TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A P51 MUSTANG Crashes at Air Show

I question why planes that are over 50 years old are being pushed to the limits and then past there limits. I by no means am an expert on this, but I was watching some interviews on TV about it and the people they were talking to were experts and the issue I mention came up several times !

A Second WWII Plane Crashes at an Air Show, this time in West Virginia...........................

http://news.yahoo.com/post-wwii-plane-pilot-dies-w-va-air-232206197.html

Just to clarify.

This link is an Air show crash, not an Air race crash.

Air shows have pilots that work together. Air races have pilots that compete.

My condolences to the families of injured and deceased.

There is a reason the FAA makes pilots retire at a certian age. Have seen lots of film and pics--looks like the pilot is missing as the plane is going down in the pics and you know what that means.

Fell bad for the people there---I had several friends attending from work and will find out Monday what if anything happened to them...

Not knowing the pilot it's really hard to question if his age was a factor. There are 75yr olds out there that are in better physical and mental condition then some 25yr olds. As for the age of the plane. Again, it's hard to judge without knowing it's history. Mechanical failures happen to even the newest of aircraft, and when they do it can usually be linked back to human error.

This is a very tragic and unfortunate even. The FAA will investigate and a cause will be determined and action will be taken to mitigate it's chances in the future if possible. Sometimes these things are simply the result of bad luck.

Archived