TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gee, what is a Shelby GT500 KR???

Goats4ever

Through the years, I have found it sometimes difficult for Shelby owners to participate in MCA events because of the nature of how Mustang vs. Shelby owners use and perceive their cars.

I'm not a clean freak or anything even close to that, so a "car show" isn't my cup of tea as a participant. I do love :wub: the work that MCA does and I like to attend and look at the cars. . .as long as mine isn't in the running for anything. Plus, Sharon won't allow me to collect anything, so an award wouldn't bode well anyway :hysterical:

I never realized that the MCA has such contempt for the modern Shelby. They sure are happy to accept the modern dollars when Shelby places ads in their publications...

MCA does not have contempt for modern Shelbys. All late model cars are judged (just for) for cleanliness at an MCA show (Mustangs, Shelbys, Roush, Saleen, etc).

Here's the explanation I got on the judging this weekend...don't quite understand the last comment...

The Grand National Show was a Mustang Club of America (MCA) event hosted by the National Capital Region Mustang Club (NCRMC). The judging is the sole responsibility of the MCA, who provide certified judges to lead the teams of volunteer judges required to judge 477 cars in 5 hours. The Show Chairman is from the NCRMC and is responsible for everything except judging. And yes the Show Chairman did have a car in the show, two actually, and one earned a Gold award in the Concours Trailered class.

I guess an explanation of the MCA show judging is in order.

1964 to 2001 cars are judged on workmanship, cleanliness, condition, and in concours classes, authenticity. A judging sheet for a concours car can be as long as 16 pages, describing what every part of the car should look like in terms of color, finish, markings, and materials. Judging a concours car can take an hour or more, and most of the early Shelbys are in concours classes.

2002 to 2009 cars, from the lowly V6 coupe to GT500 Super Snakes, are judged on workmanship, cleanliness and condition only. A judge, male or female, doesn't have to know anything about a car's exclusivity to evaluate it on these criteria. This division is broken down into groups by year or model (Shelby, Saleen, Roush, etc.) to provide more chances for a trophy. Unfortunately for 2006 to 2009 Shelby owners, they are so many of them that competition is fierce for the three trophies available in their class.

All 2010 and later cars are popular vote and subject to the whim of the crowd.

I hope this explains why having the most expensive car doesn't guarantee a trophy.

Sharon won't allow me to collect anything, so an award wouldn't bode well anyway :hysterical:

Poor Robert that really is a bummer to not have a collection of anything. Sharon would totally divorce me with all the different collections of everything under the sun that I collect. Someday I hope to sell my various collections and live happily ever after........ or my kids will end up being power eBay sellers.

OK, Lets break this down - stupid statement by stupid statement:

Hugh, being on the board of directors for the National Capital Region Mustang Club and obviously one of the organizers for the MCA event, probably not the best idea to come on a board and publicly make such statements about people who help support your show. I know that all shows will get a couple people who are not happy with an event as do events that our Mustang Club puts on. You will always have that. However all such comments should be taken as just that and possibly help make changes in the future. You will never make everybody happy, but you can also take these things as making the event better for all. MCA at some point will certainly need to learn from these types of events. Heck even our 600 car show for all makes and models has multiple classes for late Shelby's and a separate class for Saleen's, Roush's, etc. Once we have more than 5 cars of any make or model, or even breaks in models, we have different classes. And MCA is only dealing with Mustangs. They certainly have something to learn from this whole deal. And yes, we judge them all in three hours. I certainly understand the need to do concourse on the older cars, and cleanliness, appearance type judging on newer cars, but sounds like the classes need some work. Hope all learn from this. Nobody has the right to do what somebody did to his cars, I hope they are found and prosecuted to the fullest. Would certainly hope nobody involved with the NCRM club or MCA had anything to do with this. Coming on here and alienating a whole group of cars however may not be the best choice either. Just something to think about. Best of luck on future events.

Best to just make a comment like "I understand your frustration and we will work to continue to try and improve the event in the future. Thank you for your comment and concern."

MCA does not have contempt for modern Shelbys. All late model cars are judged (just for) for cleanliness at an MCA show (Mustangs, Shelbys, Roush, Saleen, etc).

“The modern Shelbys are anything but rare and they are far from prestigious. The early Shelby earned their reps by beating the competition in race events. The new Shelbys have none of that provenance” Doesn’t sound like a guy who likes them very much...

