TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams install, Need some help

I just ordered the Ford Racing hot rod cams and will be installing them in the coming weeks. I knew that I would need the timing wedge but never imagined it would cost almost $100 for this one time use tool. What a load of BS. I could see if it was a precision machined tool or something like that but a shaped block of plastic or teflon on a short rod w/finger loop is just a pile of you know what IMO.

I'm asking if there are any team members that have one, would you be willing to sell or let me use it for my install. My options right now are following two on ebay, both used but not a problem and also can rent one from freedom racing 89 dollars and the refund 44 when you send it back. pm me or email me if you can help a brother out. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Jeff

email: ches24fan@cox.net

Jeff,

Bring the car down to the speed shop in North Raleigh where my son works (PCM), he can install them in a couple of hours and then provide you a custom dyno tune. You can visit with your family while he's doing the work........ Just a though. As a matter of fact they were running a special on the new Ford Racing valve covers too.

Jeff,

Bring the car down to the speed shop in North Raleigh where my son works (PCM), he can install them in a couple of hours and then provide you a custom dyno tune. You can visit with your family while he's doing the work........ Just a though. As a matter of fact they were running a special on the new Ford Racing valve covers too.

Hey Carl, thanks for the offer, I would love to go that route for sure, but I spent $1000 on the new cams, new phaser bols and the ford racing valve covers already. Usual labor for the cams is about 400 to 500. If I had the extra money I would not doubt come see my parents and have your sons shop take care of me. My friend in NJ has a shop and we are long time friends, so we will be doing it together and I won't have any labor charges. Just the cost for gas to get there. Otherwise I would surely take you up on that offer.

Jeff,

Welcome back. Sorry I can't help, but let me know when you get the cams in. I'd sure like to see/hear the SGT when you're done.

Kevin

Kev, thanks, It's good to be back. Bahrain was quite hot and we were there for the entire month of August so (Ramadan) nothing to do during that. no bars, no liquor, nothing. No worries about the help, I'm sure I'll get it taken care of one way or another. Just seeing if a fellow team member might have one I can use before I go buy one. I'll defienitely come up to your place when I get them done. I' want to see that new LS and maybe get a ride. I also entered the MAFRU that PME had to postpone due to Irene so I'll be at Wynne Ford on the 5th of November for that show.

Also wante to see how you felt about taking your strut tower off to see of it will fit on mine before I go and buy that one. Just a thought.

I just ordered the Ford Racing hot rod cams and will be installing them in the coming weeks. I knew that I would need the timing wedge but never imagined it would cost almost $100 for this one time use tool. What a load of BS. I could see if it was a precision machined tool or something like that but a shaped block of plastic or teflon on a short rod w/finger loop is just a pile of you know what IMO.

I'm asking if there are any team members that have one, would you be willing to sell or let me use it for my install. My options right now are following two on ebay, both used but not a problem and also can rent one from freedom racing 89 dollars and the refund 44 when you send it back. pm me or email me if you can help a brother out. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Jeff

email: ches24fan@cox.net

I could have done my own cams but let my dealership do them. As long as its a ford product they warranty the cams and install for a year. Rather be safe than crying why me !!! :rant2:

Just wanted to update the post. I picked up the timing wedge for $45 last night on ebay, so that's all taken care of. The cam install is supposed to be done on the weekend of 8 October. Can't wait though. Like a kid in a candy store, anxious with excitement and anticipation. I appreciate any assistance and comments that were provided from the team members helping me. When I'm done with the install if there is anyone in need of the timing wedge tool feel free to contact me for use or purchase. I don't think anyone should have to pay $120 for a tool like that.

Racer,

I hear you on the Dealer doing the work and and getting the warranty for the year. If the dealers around here weren't so expensive that would be an option. As for issues, I don't expect any, but i guess you never can tell. The friend helping me do the isntall has been in the business for 20+ years and has built several cars that have been in magazines as well as shown at sema, so I'm confident that it will be done right. I'm going to check a couple of places in the area and see what they say about cost but I'm still leaning toward My friends shop in NJ.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I have the tool and would have lent it to you. Yes, just get the e-bay one. It's not a high tech tool. Just a piece of plastic on a stick shaped in a certain way! I was thinking that I better get the Ford tool just in case there was something special about it. Nope, as long as it has the right shape, a cheaper tool is the way to go. I did mine in about 6 hours taking my time, and am sure that I can do them in 3 1/2 to 4 now. I don't see in your mods if your car is a stick or an auto. If auto, it will actually slow your car down in the quarter, time wise. I lost almost 1/2 second but gained 8 mph trap speed. You do loose some bottom end torque but gain the HP. So fine for a stick car, but hard on the automatic. However I'd do it again for the awsome sound! Nothing a converter and gears will not solve. I do however now need to put in the Comp Cam phaser limiters. Shelby Auto could not get a good tune on my car with the Paxton which was just installed by them. The timing kept causing them issues. So now I have to dig into it again and add the phaser limiters I guess. You'll be fine on a NA car, but the supercharger with the HR cams is causing some issues. However, I'm still happy with them, so I'll make it work. Funny, I now gained almost 1 1/2 secoonds in the quarter with the supercharger but still have the same trap speed as without...... It's awsome in the middle, but I still have a problem off the line and at the very top. Yep, converter and gears over the winter should solve a lot of my issues.

