TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spec SS-Trim Twin Disc Clutch Kit and Flywheel

Grabber

I'm not having a problem with my car, but I was wondering what you guys think of the Spec SS-Trim Twin Disc Clutch Kit and Flywheel. Is it smooth and quiet ? If you have this unit in your car, please tell me how you like it. Your comments will be very helpful to others needing to get a new clutch.

I see the unit goes for $1,329. I assume you guys had the CSC and pilot bearing replaced when you had the job done and the tranny splines lubed with the Ford blue lube as well.

http://www.evoperfor...products_id=708

$1,329.00

SS-Trim Torque Capacity is Rated at 900 ftlbs

Super Twins are 10inch upgrades vs. the factory 8.5inch diameter.

All Twin Disk Clutch Kits Include a SPEC Aluminum Flywheel

SPEC Clutches and Flywheels introduces the Super Twin for street and track use in cars with extreme horsepower and torque.

Until now, there has been a drivability, maintenance and longevity trade-off with clutches built to handle 700-1500 ft lbs tq. The revolutionary new SPEC Super Twin has set a new standard offering near-stock drivability, tremendous life expectancy, a no shimming/setup bolt-in installation and maintenance free operation.

With all billet construction, these units are smooth and quiet. The super twin is constructed with aircraft grade aluminum and high carbon billet steel milled to an industry leading .001 inch for perfect balance and actuation.

Friction is provided by dampened, full-faced carbon graphite discs. Organic or full metallic options are available.

Flywheel and track-spec hardware are included in each kit. All units include flywheel, high strength bolts and bearings. Installation is bolt-in with no shimming or setup required.

The Super Twin is for street and track use in cars with extreme horsepower and torque (700-1500 ft lbs tq). The Super Twin offers near-stock drivability, tremendous life expectancy, a no shimming/setup bolt-in installation and maintenance free operation. With all billet construction, these units are smooth and quiet. The units are rebuild-able by SPEC or the end user and replacement components or rebuild services are always available. The super twin is constructed with aircraft grade aluminum and high carbon billet steel milled to an industry leading .001 inch for perfect balance and actuation. Friction is provided by dampened, full-faced carbon graphite discs. Organic, fiber and full metallic options are available. Flywheel and track-spec hardware are included in each kit. Types of driving: street, drag, drift, road racing, time attack, pulling and rallye.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it true that the Spec unit comes with: Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure plate, Throwout bearing, pilot bearing... the works...?

I had the Spec SuperTwin P-trim installed a couple years ago when I had the TSB done for the 3rd time. It included the clutch, pp and aluminum flywheel. Ford covered the rest.

It was strong and had no chatter, but also very little slip - almost on and off. In the end - I had undesirable results - tho this was somewhat self-inflicted. I already had bullet motor mounts, an IW aluminum lower pulley, an aluminum DS. The intro of the aluminum flywheel provided for even less rotational weight - which is a a good thing for performance and hp. However, I found all these stock components have a dampening qulaity to them given their weight. Having removed them all - I introduced vibration that I didn't like. So when the new 2010 Ford clutch/flywheel came out - I had that installed.

I still have that 2010 unit in there and it has held up well - and that's both on the strip as well as road course. If anyone's interested in a used Spec SuperTwin P-trim - I know where you can get one. : )

I had the Spec SuperTwin P-trim installed a couple years ago when I had the TSB done for the 3rd time. It included the clutch, pp and aluminum flywheel. Ford covered the rest.

It was strong and had no chatter, but also very little slip - almost on and off. In the end - I had undesirable results - tho this was somewhat self-inflicted. I already had bullet motor mounts, an IW aluminum lower pulley, an aluminum DS. The intro of the aluminum flywheel provided for even less rotational weight - which is a a good thing for performance and hp. However, I found all these stock components have a dampening qulaity to them given their weight. Having removed them all - I introduced vibration that I didn't like. So when the new 2010 Ford clutch/flywheel came out - I had that installed.

I still have that 2010 unit in there and it has held up well - and that's both on the strip as well as road course. If anyone's interested in a used Spec SuperTwin P-trim - I know where you can get one. : )

Looks like the "P" trip spec clutch is one notch up in the tork rating from the SFG5SST model I listed in my first post. Sounds like that one is more for drag racing. I'm looking for feedback on the SFG5SST model (Spec SS-Trim Twin Disc Clutch Kit). The add says that it is like stock.

I have the Spec Twin SS. It has little to no slip. On or not. A bit stiffer than the 2010 that is in the foster Shelby but I do like it better than the 2010 clutch. Feels better to me to be a bit heavier rather than feeling like my foot is going thru the fire wall!. Also put in the aluminum flywheel, Ford stock slave cylinder and throwout bearing. Pretty smooth but noisey when engaged.

