TEAM SHELBY FORUM

fuel gauging system

darthracer777

I think it is Ford's way of acknowledging that you GT500 guys, having those monster motors, have a tendency to put your foot down so hard sometimes that 1/4 tank will only take you 40 miles. :hysterical:Seriously though, does it do it every time you are at 1/4 tank or just sometimes? I have always figured the "miles remaining" meters are keyed to how the car has been driven in the recent past.

Jim

It all depends in relation to how many miles per gallon you are getting. Typically if I average 14-15mpg - the low fuel will come on around 1/4 of a tank stating that I have about 50 miles til empty. These gauges are far from accurate - and just to give you a ballpark figure.

I noticed that I keep getting low fuel messages such as '40 miles to empty' even thought the gauge reads 1/4 full. Have any of you guys experienced this curious phenomenon?

16 gallon tank - 3 gallon reserve ? = 13 gallons / 4 = 3.25 gallon/ quarter tank. 3.25 gallons x 13.5 mpg avg (if driving as dictated to honor it's heritage) = 43.875 miles to empty when the gauge reads 1/4 full.

I think it may be based on your fuel mpg average as it is currently displayed in the DIC. I only say this because, I spent the weekend running the car on the track. When I filled up to make the 290 mile drive home, I didn't reset the avg mpg feature. About 150 miles down the road I noticed that based on my DIC reading of miles to E, I wasn't going to make it home on one tank of fuel. When we stopped to eat, I reset it and within just a few miles after getting on the interstate my DIC said I had more miles to go before I got to empty than when we stopped to eat.. :headscratch:

All day HPDE track day cars can see the low fuel light come on at even a 1/4 of a tank.

You just have to view the 2 different measurements realistically and know the needle more than the light as it's not real time but average of past driving. I've never tried resetting that milage gauge to see if that made a difference.

yeah, it's probably the way I'm driving. I'm not close to being empty, but I'll keep a watch on it.

That's all it is - no biggie...when I took a long trip on a full tank....It went below 1/4 tank before the warning came on. I think I averaged about 23MPG on that trip.

What's your current average MPG?

I had approx 35,000 on my 2010 and now about 700 on my 2012 and the light always came on when I hit the 50 miles to go on both. It didn't matter what my mpg was.

Yeah that's where it kicks in...but your actual fuel gauge may be higher or lower than a 1/4 tank based on how many miles per gallon you get.

• 4 months later...

Archived