TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gee, what is a Shelby GT500 KR???

Goats4ever

You'll get a kick out of this, and wonder what the Chairman of the MCA Grand Nationals in Waldorf, Maryland was smoking when he selected his Judges. I live in Waldorf, and to experience what I did and a fellow forum member, I was embarrassed to say I live in Waldorf and highly disappointed. Over 500 cars were registered for the show.

I was showing my 2008 Vista Blue 427 NASCAR Super Snake at the show when a forum member who owns a Silver KR (he drove all the way from Mechanicsville, PA) approached me and asked me if my car had been Judged. I said, not yet. He then told me that when the two Judges arrived they spent 90 seconds on his car; thats right, 90 seconds. And to make the insult even more severe, ` the two Judges asked him what a Shelby GT500 KR was? My jaw dropped. I almost packed my stuff and left. If the Judges didn't know what a KR is, then they surly didn't know what a Super Snake is. But I stayed. The same two Judges came to my car and spent two minutes on my car; I timed them. I asked them if they knew what a Super Snake was; they both nodded and said, "No." Now the KR owner spent all day Friday prepping his car up on jack stands in the 90 degree heat to detail the under carriage because of his drive from PA.

So here we have two of the most prestegious cars in the world, and the Judges didn't care and the Chairman allowed this to happen. The Chairman, a local guy, said they had been preparing for the event for two years. So for two years the Judges for the modern Shebly KR and Super Snake sat on their butts and did nothing to learn about these rare cars. They surly knew our cars were entered for showing. I had entered my car alomost over a year ago.

I hope the KR owner on this forum took home a plaque to help make the unpleasant experience more pallitable.

The local guy who was the Chairman, took home a Gold plaque! He was announcing the winners, and he announced his name over the loud speaker; talk about an odd situation; Nothing like being humble. I'm sure the judges knew all about his car!

It is pitiful when such a prestigious organization such as the MCA is represented by Judges who don't know about Carroll Shelby's more affluent modern muscle cars; it's not like the modern KR and Super Snake haven't been around for four years. And shame on the MCA for not taking a very serious look at how the modern Shelby muscle cars should be categorized and Judged, and ensuring the Chairman did his job by ensuring his staff was well prepared for the unique KR and Super Snake cars. I don't believe these cars should be judged with the base Shelby GT500.

I'll be writing a letter to the senior offcials regarding how exceptionally poor the Judge selection was for our cars.

Gee, what's a KR and Super Snake? Never heard of em!! :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I know the owner of the KR and in addition to all the time he spent Friday getting his car ready, he spent in the neighborhood of 60+ hours detailing the car in the weeks before this event getting it ready for his show.

The fact that the show chairman won an award is rather sickening, how could they not know better? Every little show I go to the sponsoring club either excludes their cars from being judged or has a separate category just for the people running the show so they do not take away from the people who come out to help make their shows a success.

Really a third rate move on their part they should be ashamed.

the Chariman winning? that isnt fair. Most Event coordinators for their own shows, have the right mind to "DQ" their car from judging because he/his club put on the show.

I believe the KR and SS not knowing stories. I was next to a '65 Shelby GT350 a few weeks ago, and people were calling it a GTO . :doh::doh:

on top of that, they didnt noticed the huge standing sign in front of the car, detailing what the car was about :hysterical:

Wow that is sad to hear . We had the MCA show for the first time in Canada in 2008 . I entered my 07` & the judges spent at least 30 minutes looking it over, even looking underneath for all tags & markings. I had to leave early but stayed for part of the awards & when I got home I had a call from one of our club members saying I had won the 07-08` class.

I just can't get past the fact that the "judge" that was evaluating the car had no idea what it was. By definition, a judge should have expertise in or have access to all the reference material about the item that he or she is judging. They clearly sent a strong message that this show cares nothing about late model Shelby's and their participation in future events.

"So here we have two of the most prestegious cars in the world"

Ya know, I don't mean to pick on you personally but this statement just won't let me walk away.....

"Two of the most prestegious cars in the WORLD"?

A '07-'09 Super Snake and a '08 or '09 GT500KR?

I'll shut up before I insult someone.

Phill Pollard

ONE class for all Shelbys 06-09 which includes KRs and SSs. There were 3 08 KRs and 3 or 4 SSs there as well as many SGTs and GT500s.

While the judges were friendly they were not very knowledgeable about our cars. The vintage team can tell you if a bolt is an early or late 67 build. The modern team is just a bit less concerned with anything other than volume.