I have the Spec Twin SS. It has little to no slip. On or not. A bit stiffer than the 2010 that is in the foster Shelby but I do like it better than the 2010 clutch. Feels better to me to be a bit heavier rather than feeling like my foot is going thru the fire wall!. Also put in the aluminum flywheel, Ford stock slave cylinder and throwout bearing. Pretty smooth but noisey when engaged.

Yes - forgot to mention the rattling. It sounds like something is loose - like between the plates or something, but it's entirely normal. Just annoying...

I have installed over 50 of the Twin SS SPEC clutches in 07-11 GT500's so far, no issues. No hiss, easy pedal effort, and no worry when you drag race and road race that it will go out. The P trim is overkill for most of our cars. 5K miles on my Twin SS with 763 RWHP, drag racing, road racing, etc, no issues. Really the best clutch for these cars in my opinion, and I have tried them all. I became a Spec dealer as I was using so many of them.

Alex

Hey Rob I have the Spec Twin SS that Alex installed and it is working great. Pedal effort is about the same as stock and it does not hiss. It does rattle (normal) as mentioned when the clutch petal in engaged (like at a stop light) but does not make any noise otherwise. I did try FlyBoy's 2010 clutch and it had much less pedal effort and was very quite. You are welcome to check it out this weekend. I am planning on going down on Friday. I will give you a call.

Hey Rob I have the Spec Twin SS that Alex installed and it is working great. Pedal effort is about the same as stock and it does not hiss. It does rattle (normal) as mentioned when the clutch petal in engaged (like at a stop light) but does not make any noise otherwise. I did try FlyBoy's 2010 clutch and it had much less pedal effort and was very quite. You are welcome to check it out this weekend. I am planning on going down on Friday. I will give you a call.

That sounds great Bob. I would love to try it first hand and also listen to it. I'm looking forward to seeing you this week end. Is Pam coming along with you ?

That sounds great Bob. I would love to try it first hand and also listen to it. I'm looking forward to seeing you this week end. Is Pam coming along with you ?

Yup Pam is coming along. Looking forward to a fun road trip and a little time away from the kids...lol

For those that are eligible for the most current TSB that uses the 2010+ system, it is more than adequate for stock or mildly modified applications with less pedal effort and no noise. If you modify your car past 550 RWHP, you will destroy it sooner than later....been there done that. I deal with street cars, road race cars, and drag cars every day and have many that have complained that the 2010 clutch has held up worse than the Pre TSB clutch and the Post TSB clutch. My own 2010 clutch lasted less than 100 miles when I upgraded to the Kenne Bell 3.6LC. The clutch was slipping and I couldn't even tell, the Dyno did. I went from 666 RWHP to 763 RWHP with just the addition of the SPEC Twin SS. 7K miles later, no issues. I have people with over 30K miles with this Twin SS system with no issues. Remember everyone,. there are positives and negatives to each and every clutch system out there and there are many dealers that will try and talk you into the clutch they make the most money off. SPEC has a pretty poor dealer program, so many dealers don't push them. There is a very little profit margin on a very good clutch system, so many dealers do not push them. Another thing is that there are dealers that sell SPEC clutches that have been sitting on a shelf for a long time...the early versions are not as good smoothness wise as the ones made from November of last year. Been there done that too. The ones that sound too good to be true, usually are. ALWAYS replace the CSC with a new FORD unit too...Why?? Because the CSC wears on the front face to the pressure plate. I have people with 300 miles on their car, insisting to use their 300 mile CSC, and I won't do it, the CSC will fail before the clutch because of the wear pattern. ALWAYS use a new Ford CSC!! ALWAYS use the blue input shaft lube!! Do your home work and determine what you want to use your car for and figure out what is best for your own application before spending the money on a clutch system for your car. The right decision will give you years of enjoyment out of your car with out the feeling in the back of your head "what if". Too many people have made the wrong choice, sometimes several times over, and it is not worth the effort time or money wise.

Alex

Give me a shout Grabber I'll discuss the differences with you.

SPEC makes a great clutch and you can rebuild them for 50% of the cost if you ever have to rebuild the clutch or repair it.

No, these clutches do not come with the slave cylinder or pilot bearing. SPEC does recommend the use of Ford OEM product and that you replace them regardless of age or appearance. If you are in there, put in new ones and reduce the potential for a future headache.

Van

Revan Racing, Inc.