Interestingly, the newest issue of Mustang Times has a piece on the judging of Modern Mustangs. Perhaps pointing to that article might have been a better way to make a point than get on here and use terms like “BFD"

YOU SHOULD HAVE WALKED AWAY.

Really? Why is that? I'll take you up on your demand...

Please, please, PLEASE tell me how two models of a Ford MUSTANG are "two of the most prestigious cars in the WORLD".

Let's put this into perspective. I mean after all, we are talking about a '08/'09 Ford GT500KR and/or a '07-'12 Ford GT500 Super Snake. Not a 1968 GT500 KR, Not a 2005/2006 Ford GT, but a '08/'09 GT500KR.

One of them is a "factory approved" modified GT500 MUSTANG and the other is a GT500 MUSTANG modified with aftermarket off-the-shelf items by a company that is a few years into attempting a comeback. You can try to say that Shelby American is celebrating its 50th year but let's not forget that little hiatas between about 1970 and 2007.

Again, they are both Ford Mustangs. A glorified Ford Mustang, but none the less, a MUSTANG.

The OP didn't say they were two of the most prestigious Fords, he said CARS. He didn't say "in the country", he said in the WORLD.

Now, why is it I should have walked away?

The ball's in your court,

Phill Pollard

OK, Lets break this down - stupid statement by stupid statement:

If you knew anything about MCA shows, you would know that at an MCA National/Grand National, the local club arranges the venue and the national club (MCA) arranges and conducts the judging. But obviously you don't.

Drove all the way from Mechanicsville, PA???? We had folks drive in from Arizona, Florida, and Canada for this event. Two guys flew in from France. Mechanicsville....BFD.

On most of the "late model" classes, the cars are judged for cleanliness only - not authenticity. Many of the classes don't look at the undercarriage. The judges don't have to know specifics about each car model (in this case Shelbys, since the class was for all late model Shelbys). BTW, the judges are volunteers who give their time freely. You could have volunteered to assist a judge and maybe you would have learned something.

Once again, the Chairman does not select the judges and you were being judged on the cleanliness of your car, not how cool it is or how much you spent on it. That matters not at all. The two year preparation was to secure the site, the vendors, permits, etc. BTW, the modern Shelbys are anything but rare and they are far from prestigious. The early Shelby earned their reps by beating the competition in race events. The new Shelbys have none of that provenance

Didn't you stick around for the awards ceremony? The rest of your post seems to indicate that you did (but you don't know if your "friend" won anything - curious).

He was not one of the judges. His car was entered in the Daily Driven class for early Mustangs. His car, like yours, was judged for cleanliness. The difference is that he has been to many, many MCA shows and knows how to clean up his car sufficiently to win an award. You, being a newbie to this, don't (hence your insistence that the price or exclusivity of your car should be a determiner in whether it wins)

Cars can't be "affluent" - owners can. I've already covered your ignorant comments about your opinion of what the show chairman is responsible for. Got an idea - why don't you put on your own car show? Then maybe you'll know what it takes to do one.

And you know this because???

When you do that be sure and use the spell checker.

BTW - I took the liberty of posting your original post to the MCA website so everyone can have a full and complete picture of who you are. I know from your other post that you suffered some vandalism. I am very sorry for your misfortune. However, if you conduct the rest of your life with the same 'tude that you conduct yourself here, I have no doubt that you have pissed off a lot of folks in your life.

Hugh,

I respect your freedom of speech, and I don't take your comments with any ill will toward you because they are essentially based on your emotions. This is how you unconsciously overlooked the two points in my thread regarding the Chairman and the two Judges. And from what I glean from your support of the Chairman, you must be a good friend of his. I have met the Chairman about six years ago when he came to my home to look at some very rare cars I owned.

Attached is my speaker profile while on Active duty in the Marine Corps.

Awards, I am not into this for any awards as I have boxes full of those in the closet from my military service.

Here are a few of my credentials.

- 58 years old.

- Master's Degree in National Security and Strategic Studies.

- 30 years of honorable active duty in the USMC as a tactical pilot with the highest qualification as an Air Mission Commander and MAWTS-1 graduate. 5 years of Reserve duty.

- Executive Agent to the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

- Commanded several USMC units.

- Extensive clandestine tactical operations as a USMC pilot and ground reconnaissance officer with USMC Reconnaissance units, Army Rangers, DELTA, Army Special Forces, SEALs, ANGLICO, USAF Special Operations, British Royal Marines, and countless other foreign military services.

- PARA OPs qualified.