Very similar experience at the MCA show in Texas. I kind of like going to the shows to see other cars and let others see mine, but other than that, I don't even try anymore. The judging is nuts so I'm not going to waste my time. That said, I won a very undeserving first at that show and there where where much better cars there. It just makes no sense. I think the most informed people on late model Shelbys are on TS; the judges have no clue and MCA have no idea how to classify the cars so they lump them all together.

This just stinks! All the time and effort spent on the vehicles and nothing? Do you know what kind of car the judge owns? An older Mustang? Pre 1970?

How old were the judges?

What a crap deal.

Two lady Judges; probably in the mid-40s. The Chairman owns a few rare early model 1960s GT cars. Don't know what the lady Judges own.

Sorry, judges or event organizers should never have their cars being judged. Our Mustang club in Denver puts on a big (600+) car show. None of our cars are ever judged for the competition. We put them in a different area and show them so that people can see them, but they are not judged and are not eligible for awards. At an MCA level of show. That is just not right. Now sure at our show we have judges who don't know every single car they judge, but it's just a fun show. We have a sheet which tells the judges how to judge based on cleanliness, etc., overall appearance of underhood, interior, etc. At an MCA show, I certainly would expect the judges to know the classes that they are judging and know about the cars they are judging. Horrible, just horrible....

Very similar experience at the MCA show in Texas. I kind of like going to the shows to see other cars and let others see mine, but other than that, I don't even try anymore. The judging is nuts so I'm not going to waste my time. That said, I won a very undeserving first at that show and there where where much better cars there. It just makes no sense. I think the most informed people on late model Shelbys are on TS; the judges have no clue and MCA have no idea how to classify the cars so they lump them all together.

was that the one at mac haik ford?

I was at the show as well. I've done quite a few MCA shows over the past few years, so I am familiar with the way they do things.

Newer cars they really don't care about authenticity until they reach 10 years old and are eligible for some of their other classes.

I enter my car in Daily Driver since it is my primary form of transportation, though during classification, they tried to convince me to enter my car in one of the modified classes. I disagreed.

BTW, here are the pics I took on Sunday. Not everyone came back on Sunday, so I missed out on the cars that were there on Saturday.

http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww188/lgnlime05gt/2011%20MCA%20Grand%20National%20Waldorf%20MD/?albumview=slideshow

Ya know, I don't mean to pick on you personally but this statement just won't let me walk away.....

"Two of the most prestegious cars in the WORLD"?

A '07-'09 Super Snake and a '08 or '09 GT500KR?

I'll shut up before I insult someone.

Phill Pollard

It's true; they're just cool Mustangs. Not at all prestigious to a non Mustang fan; I'm sure many just see my KR as a noisy, fuel-swilling piece of American...

BUT, being judged by Mustang "enthusiasts", should mean that the judges know what they're looking at... And they are rare and exceptional, for Mustangs.

I was at the show as well. I've done quite a few MCA shows over the past few years, so I am familiar with the way they do things.

Newer cars they really don't care about authenticity until they reach 10 years old and are eligible for some of their other classes.

I enter my car in Daily Driver since it is my primary form of transportation, though during classification, they tried to convince me to enter my car in one of the modified classes. I disagreed.

BTW, here are the pics I took on Sunday. Not everyone came back on Sunday, so I missed out on the cars that were there on Saturday.

http://s718.photobucket.com/albums/ww188/lgnlime05gt/2011%20MCA%20Grand%20National%20Waldorf%20MD/?albumview=slideshow

Great pics, thanks for sharing. I would have loved to attend the show but too many family issues these days, take care.

+1

Just last year did the SAAC make a class for '2006 and up" Shelbys. Previously, I had been grouped with "Specialty" cars like Saleen, Roush, etc. I spoke to the president about it at the time to let him know my dissatisfaction. I think it took a while for it to sink in to the classic Shelby owners who operate SAAC that Shelby was making new cars again. The problem that you had at your show is the same- they mostly focus on the older models and pay no attention to what is going on now.

OK, Lets break this down - stupid statement by stupid statement:

You'll get a kick out of this, and wonder what the Chairman of the MCA Grand Nationals in Waldorf, Maryland was smoking when he selected his Judges. I live in Waldorf, and to experience what I did and a fellow forum member, I was embarrassed to say I live in Waldorf and highly disappointed. Over 500 cars were registered for the show.

If you knew anything about MCA shows, you would know that at an MCA National/Grand National, the local club arranges the venue and the national club (MCA) arranges and conducts the judging. But obviously you don't.

I was showing my 2008 Vista Blue 427 NASCAR Super Snake at the show when a forum member who owns a Silver KR (he drove all the way from Mechanicsville, PA) approached me and asked me if my car had been Judged.