I do see where you put manual in your sig. So you will be good and happy! :happy feet:

Just wanted to update the post. I picked up the timing wedge for $45 last night on ebay, so that's all taken care of. The cam install is supposed to be done on the weekend of 8 October. Can't wait though. Like a kid in a candy store, anxious with excitement and anticipation. I appreciate any assistance and comments that were provided from the team members helping me. When I'm done with the install if there is anyone in need of the timing wedge tool feel free to contact me for use or purchase. I don't think anyone should have to pay $120 for a tool like that.

Racer,

I hear you on the Dealer doing the work and and getting the warranty for the year. If the dealers around here weren't so expensive that would be an option. As for issues, I don't expect any, but i guess you never can tell. The friend helping me do the isntall has been in the business for 20+ years and has built several cars that have been in magazines as well as shown at sema, so I'm confident that it will be done right. I'm going to check a couple of places in the area and see what they say about cost but I'm still leaning toward My friends shop in NJ.

Saving money is a good thing

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update the post, I installed the cams today with a friend. Took about 3 hours to do. Not as hard as expected and stated by the ford racing isntructions. If your on the fence about doing this yourself and you have any automotive skills then you will have no problem. It was pretty easy. I fully expected this to take longer. They sound great and there is a nice power gain to go with them. I can't wait to put the ARH long tubes and highflow cated x pipe on in the coming months. that will really bring out the power I'm sure.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to update the post, I installed the cams today with a friend. Took about 3 hours to do. Not as hard as expected and stated by the ford racing isntructions. If your on the fence about doing this yourself and you have any automotive skills then you will have no problem. It was pretty easy. I fully expected this to take longer. They sound great and there is a nice power gain to go with them. I can't wait to put the ARH long tubes and highflow cated x pipe on in the coming months. that will really bring out the power I'm sure.

Have you put your car on a dyno since installing all your mods?

I'm happy to hear about both the ease of installation and your feelings about the results. The cams are the 1 mod I'm dying to do. I haven't heard these on a car in person yet, but I've gone through tons of youtube videos and the sound is addicting lol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to hear about both the ease of installation and your feelings about the results. The cams are the 1 mod I'm dying to do. I haven't heard these on a car in person yet, but I've gone through tons of youtube videos and the sound is addicting lol

Nothing like your car rocking and the sweet sound of blapping exhaust its like heaven. I have my idle dropped a bit so it really rocks and rolls now if I only could get the wife to sound like it would pay day for me. I have cherrybomb extremes mufflers and it really sounds mean !!!

Racer,

I paid a pretty penny to get mine done at the ford dealer didn't want to chance a error. I take these pills that can make me very forget full lets say that my 4yr old is not allowed to go anywhere with me anymore. When, I did my new ford racing intake maniflod my wife had to go over everything with me. Somedays my brain is in sync and slap on a BBk pulley kit in 20 mins without removing a thing but the air intake. Somedays , I'm drooling on my car :drool: but oneday my 72 ford f100 was making a bumping sound on the rear wheels. So, I dropped it off at the dealer it turned out to be the outer wheel bearing on the 9inch ford rear they quoted me 400.00 to do it just one side. I laughed at them it would take me no time to do it myself even on my meds.

Nothing like your car rocking and the sweet sound of blapping exhaust its like heaven. I have my idle dropped a bit so it really rocks and rolls now if I only could get the wife to sound like it would pay day for me. I have cherrybomb extremes mufflers and it really sounds mean !!!

Good to hear! What's your idle at now?

Good to hear! What's your idle at now?

I agree with the rocking to sleep, it is pretty awesome, the sound is great and the people stare even more now when they hear it and see it rocking at a stop light. My idle is at 750, I'm curious what yours is at RACER? I'm looking forward to installing ARH Headers to finish off the sound and power of the cams. My job keeps reshceduling our busness trips though and that's where I make the good money. So unfortuneatley I have to wait a few more months to get the other half of the money for them.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the rocking to sleep, it is pretty awesome, the sound is great and the people stare even more now when they hear it and see it rocking at a stop light. My idle is at 750, I'm curious what yours is at RACER? I'm looking forward to installing ARH Headers to finish off the sound and power of the cams. My job keeps reshceduling our busness trips though and that's where I make the good money. So unfortuneatley I have to wait a few more months to get the other half of the money for them.

Jeff

I drop it to 640 and it rocks but you just have to watch to be safe from stalling power steering cause it in parking situation

Sorry big no on that but do have a video of me taking balleria classes in my red tights !!! :hysterical2: If you can get your hands on a SCT you can hear for yourself the mufflers make or break the sound. I'm going to put solid motor mounts and on my back window put shaken but not stirred :salute: I sux at posting video sorry :drool:

Sorry big no on that but do have a video of me taking balleria classes in my red tights !!! :hysterical2: If you can get your hands on a SCT you can hear for yourself the mufflers make or break the sound. I'm going to put solid motor mounts and on my back window put shaken but not stirred :salute: I sux at posting video sorry :drool:

Yeah I'll pass on the ballerina vid :hysterical:

I've got SLP's on it right now and love em. I found a video online of a car that has basically all of the mods I plan on doing, just don't know what he's idling at.

Heard them on a friend's '06 GT. Sound like an old '60's big block (yeah, I was there!).

Yeah I'll pass on the ballerina vid :hysterical:

I've got SLP's on it right now and love em. I found a video online of a car that has basically all of the mods I plan on doing, just don't know what he's idling at.

Like I said just play with the idle with SCT if you know to use and you can mess with your timing also but 1 degree at a time. I also bumped up the WOT by 2 since my CAI takes a lot fresh air the way its set up.

Archived