561-445-7702

For those that are eligible for the most current TSB that uses the 2010+ system, it is more than adequate for stock or mildly modified applications with less pedal effort and no noise. If you modify your car past 550 RWHP, you will destroy it sooner than later....been there done that. I deal with street cars, road race cars, and drag cars every day and have many that have complained that the 2010 clutch has held up worse than the Pre TSB clutch and the Post TSB clutch. My own 2010 clutch lasted less than 100 miles when I upgraded to the Kenne Bell 3.6LC. The clutch was slipping and I couldn't even tell, the Dyno did. I went from 666 RWHP to 763 RWHP with just the addition of the SPEC Twin SS. 7K miles later, no issues. I have people with over 30K miles with this Twin SS system with no issues. Remember everyone,. there are positives and negatives to each and every clutch system out there and there are many dealers that will try and talk you into the clutch they make the most money off. SPEC has a pretty poor dealer program, so many dealers don't push them. There is a very little profit margin on a very good clutch system, so many dealers do not push them. Another thing is that there are dealers that sell SPEC clutches that have been sitting on a shelf for a long time...the early versions are not as good smoothness wise as the ones made from November of last year. Been there done that too. The ones that sound too good to be true, usually are. ALWAYS replace the CSC with a new FORD unit too...Why?? Because the CSC wears on the front face to the pressure plate. I have people with 300 miles on their car, insisting to use their 300 mile CSC, and I won't do it, the CSC will fail before the clutch because of the wear pattern. ALWAYS use a new Ford CSC!! ALWAYS use the blue input shaft lube!! Do your home work and determine what you want to use your car for and figure out what is best for your own application before spending the money on a clutch system for your car. The right decision will give you years of enjoyment out of your car with out the feeling in the back of your head "what if". Too many people have made the wrong choice, sometimes several times over, and it is not worth the effort time or money wise.

Alex

I know I really just wanted it to work and not have to deal with future clutch issues. When I was deciding on a clutch, Alex and I discussed the various options from sticking with the stock clutch for a while longer to the 2010 clutch to the aftermarket clutches like the Spec or McLeod. Given my power level and mostly street driving with occasional track time we decided that the Spec twin SS would be a good fit. I did not care about petal effort as long as it was not more than stock. Alex was very helpful and knowledgeable and I was glad to have his experienced shop install my clutch. I am very happy with my choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I really just wanted it to work and not have to deal with future clutch issues. When I was deciding on a clutch, Alex and I discussed the various options from sticking with the stock clutch for a while longer to the 2010 clutch to the aftermarket clutches like the Spec or McLeod. Given my power level and mostly street driving with occasional track time we decided that the Spec twin SS would be a good fit. I did not care about petal effort as long as it was not more than stock. Alex was very helpful and knowledgeable and I was glad to have his experienced shop install my clutch. I am very happy with my choice.

Spec has a terrible dealer program, so alot of dealers do not push the Spec. I can't change that, but the Twin SS flat out works great.

Those of you that have met me, or know me, know I do not ever push a product that I will not use in my own cars. Take that for what it is worth. I really could care less for $51. The Spec works, and works very, very well. End of story....I don't care if you buy it from me or a vendor that buys 100 at a time, you will not regret the purchase. Just make sure it is a unit after Nov of 2010. The McLeod unit is fine, but does chatter alot. Dealer program is great, so many push them, but I do not feel it is as good of a clutch as far as pedal effort or longevity. I have replaced them in less than 1K miles for many. If you want a clutch that will handle what you put to it, get the Spec Twin SS.

Alex

GOOD to KNOW!!!! Thanks Alex... Can you PM me a price of the spec SS installed and bought through you? I will be in the market for a clutch soon and I now live in california so it is not as long of a drive to have you work on my car.

• 5 months later...

Does any one know the correct FORD PN for the CSC to be used in a 2007 install of the SPEC Twin Disk SS trim clutch? There seems to be two part numbers out there..and Van at Raven is off setting records at the TX Mile this weekend.... Was hoping to order today, so parts are waiting on me when I get home in a few days..

Thanks

Guest markham51

Spec has a terrible dealer program, so alot of dealers do not push the Spec. I can't change that, but the Twin SS flat out works great.

Those of you that have met me, or know me, know I do not ever push a product that I will not use in my own cars. Take that for what it is worth. I really could care less for $51. The Spec works, and works very, very well. End of story....I don't care if you buy it from me or a vendor that buys 100 at a time, you will not regret the purchase. Just make sure it is a unit after Nov of 2010. The McLeod unit is fine, but does chatter alot. Dealer program is great, so many push them, but I do not feel it is as good of a clutch as far as pedal effort or longevity. I have replaced them in less than 1K miles for many. If you want a clutch that will handle what you put to it, get the Spec Twin SS.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Rob pointed me in this direction....

I'm going to have this Spec

clutch replacement done on my 2007 SS (725HP) shortly either at Sean Hyland near Toronto or Evolution in Pa.

Do you have a part number for the Spec clutch for my application? I don't want to make any mistakes at this point. Clutch driving me nuts.

Thx much...and i will replace the Ford parts as well as you recommended.

Regards,

Mark

Anyone had Hyand or Evo handle their clutch replacement with a Spec or other product that has worked out well?

I just bought all of this in the last 24 hours...

