TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Caring for the tape stripes?

BRIANDOU719

Okay, here's the dumb question of the day. I looked in the owner’s manual, the GT 500 extra manuals, and on this forum, and so far haven't found any guidance. I just got a 2012 GT 500 about three weeks ago, in Kona Blue with the SVT package, which means it has the thinner red stripes. (That color combination is another story; I had posted a question about whether a COPO order was a possibility, and appreciate the responses I got. After looking at it for a number of times, I decided I liked the combination.)

So, do you wax over the stripes; just up to the stripes; after hand washing can you put on one of the various liquid wax touchups; can you use Griots "Speedshine" or similar liquid detailing sprays on the car in between washings; is there some separate product to apply to the stripes only; or any other advice you might have??

Thanks for your advice. Brian Dougherty. Pueblo, Colorado. 9/11/2011.

Hi -

I can only speak to the type of stripes that I have....which are the white/semi-glossy ones. I have simply treated them like the rest of the paint on the car....as far as using waxes or speed detailers....I really can't see any harm done to them in the two years I've had the car.

You of course would NOT want to use any type of polish/compound/scratch remover, etc. on them - basically anything with any type of "cutting" power.

I haven't seen your type of stripes in person...but if they aren't of a glossy type - I wouldn't use any wax on them...they seemed to cause discoloration and streaks based on some users reports...which would make sense in my mind.

So if I personally, would have flat stripes...like the satin black...I wouldn't wax them or apply any type of product to them...just a wash and dry care for them.

I'm sure others will respond with their experiences with the stripes that you have.

Burning Blue Stat IV does what I have done since October 2007 (including doing it today when I detailed the car top to bottom). The SGTs all have the glossy stripes so I speak only to those. I even use what is called a polish from a TS member, Steve, who owns Show Car Detail. It does not seem to have any cutting (excellent term to describe what you want to avoid) ingredients in it. The tape stripes will, in time, become an issue, no matter how well you take care of them. Some of the SGT folks here have painted their stripes and dealt with it that way. In time, I suspect that is the way we will all go but, until then, Burning Blue Stat IV pretty much summarized what you need to do.

Jim

Burning Blue Stat IV does what I have done since October 2007 (including doing it today when I detailed the car top to bottom). The SGTs all have the glossy stripes so I speak only to those. I even use what is called a polish from a TS member, Steve, who owns Show Car Detail. It does not seem to have any cutting (excellent term to describe what you want to avoid) ingredients in it. The tape stripes will, in time, become an issue, no matter how well you take care of them. Some of the SGT folks here have painted their stripes and dealt with it that way. In time, I suspect that is the way we will all go but, until then, Burning Blue Stat IV pretty much summarized what you need to do.

Jim

I also recently used all of Show Car Detail products (clay bar, polish, glaze and wax) on the whole car and stripes and did not have any issues.

I have the matte black stripes and they are a challenge. I would like to hear what others have used on matte with success. Thanks

I bought some Wolfgang Füzion Estate Wax from Autogeek's when it was on sale and it does not leave any film or white stuff when you buff it out. I even use it on my black plactic pieces and it works great

I have a 2010 black with matte black strips, from day one I have used nothing but the liquid ICE polish, and I use it on everything, the strips, plastic parts, even under the hood and for two years I have never had any problems. I love this stuff! It is great for black cars!

I have the matte black stripes and they are a challenge. I would like to hear what others have used on matte with success. Thanks

I have the black matte stripes also. I tried waxing them with the rest of the car, but it was a pita to get the wax swirl marks out. Now I avoid them when waxing and only use spray detailer on them. I use the Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Quick Shine. It has no wax and gets the stripes like new.

Archived