TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP TVS Installed (Updated with Videos)

Rarecat

Installed the TVS this morning, what a torque monster! Two TVS newbie questions though....niether of these were normal with the stock blower

1) The TVS seems to have quite a bit more gear noise up front, is this normal? Almost sounds like it doesn't have any gear oil in the nose

2) When I shut the car down, I hear what sounds like a waste gate releasing vacuum....triple checked all connections as good....

Car runs great and is a handfull

Thanks for any insight

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have any of those sounds on mine. Regarding gear noise,TVS sounds just like the stocker . Is the noise really loud and obtrusive? No vaccum noise on shut off either. Did you buy it new? How are the boost levels? I find it hard to belive there's no gear oil in the nose. It would have seized long ago if that was the case. As soon as you let off the gas the bypass opens so there's no pressure to let off. Normal sound IMO.

A video would really help....

Bought it brand new, will try to video it. Everything seems to operates fine. The boost guage seems a little flakey, it doesn't climb with the boost build, it just jumps from 0 to about 12-13lbs at full throttle....nothing in between

Called the Ford Racing Tech Line this morning. I talked with the tech and sent him links to the videos, he seemed concerned with both the gear noise level and the vacuum/boost release at shutdown. He's going to confer with his supervisor and the inhouse TVS expert and get back to me.....

Good to hear that you got your new supercharger installed rarecat...and it only took a few hours? Sorry to hear about the couple issues that you have...sorry I can't help any on those. Hope you get it all resolved and I look forward to hearing more about your impressions and driving experiences with the new power.

Had mine professionally installed by JDM Engineering. They did a great job. No noise at all.

Often, it is worth paying for a professional install. Good luck. I am certain the Techs will resolve it.

Half the fun for me is working on the car myself. No offense to anyone here, but personally, I find it boring to pay someone to work on my cars. And just because it is professionally installed doesn't guarantee there won't be issues. I just wish I had more time to play with it.

Hope op gets it all figured out.

Had mine professionally installed by JDM Engineering. They did a great job. No noise at all. Often, it is worth paying for a professional install. Good luck. I am certain the Techs will resolve it.

Which upgrade kit did you get? If you got the FRPP 660HP kit, would you agree with most people that the car is really taken to another level with it? Just want to get as many opinions as I can before laying out the $3,000 for it this winter. Thanks.

nothing yet.....

Shouldn't take this long for them to confer.....I'd call them back agin....

A side note, I had similar noise up front with mine a few years ago, turned out to be a bad nose bearing. Seems some were built with defective bearings, so I'm told. Sent the TVS back in to get fixed, and worked fine after getting it back. Noise was gone. Not saying that's your case, but anythings possible.

Talked to Ford Racing, they felt the videos were inconclusive, which is understandable. They offered to inspect and test the TVS for me if I sent it in, so I'll be pulling it off next week. As for the boost/vacuum release at shutdown, they had me do a simple test of running the car up to operating temp, rev a few times, then take off the oil fill cap and shut it down....the thought being that if the sound disappeared, I had a kinked PCV hose somewhere. The sound did not disappear..... and no hoses are kinked.....

Just installed the VMP TVS tonight and fired it up....I've got a little more high pitched 'whistling' sound at idle (as I hear in your video) but not that gear noise you have. Something definitely doesn't sound quite right there Rarecat. I also have no whistle at all at shutdown. Good luck getting Ford to help you get it straightened out.

Hang in there....the torque is worth it.... :happy feet:

Aerohead

Talked to Ford Racing, they felt the videos were inconclusive, which is understandable. They offered to inspect and test the TVS for me if I sent it in, so I'll be pulling it off next week. As for the boost/vacuum release at shutdown, they had me do a simple test of running the car up to operating temp, rev a few times, then take off the oil fill cap and shut it down....the thought being that if the sound disappeared, I had a kinked PCV hose somewhere. The sound did not disappear..... and no hoses are kinked.....