- Extensive Counter Drug Operations both in CONUS and OCONUS with the DEA, CIA, FBI, USBP, USCG, US Marshals and all levels of metropolitan, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.

- Extensive background in Counter Terrorism operations, Anti-Terrorism / Force Protection operations.

- Top Secret, Sensitive Compartmental Information clearance (current).

- Vietnam era Veteran, Desert Shield / Desert Storm Veteran, and Veteran of the Iraq war.

- Currently work as an Anti-Terrorism / Force Protection executive for the U.S. Navy.

I have used my skills in my lifetime to make this world a safer place and to protect our freedoms of liberty.

I hardly think with the few qualifications above, I am the type who "pissed off a lot of folks...." (as you mentioned) to rise through the ranks from a Private in Boot Camp in 1974 to a LtCol in the worlds most premier military organization. If youre not a team member for one team, one fight, then you wont last a day in the USMC.

Regarding my experience with Muscle cars. Here are a few I have owned:

1969 RA IV GTO Judge, 48K original miles.

1970 RA III GTO Judge Convertible, 62K original miles.

1970 Super Bird, 7K original miles.

1970 LS6 454, 52K original miles.

1971 GTO Judge, 46K original miles.

And many more.

I never entered any of these cars or my Super Snake into any show until the Waldorf event; never had the interest.

I have Judged at National GTO events (the Chairman and all judges are exempt from showing their cars as this keeps the general public from viewing the judging as biased toward the Judges).

I have been an active NADAGuide Advisory Board Member for eight years.

I have restored several Muscle cars both body off and ground up to concourse factory specifications. I am well known throughout the GTO community as a professional.

I have had several cars show cased at major events throughout the country, but not for any award competition.

No Hugh, its not the money I spent on this car. Although the older cars I owned were in some cases sold for twice as much as the cost I have in the Super Snake. You misunderstand why I am into these cars; its because of preservation, education, and ensuring the public can enjoy their legendary engineering.

Why dont I Chair a show? In the USMC, I was the Deputy Chief of Staff responsible for the Current and Future operations of a tactical Marine Aircraft Wing comprising of 12,000 Marines and 244 aircraft, so I have the credentials, but my military standards would never be tolerated; I admit I would run the event like a military organization, and folks who have zero military experience, would not understand or tolerate that kind of organizing, and my position in the government takes most of my time up. Currently, I am responsible for the planning, operations, and coordinating of over 3,000 military and civilian law enforcement personnel for Anti-Terrorism / Force Protection. On top of that, my 30 years of USMC physical activity has taken a toll on my body and my energy.

I know what I am talking about with my comments on the Chairman and the two judges, and from what I read on this forum, you are out of synchronization with the standard operating procedures for ethics in the industry norm. I was expecting much more professionalism at an MCA sanctioned event of this magnitude like the other shows I have attended.

I stand firm on my comments and I am writing a letter to the executives of the MCA. In this thread, I only touched the surface with my experiences at the Waldorf event.

LTCOL James T. Sanny, Sr. Speaker Profile2.doc

LTCOL James T. Sanny, Sr. Speaker Profile2.doc

Hugh,

I respect your freedom of speech, and I don't take your comments with any ill will toward you because they are essentially based on your emotions. This is how you unconsciously overlooked the two points in my thread regarding the Chairman and the two Judges. And from what I glean from your support of the Chairman, you must be a good friend of his. I have met the Chairman about six years ago when he came to my home to look at some very rare cars I owned.

Awards, I am not into this for any awards as I have boxes full of those in the closet from my military service.

- 58 years old.

- 30 years of honorable active duty in the USMC as a tactical pilot with the highest qualification as an Air Mission Commander and MAWTS-1 graduate. 5 years of Reserve duty.

- Executive Agent to the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

- Extensive clandestine tactical operations as a USMC pilot and ground reconnaissance officer with USMC Reconnaissance units, Army Rangers, DELTA, Army Special Forces, SEALs, ANGLICO, USAF Special Operations, British Royal Marines, and countless other foreign military services.

- PARA OPs qualified.

- Extensive Counter Drug Operations both in CONUS and OCONUS with the DEA, CIA, FBI, USBP, USCG, US Marshals and all levels of metropolitan, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.

- Extensive background in Counter Terrorism operations, Anti-Terrorism / Force Protection operations.

- Vietnam era Veteran, Desert Shield / Desert Storm Veteran, and Veteran of the Iraq war.