Drove all the way from Mechanicsville, PA???? We had folks drive in from Arizona, Florida, and Canada for this event. Two guys flew in from France. Mechanicsville....BFD.

I said, not yet. He then told me that when the two Judges arrived they spent 90 seconds on his car; thats right, 90 seconds. And to make the insult even more severe, ` the two Judges asked him what a Shelby GT500 KR was? My jaw dropped. I almost packed my stuff and left. If the Judges didn't know what a KR is, then they surly didn't know what a Super Snake is. But I stayed. The same two Judges came to my car and spent two minutes on my car; I timed them. I asked them if they knew what a Super Snake was; they both nodded and said, "No." Now the KR owner spent all day Friday prepping his car up on jack stands in the 90 degree heat to detail the under carriage because of his drive from PA.

On most of the "late model" classes, the cars are judged for cleanliness only - not authenticity. Many of the classes don't look at the undercarriage. The judges don't have to know specifics about each car model (in this case Shelbys, since the class was for all late model Shelbys). BTW, the judges are volunteers who give their time freely. You could have volunteered to assist a judge and maybe you would have learned something.

So here we have two of the most prestegious cars in the world, and the Judges didn't care and the Chairman allowed this to happen. The Chairman, a local guy, said they had been preparing for the event for two years. So for two years the Judges for the modern Shebly KR and Super Snake sat on their butts and did nothing to learn about these rare cars. They surly knew our cars were entered for showing. I had entered my car alomost over a year ago.

Once again, the Chairman does not select the judges and you were being judged on the cleanliness of your car, not how cool it is or how much you spent on it. That matters not at all. The two year preparation was to secure the site, the vendors, permits, etc. BTW, the modern Shelbys are anything but rare and they are far from prestigious. The early Shelby earned their reps by beating the competition in race events. The new Shelbys have none of that provenance

I hope the KR owner on this forum took home a plaque to help make the unpleasant experience more pallitable.

Didn't you stick around for the awards ceremony? The rest of your post seems to indicate that you did (but you don't know if your "friend" won anything - curious).

The local guy who was the Chairman, took home a Gold plaque! He was announcing the winners, and he announced his name over the loud speaker; talk about an odd situation; Nothing like being humble. I'm sure the judges knew all about his car!

He was not one of the judges. His car was entered in the Daily Driven class for early Mustangs. His car, like yours, was judged for cleanliness. The difference is that he has been to many, many MCA shows and knows how to clean up his car sufficiently to win an award. You, being a newbie to this, don't (hence your insistence that the price or exclusivity of your car should be a determiner in whether it wins)

It is pitiful when such a prestigious organization such as the MCA is represented by Judges who don't know about Carroll Shelby's more affluent modern muscle cars; it's not like the modern KR and Super Snake haven't been around for four years. And shame on the MCA for not taking a very serious look at how the modern Shelby muscle cars should be categorized and Judged, and ensuring the Chairman did his job by ensuring his staff was well prepared for the unique KR and Super Snake cars.

Cars can't be "affluent" - owners can. I've already covered your ignorant comments about your opinion of what the show chairman is responsible for. Got an idea - why don't you put on your own car show? Then maybe you'll know what it takes to do one.

I don't believe these cars should be judged with the base Shelby GT500.

And you know this because???

I'll be writing a letter to the senior offcials regarding how exceptionally poor the Judge selection was for our cars.

When you do that be sure and use the spell checker.

Gee, what's a KR and Super Snake? Never heard of em!! :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

BTW - I took the liberty of posting your original post to the MCA website so everyone can have a full and complete picture of who you are. I know from your other post that you suffered some vandalism. I am very sorry for your misfortune. However, if you conduct the rest of your life with the same 'tude that you conduct yourself here, I have no doubt that you have pissed off a lot of folks in your life.

He was not one of the judges. His car was entered in the Daily Driven class for early Mustangs. His car, like yours, was judged for cleanliness. The difference is that he has been to many, many MCA shows and knows how to clean up his car sufficiently to win an award. You, being a newbie to this, don't (hence your insistence that the price or exclusivity of your car should be a determiner in whether it wins)

Lets break this down by this one statement. Still the main point he was the CHAIRMAN.............why he is even part of the judging? Most "chairmans"/car clubs have the right mind to "DQ" their cars because its a Conflict of interest .

Would be a different story if the people who put on the show had their own class, but to be put in a class with everyone else, is pretty pathetic.

Lets break this down by this one statement. Still the main point he was the CHAIRMAN.............why he is even part of the judging? Most "chairmans"/car clubs have the right mind to "DQ" their cars because its a Conflict of interest .

