TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Using Touchless Car Wash

knightowl

I know most of us hand wash or lightly wand wash our cars, then use good towels to wipe them down or leaf blower to dry them.

Just wondering if the Touchless car washes are safe to use? I'm just concerned about the stripes coming loose, but I know most of these car washes push the water directly onto the surface as opposed to an angle, so wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences.

Thx.

The biggest problem with touchless is that the "soap" they use is pretty harsh and will remove any wax protection from your paint in no time. The other problem is the recycled/reclaimed water they use, you're putting faith in that the filters are changed cleaned regularly.

Now don't get me wrong compared to those spinning plastic bristle car washes the touchless ones are great, I use the touchless on my daily drivers every now and then. But nothing beats the care you give in your own driveway so if i'm unable to wash my Shelby myself its off to the full serve hand wash places.

Steve

I use them only on a well waxed car and I NEVER get their Wax/Clearcoat options, they are CRAP

I found using them on a car that is not waxed it does not remove the dirt at all, it actually makes it worse.

They do not do anything to the stripes, at least the ones I have been through

I use the touchless wash all the time, cause I love how quick and easy it is, also love the underbody wash. Having a lowered car it's ideal. Getting into those wheel wells is real hard. I just go through,drive home at like 70 (5min ride),dry it more with my all cotton, use meguiers spray wax (15min) and then detail the rims and tires. Forty min from start to finish and my car looks showroom everytime. I highly reccomend them and I have stripes and never had a problem with peeling or any other kinda of marks. Been doing this method for years, big fan....GL..

Using the touchless car washes is a NO-NO for me. Hand washing is the way to go. I have one question though. What can a person install in the line to soften the water? Our tap water isn't all that great and you have to watch the hard water spots. Are there filters to install in the line? Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated.....There are a lot of valid points to consider here for sure. I know I've experienced my other vehicles not coming totally clean in these, but they are just quick, that's all! I was worried about putting the stripes under pressure, so good to hear nobody has had a problem with that.

Can you imagine somebody actually putting their Shelby through one of those bristle spinning brush car washes, lol....OMG! Never in a million years, one would hope.

Using the touchless car washes is a NO-NO for me. Hand washing is the way to go. I have one question though. What can a person install in the line to soften the water? Our tap water isn't all that great and you have to watch the hard water spots. Are there filters to install in the line? Thanks in advance.

Griot's has an in-line water softener and deionizer filtration cartridge that attaches to your spigot then the water hose. Haven't tried it yet because we're on outdoor water restrictions due to the drought. It's fairly pricey, but not as expensive as their tank on wheels model.

I know most of us hand wash or lightly wand wash our cars, then use good towels to wipe them down or leaf blower to dry them.

Just wondering if the Touchless car washes are safe to use? I'm just concerned about the stripes coming loose, but I know most of these car washes push the water directly onto the surface as opposed to an angle, so wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences.

Thx.

I use a touchless auto car wash for my GT500 exclusively. There are two in town that I know of and one I will NOT use. First of all, it has inner and outer guides for the wheels and even your owners manual says not to use a wash with the inner guide. Second, the spray nozzles are on a three spoked thing so the spray nozzles 'spin' as they go past your car but most importantly, the spary nozzles are WICKED strong and I'm pretty sure they'd pull the stripes over time.

The one I do use has 4 or 5 options including the wax, clear coat, blah x 3. Like someone else already pointed out, they're CRAP. AND...being the former manager of a car wash I know this....AND, it gets on your window glass and builds up over time.

When I go to the one I do use, I get the basic plus the underside wash with a "dry cycle" (you drive the car through the blowers) then I pull back around into one of the self-wash stalls (with the wands in them) so I have a shady spot. I park in the shade, pop the hood, trunk and both doors. I bring a bag of micro fiber towels and detailing items with me in the trunk. I get my towles and start drying where the blowers miss plus where the mirrors drip, the rear spoiler drips and the hood drips. I take that towel and wipe off the door jambs, both on the doors, sills, A-pillar and B-pillar jambs, under the hood, in the trunk drain area, etc. etc. etc.

I slam the doors closed to shake any water off then redry. Same for the trunk and hood.

Oh, and I wipe my Alcoa wheels off with a microfiber cloth too. The wash does a TERRIBLE job on them so don't depend on it to clean your wheels. Do it with some towels.

I may or may not finish off under the hood on the polished supercharger, radiator cover, etc. depending on if any or how much water got in the engine bay.

I've tried doing it in my driveway but there is NO shade and I can't get the car washed before the top starts drying and I get water spots or else I'd just pull it into the garage to dry it. I DO pull it into the garage to wax it every so many washes though.

HTH,

Phill

I bought this from Costco. It works very good.

We have a well and previously I could not dry the car fast enough to eliminate spots.

Now my son can wash his black car and not even dry it, no spots. My car is kona blue and no spots.

I would highly recommend this product.

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11201522/spotless-water-systems-cr-spotless-de-ionizing-spotless-water-system-reviews/reviews.htm

It is also made in USA and is very sturdy.

Archived