- Currently work as an Anti-Terrorism / Force Protection executive for the U.S. Navy.

I have used my skills in my lifetime to make this world a safer place and to protect our freedoms of liberty.

I hardly think with the few qualifications above, I am the type who "pissed off a lot of folks...." (as you mentioned) to rise through the ranks from a Private in Boot Camp in 1974 to a LtCol in the world’s most premier military organization. If you’re not a team member for “one team, one fight,” then you won’t last a day in the USMC.

And many more.

I never entered any of these cars or my Super Snake into any show until the Waldorf event; never had the interest.

I have Judged at National GTO events (the Chairman and all judges are exempt from showing their cars as this keeps the general public from viewing the judging as biased toward the Judges).

I have restored several Muscle cars both body off and ground up to concourse factory specifications. I am well known throughout the GTO community as a professional.

I have had several cars show cased at major events throughout the country, but not for any award competition.

No Hugh, it’s not the money I spent on this car. Although the older cars I owned were in some cases sold for twice as much as the cost I have in the Super Snake. You misunderstand why I am into these cars; it’s because of preservation, education, and ensuring the public can enjoy their legendary engineering.

Why don’t I Chair a show? In the USMC, I was the Deputy Chief of Staff responsible for the Current and Future operations of a tactical Marine Aircraft Wing comprising of 12,000 Marines and 244 aircraft, so I have the credentials, but my military standards would never be tolerated; I admit I would run the event like a military organization, and folks who have zero military experience, would not understand or tolerate that kind of organizing, and my position in the government takes most of my time up. Currently, I am responsible for the planning, operations, and coordinating of over 3,000 military and civilian law enforcement personnel for Anti-Terrorism / Force Protection. On top of that, my 30 years of USMC physical activity has taken a toll on my body and my energy.

I know what I am talking about with my comments on the Chairman and the two judges, and from what I read on this forum, you are out of synchronization with the standard operating procedures for ethics in the industry norm. I was expecting much more professionalism at an MCA sanctioned event of this magnitude like the other shows I have attended.

I stand firm on my comments and I am writing a letter to the executives of the MCA. In this thread, I only touched the surface with my experiences at the Waldorf event.

Mr. Sanny,

I can't help but notice that you have not posted any replies on the MCA site to the many responses to your unfounded accusations regarding the vanadalism of your cars.

MCA and the local clubs that are affiliated with MCA are volunteer-run organizations. We are not for-profit entities like SAAC or Shelby

Hugh, being on the board of directors for the National Capital Region Mustang Club and obviously one of the organizers for the MCA event, probably not the best idea to come on a board and publicly make such statements about people who help support your show. I know that all shows will get a couple people who are not happy with an event as do events that our Mustang Club puts on. You will always have that. However all such comments should be taken as just that and possibly help make changes in the future. You will never make everybody happy, but you can also take these things as making the event better for all. MCA at some point will certainly need to learn from these types of events. Heck even our 600 car show for all makes and models has multiple classes for late Shelby's and a separate class for Saleen's, Roush's, etc. Once we have more than 5 cars of any make or model, or even breaks in models, we have different classes. And MCA is only dealing with Mustangs. They certainly have something to learn from this whole deal. And yes, we judge them all in three hours. I certainly understand the need to do concourse on the older cars, and cleanliness, appearance type judging on newer cars, but sounds like the classes need some work. Hope all learn from this. Nobody has the right to do what somebody did to his cars, I hope they are found and prosecuted to the fullest. Would certainly hope nobody involved with the NCRM club or MCA had anything to do with this. Coming on here and alienating a whole group of cars however may not be the best choice either. Just something to think about. Best of luck on future events.

Best to just make a comment like "I understand your frustration and we will work to continue to try and improve the event in the future. Thank you for your comment and concern."

Actually, I was not one of the core group of organizers (although I did work most of the weekend as a volunteer). I find it hard to turn the other cheek when someone makes unfounded accusations against myself or folks I know. Mr. Sanny's cars were vandalized and he then posted unfounded accusations on several forums accusing MCRMC and/or MCA members of traveling to his house and performing the criminal acts. He referenced his original post as the motive for this alledged act. Until that point, I (and I imagine most MCA/NCRMC members) were not even aware of his original post. I think it's significant that through all of this, Mr. Sanny has never taken the step to retract his unfounded accusations.

Hugh,

- 58 years old.

- PARA OPs qualified.