Eh...that stinks...at least they are willing to take a look at it for you. That boost/vacuum release or whatever it is...would annoy the hell out of me. Hopefully they'll just send you a new unit.

Just installed the VMP TVS tonight and fired it up....I've got a little more high pitched 'whistling' sound at idle (as I hear in your video) but not that gear noise you have. Something definitely doesn't sound quite right there Rarecat. I also have no whistle at all at shutdown. Good luck getting Ford to help you get it straightened out.

I envy you..hehe. I am definitely to the point where I'm seeking a power increase for next year. Did you have to replace/upgrade any more components when you installed yours? I read about the cats blowing out with the higher boost - that concerns me. I need to keep mine all legal as well - as it's my daily driver.

So was the power that you have now more than you can imagine? Or are you used to high power cars already?

I envy you..hehe. I am definitely to the point where I'm seeking a power increase for next year. Did you have to replace/upgrade any more components when you installed yours? I read about the cats blowing out with the higher boost - that concerns me. I need to keep mine all legal as well - as it's my daily driver.

So was the power that you have now more than you can imagine? Or are you used to high power cars already?

Mine is a daily driver in the summer and I only use a 91 octane tune, so my RWHP is only around 630hp now. Everything else engine wise is stock, except a 170deg thermostat and a high flow air filter. I wanted the TVS for the added throttle response and boost at lower RPM's. I started with the 2.6" pulley and tune which took me from 480 to 530RWHP...now with the TVS that extra 100hp is just what I wanted. Any more really isn't usable on a daily driver from my perspective, unless you get more traction. We'll have to see about the cats and other parts long term.

I wouldn't say the power is more than I can imagine (once you've spent time on any decent 2-wheeler, no car will ever seem that quick). I'm used to fast cars (Corvette, M3), but none can rip the tires loose as easily as a 600hp+ Shelby. I can still drive it all day long, never get into the boost, and its safe and easy...but when you want the extra kick, just put your foot down. Even with traction control left on, its now easy to come around a corner in 2nd gear and kick out the back end. That's what this car is all about, in my opinion. :happy feet: well, that and the smurf-blue color you won't see on any other cars out there except a late 60's muscle car, 370Z or an old Miata.

Thanks for the review and notes, Aerohead. Much appreciated. I'll probably stick with the 660hp kit from FRPP...so I'm assuming that I'll have around 580RWHP with it's conservative tune...so that would be fine for me. You're right about the levels these cars are reaching...for street use. You figure it's going to reach a cap pretty soon. It's getting crazy...in a good way, I mean - but there's only so much you can do with it under normal cruising and day to day driving.

Which upgrade kit did you get? If you got the FRPP 660HP kit, would you agree with most people that the car is really taken to another level with it? Just want to get as many opinions as I can before laying out the $3,000 for it this winter. Thanks.

Another level is an understatment. Get it...the best 3k you'll ever spend on this car. I got mine when they were still 4k. Now that they're that low I wouldn't hesitate.

Another level is an understatment. Get it...the best 3k you'll ever spend on this car. I got mine when they were still 4k. Now that they're that low I wouldn't hesitate.

Hi Mullens...yeah, I will get it when I can..but unfortunately I just don't have the cash for it right now. Hopefully they'll still be around when I can..if not, well - guess it's just the way it goes sometimes.

Half the fun for me is working on the car myself. No offense to anyone here, but personally, I find it boring to pay someone to work on my cars. And just because it is professionally installed doesn't guarantee there won't be issues. I just wish I had more time to play with it.

Hope op gets it all figured out.

There's a real good chance that MOST of you here can/will do a better job on your own car than a typical pro tech will do.

They're in it for the money. You're in it for the pride and the joy of working on your own car.

That's why when I was still working, I treated EVERY car I worked on like it was my own. And my work showed it.

Phill Pollard

Archived