Would be a different story if the people who put on the show had their own class, but to be put in a class with everyone else, is pretty pathetic.

He was not part of the judging. He did not choose the judges, he did not participate in the tallying of the judging sheets. MCA does all that. Have you ever put on an MCA National show? Do you have any reference for declaring something "pathetic".

OK, Lets break this down - stupid statement by stupid statement:

If you knew anything about MCA shows, you would know that at an MCA National/Grand National, the local club arranges the venue and the national club (MCA) arranges and conducts the judging. But obviously you don't.

Drove all the way from Mechanicsville, PA???? We had folks drive in from Arizona, Florida, and Canada for this event. Two guys flew in from France. Mechanicsville....BFD.

On most of the "late model" classes, the cars are judged for cleanliness only - not authenticity. Many of the classes don't look at the undercarriage. The judges don't have to know specifics about each car model (in this case Shelbys, since the class was for all late model Shelbys). BTW, the judges are volunteers who give their time freely. You could have volunteered to assist a judge and maybe you would have learned something.

Once again, the Chairman does not select the judges and you were being judged on the cleanliness of your car, not how cool it is or how much you spent on it. That matters not at all. The two year preparation was to secure the site, the vendors, permits, etc. BTW, the modern Shelbys are anything but rare and they are far from prestigious. The early Shelby earned their reps by beating the competition in race events. The new Shelbys have none of that provenance

Didn't you stick around for the awards ceremony? The rest of your post seems to indicate that you did (but you don't know if your "friend" won anything - curious).

Cars can't be "affluent" - owners can. I've already covered your ignorant comments about your opinion of what the show chairman is responsible for. Got an idea - why don't you put on your own car show? Then maybe you'll know what it takes to do one.

And you know this because???

When you do that be sure and use the spell checker.

BTW - I took the liberty of posting your original post to the MCA website so everyone can have a full and complete picture of who you are. I know from your other post that you suffered some vandalism. I am very sorry for your misfortune. However, if you conduct the rest of your life with the same 'tude that you conduct yourself here, I have no doubt that you have pissed off a lot of folks in your life.

Some of us do race our Shelbys and are in the process of earning our stripes. This is why I NEVER enter my SGT in a car show I perfer taking it to the track. Cars shows only prove how well of a cleaner (maid) you are a car show surely doesn't prove if you can actaully drive the HELL out of a car or not. To me abililty is cooler than how well I can clean my car.

Have a nice day. :drool:

To be clear, if that was directed at me, I wasn't trying to insult anybody personally. I just think it's somewhat crazy to put such a high value on the "approval" of strangers, particularly when it's just over something you own. I understand awards such as the riddler being important honors for the true craftsmen building amazing one off projects, but the normal car show trophies and awards are just not worth this kind of drama.

To be clear, if that was directed at me, I wasn't trying to insult anybody personally. I just think it's somewhat crazy to put such a high value on the "approval" of strangers, particularly when it's just over something you own. I understand awards such as the riddler being important honors for the true craftsmen building amazing one off projects, but the normal car show trophies and awards are just not worth this kind of drama.

Amen, brother. It has been my experience that most awards at shows are pure politics. I go to them just to enjoy the cars and comraderie & don't hold much value in winning any trophies.

I was at the show on Saturday. I drove down from Wilmington, De. (about 3 hours). I drove my convertable super snake because it was a beautiful day to ride with the top down and because others from the local mustang and ford club were making a day of it. I have been in or to shows from New York to Pittsburgh and I have never seen another convertable SS (so I concur with the statements of them being rare). I did not enter the show but parked my car in the spectator section. Boy am I glad I did. The bugs in Maryland have a thing for SS grills! I thought it would be foolish to pay $60.00 and not be around for the awards on Sunday. I was also glad not to have to spend 2 hours in that hot sun cleaning my car. I did that in the shade of my favorite Oak when I got home.

There may have been 500 cars registered but there were less than 400 cars there on Saturday. I was standing next to a nice gentleman who owns another super snake convertable (nice to finally see another SS) from North Carolina when the women judges came over to his car. Having never been to an MCA show I was shocked to learn that, Yes, all they were looking at was the cleanliness of the car. It was basically a show and shine catagory. I hope he won because his car was very clean!

As I walked the grounds I was able to observe the judges looking over some of the older model cars. They were taking points off for not having the right color friction tape, wrong bolts and wrong altinator etc.

All in all it was a fun day and I learned a lot about the judging at these events. There were some rare cars and it was a fun way to spend the day with some of my local club members.

PS - I have spell check but I really don't give a sh....

Archived