I hardly think with the few qualifications above, I am the type who "pissed off a lot of folks...." (as you mentioned) to rise through the ranks from a Private in Boot Camp in 1974 to a LtCol in the world’s most premier military organization. If you’re not a team member for “one team, one fight,” then you won’t last a day in the USMC.

And many more.

No Hugh, it’s not the money I spent on this car. Although the older cars I owned were in some cases sold for twice as much as the cost I have in the Super Snake. You misunderstand why I am into these cars; it’s because of preservation, education, and ensuring the public can enjoy their legendary engineering.

Why don’t I Chair a show? In the USMC, I was the Deputy Chief of Staff responsible for the Current and Future operations of a tactical Marine Aircraft Wing comprising of 12,000 Marines and 244 aircraft, so I have the credentials, but my military standards would never be tolerated; I admit I would run the event like a military organization, and folks who have zero military experience, would not understand or tolerate that kind of organizing, and my position in the government takes most of my time up. Currently, I am responsible for the planning, operations, and coordinating of over 3,000 military and civilian law enforcement personnel for Anti-Terrorism / Force Protection. On top of that, my 30 years of USMC physical activity has taken a toll on my body and my energy.

No, let this thread continue on it's course.

As for "shows", who really gives a hoot anyway? I could NEVER understand shows, and how they're judged. To me, it's a "popularity contest". If you personally know one of the idiots judging the show, or are affiliated with a "sponsored car club" within the show, you're almost guaranteed a trophy. To me it's nothing but politics and kiss asses. I could give a rats ass about some dust collecting ornament. To those who go to a weekly car meet, please leave those silly dust collectors at home. I don't want to walk up to your car and have to walk around a bunch of trophy's spread out on a blanket. Nor do I want to see a pile of that crap in your trunk. Who cares anyway? I certainly don't.

I entered a few shows JUST to be there to see other cars and to be with some of my friends for the day. I could care less about the trophy's. I did win once and it was the only show that meant anything to me. I had a personal close friend who was murdered. The show was a benefit for his family. I entered the show hoping I would win a trophy with his name on it. As luck would have it, I did win. As of this typing, that trophy in question is about 4 feet from me. I could care less if I don't win another trophy in my lifetime.

As for "shows", who really gives a hoot anyway? I could NEVER understand shows, and how they're judged. To me, it's a "popularity contest". If you personally know one of the idiots judging the show, or are affiliated with a "sponsored car club" within the show, you're almost guaranteed a trophy. To me it's nothing but politics and kiss asses. I could give a rats ass about some dust collecting ornament. To those who go to a weekly car meet, please leave those silly dust collectors at home. I don't want to walk up to your car and have to walk around a bunch of trophy's spread out on a blanket. Nor do I want to see a pile of that crap in your trunk. Who cares anyway? I certainly don't.

+1 :yup:

The thread should stand. Let all read it and give there 2 cents. Just no personal attacks. Winning a trophy here and there is fun. One must keep the perspective that it is 90% about the people and 10% about the cars, except when we go on a cruise...it's all about having fun in the cars with great people.

I belong to a local club here in Vancouver WA called "NW Mustangs and Classic Fords" when we host shows, all the club members park in one section for "Club Cars". Our cars are exempt from getting any awards. No voting cards are even in our cars windshields. We don't want people thinking we have some kind of click or political agenda and vote for each others cars. The trophy's are for the general public to win, not our club members.

I belong to a local club here in Vancouver WA called "NW Mustangs and Classic Fords" when we host shows, all the club members park in one section for "Club Cars". Our cars are exempt from getting any awards. No voting cards are even in our cars windshields. We don't want people thinking we have some kind of click or political agenda and vote for each others cars. The trophy's are for the general public to win, not our club members.

That's a great idea! :yup:

The one thing that can't be denied on the vandalism, which is what is most disturbing to me in all of this, is the cobra painted onto the Honda. This vandalism was related to the car show event. Circumstantially, to me that is obvious.

Best of luck, and I really mean it, that the vandals are caught. If they are in any way connected to the organizers of the event, oh boy. That will be very bad.

You might try to sweeten the pot of reward money. It's probably not going to get much attention from the sherrif's office beyond initial inquiries. You might be doing most of the footwork on the investigation with your own networking. Money talks.

Touching your cars, particularly the SS obviously, strikes a nerve in all of us. We would all like to see justice.

Someone DID willfully do this with forethought and malice. And to ruin someone's property like that, that's not right.

Good Luck

Steve

Archived