The SPEC Super Twin -SS Trim is SKU: SFG5SST

Van at Revan Racing has a great price, as does Leathal, Revolution, and others.

OEM parts replaced everytime a clutch is done...

Best prices on these two needed items are from Tusley Ford:

Concentric release bearing (In Ford speak, Slave cylinder, in common terms release bearing) FORD OEM PN: 4R3Z-7A508-AA $172.47.

Transmission imput shaft Flywheel bearing FORD OEM PN: M-7600-A $7.43

Hi Alex,

Rob pointed me in this direction....

I'm going to have this Spec

clutch replacement done on my 2007 SS (725HP) shortly either at Sean Hyland near Toronto or Evolution in Pa.

Do you have a part number for the Spec clutch for my application? I don't want to make any mistakes at this point. Clutch driving me nuts.

Thx much...and i will replace the Ford parts as well as you recommended.

Regards,

Mark

Anyone had Hyand or Evo handle their clutch replacement with a Spec or other product that has worked out well?

Guest markham51

I just bought all of this in the last 24 hours...

The SPEC Super Twin -SS Trim is SKU: SFG5SST

Van at Revan Racing has a great price, as does Leathal, Revolution, and others.

OEM parts replaced everytime a clutch is done...

Concentric release bearing (In Ford speak, Slave cylinder, in common terms release bearing) FORD OEM PN: 4R3Z-7A508-AA $172.47.

Transmission imput shaft Flywheel bearing FORD OEM PN: M-7600-A $7.43

Thanks much!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not having a problem with my car, but I was wondering what you guys think of the Spec SS-Trim Twin Disc Clutch Kit and Flywheel. Is it smooth and quiet ? If you have this unit in your car, please tell me how you like it. Your comments will be very helpful to others needing to get a new clutch.

I see the unit goes for $1,329. I assume you guys had the CSC and pilot bearing replaced when you had the job done and the tranny splines lubed with the Ford blue lube as well.

http://www.evoperfor...products_id=708

$1,329.00

SS-Trim Torque Capacity is Rated at 900 ftlbs

Super Twins are 10inch upgrades vs. the factory 8.5inch diameter.

All Twin Disk Clutch Kits Include a SPEC Aluminum Flywheel

SPEC Clutches and Flywheels introduces the Super Twin for street and track use in cars with extreme horsepower and torque.

Until now, there has been a drivability, maintenance and longevity trade-off with clutches built to handle 700-1500 ft lbs tq. The revolutionary new SPEC Super Twin has set a new standard offering near-stock drivability, tremendous life expectancy, a no shimming/setup bolt-in installation and maintenance free operation.

With all billet construction, these units are smooth and quiet. The super twin is constructed with aircraft grade aluminum and high carbon billet steel milled to an industry leading .001 inch for perfect balance and actuation.

Friction is provided by dampened, full-faced carbon graphite discs. Organic or full metallic options are available.

Flywheel and track-spec hardware are included in each kit. All units include flywheel, high strength bolts and bearings. Installation is bolt-in with no shimming or setup required.

The Super Twin is for street and track use in cars with extreme horsepower and torque (700-1500 ft lbs tq). The Super Twin offers near-stock drivability, tremendous life expectancy, a no shimming/setup bolt-in installation and maintenance free operation. With all billet construction, these units are smooth and quiet. The units are rebuild-able by SPEC or the end user and replacement components or rebuild services are always available. The super twin is constructed with aircraft grade aluminum and high carbon billet steel milled to an industry leading .001 inch for perfect balance and actuation. Friction is provided by dampened, full-faced carbon graphite discs. Organic, fiber and full metallic options are available. Flywheel and track-spec hardware are included in each kit. Types of driving: street, drag, drift, road racing, time attack, pulling and rallye.

MY expererince with Spec is that they SUCK at customer service..

and their products are not far behind...

MY expererince with Spec is that they SUCK at customer service..

and their products are not far behind...

Mine would be much different then yours :salute:

Though I can only speak to the product, as Ive never had an issue with the product to need to deal with the company.. Just order SPEC clutch 4 and 5 for our latest installs, 2005 S197 GT Mustang and 2007 GT500...

Sucks you had a bad expererince , but as I see people smoke all brands of clucths, due to shooddy install, partial parts replacment, and poor driving habits.. a few bad experiences com[paired to the many times more good ones.. as well as my own have sold me on the brand.

Wow, price from Tousley for the slave cylinder has gone up!! I purchased that part from them back on May 26, 2009 and paid $139.74 plus freight. Almost 10% increase each year LOL

What are the dimensions of the clutch kit? Height, width, length? (In the packaging)

I am trying to order it and get international delivery but the shipping rates are killing me... Hopefully, when I have the dimensions, I can source cheaper couriers.

Also, can someone confirm the weight of it? Approx. 20kg?

Awaiting a quick response.

Thanks...

Archived