about their products...

Spec Clutch: $400 + Labor

Spec Flywheel: $400 + Labor

Getting everything fixed for the 3rd time: Still Waiting for that Bill

Spec's Tech's Answer: "turn up the radio, so you customer can't hear the noise" = PRICELESS PS, I have the Shaker 1000 set up, and I can still hear the noise!!!

Archived