TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A True Shelby or just another SVT Cobra?

ColdwaterHotrod

The More & More I think about it, if they remove the SHELBY lettering across the back I am more in favor of ordering any & all after market parts to make it look more like it was presented at the New York unveiling, & I'll put the original Deck lid, Spoiler & Hood in storage for safe keeping.

If you really think about it & look at it from any angle going down the road, it pretty much looks like a tweaked Mustang GT, with a wider grille, small cobra badges on the front fenders & A small cobra on the lower RH corner of the grille.

The Engine Valve Covers say powered by SVT

The Supercharger says SVT

The Center Caps on the Rims say SVT on them

The front seats have embroidered Cobras on them (the Grey ones in the Yellow Mule photos).

Doesn’t that make it just another SVT Cobra rather than a highly publicized Carroll Shelby GT 500 car?

The ONLY things that say SHELBY on them are the Gas cap & Steering wheel horn button! Now who's going to see that going down the road? Maybe if were lucky enough, SVT will put Shelbys name on the cover of the owners manual that goes in the glove box so No one else will see that too.

Also, why no “White” rag tops available for the convertibles? Only Black & Parchment (tan) are offered for the 2006 Mustangs? If I order a Blue one with white stripes, Black or Parchment just doesn’t do it.

I’m starting to wonder if this isn’t more about the SVT dream team car then a car with Carroll Shelby’s input, influence & stamp of approval with his name on it? Hopefully Shelbys name will be on it somewhere on the outside of the car.... like ACROSS THE BACK!

Please, Please, Please, keep the Shelby lettering across the back or it's just another SVT Cobra as far as I'm concerned.

I’m starting to wonder if this isn’t more about the SVT dream team car then a car with Carroll Shelby’s input, influence & stamp of approval with his name on it? Hopefully Shelbys name will be on it somewhere on the outside of the car.... like ACROSS THE BACK!

Please, Please, Please, keep the Shelby lettering across the back or it's just another SVT Cobra as far as I'm concerned.

219[/snapback]

For me I don't really give a darn about SHELBY adding to my SVT COBRA. I think all this gingerbread is just contributing to a higher initial cost. If SVT wanted to make all that stuff an optional package for cachet/collectors fine by me. I want my SVT!

Agreed. This is begining to look like a missed opportunity for ford to generate cache in regards to the product line. If it continues I will shop elsewhere. I think the real winner here could be a return of the Shelby Family as true tunners similar to Saleen. But I believe the family failed to capitalize on the Fathers earlier success some 40 years ago and will do so again. There is a market for them. I know I would pay up for a "Shelby" package. Tuned to 500 HP, Wood steering wheel, Scoops,Spoiler, Brakes tailights ect. Ole Steve Saleen could lose half his buisness. But I do not believe the family has the desire. It is a shame. I know they are coming out with Shelby wheels on his site. But I would be happy to be the first customer......

• 4 weeks later...
The More & More I think about it, if they remove the SHELBY lettering across the back I am more in favor of ordering any & all after market parts to make it look more like it was presented at the New York unveiling, & I'll put the original Deck lid, Spoiler & Hood in storage for safe keeping.

If you really think about it & look at it from any angle going down the road, it pretty much looks like a tweaked Mustang GT, with a wider grille, small cobra badges on the front fenders & A small cobra on the lower RH corner of the grille.

The Engine Valve Covers say powered by SVT

The Supercharger says SVT

The Center Caps on the Rims say SVT on them

The front seats have embroidered Cobras on them (the Grey ones in the Yellow Mule photos).

Doesn’t that make it just another SVT Cobra rather than a highly publicized Carroll Shelby GT 500 car?

The ONLY things that say SHELBY on them are the Gas cap & Steering wheel horn button!  Now who's going to see that going down the road?  Maybe if were lucky enough, SVT will put Shelbys name on the cover of the owners manual that goes in the glove box so No one else will see that too. 

Also, why no “White” rag tops available for the convertibles?  Only Black & Parchment (tan) are offered for the 2006 Mustangs? If I order a Blue one with white stripes, Black or Parchment just doesn’t do it.

219[/snapback]

The name is across the back unless something has changed????????????????

As far as all the cobra references, the origional GT500's had cobras around them also even on the rear spoiler 0036-0407-0415-5356_SM.jpg but I hear you about there should be a proper balance or a dominance of Shelby's.

As far as all the cobra references, the origional GT500's had cobras around them also even on the rear spoiler 0036-0407-0415-5356_SM.jpg but I hear you about there should be a proper balance or a dominance of Shelby's.

349[/snapback]

Quite honestly, I'm buying one because of Shelby. The more definitive the Shelby influence, the happier I will be. Shelby used to be accross the brow of the hood aswell, should this be redone?

What else would you want? SVT's, as great as they are, are not a rarity. But the Shelby Mustang has not existed for more than three decades, and therefore is far more rare and special. What could be done to infuse more definitive Shelby blood?

That would be nice Jet!!!

I would like to see the GTR taillights still, I talked with another SVT rep and he mentioned that they had tried making them work with LED lights...

He then moved on and answered another person's question...so I don't know the "and ...?" part.

:(

Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised, there would be no mistaken the Shelby/SVT Cobra/whatever you want to call it with those taillights.

:D

That would be nice Jet!!!

I would like to see the GTR taillights still, I talked with another SVT rep and he mentioned that they had tried making them work with LED lights...

He then moved on and answered another person's question...so I don't know the "and ...?" part.

Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised, there would be no mistaken the Shelby/SVT Cobra/whatever you want to call it with those taillights.

389[/snapback]

What do they look like? Do you have a photo? Not that I think there's a hope they'll do it, but I'm curious.

Yes, like Crispy23c said they are suppossed to look like the GTR ones.  I did not see them, was just talking with a few SVT reps who have mentioned at different events that they were working on them.

412[/snapback]

Exactly. Milstang, when did you hear (the GTR light) info? Last time I heard that was a month ago, haven't re-checked the sources, and was wondering if you heard that recently (that would give me more hope that they could actually do it--if they are working on it still).

Actually the last time I heard that was a month ago, but I have not been to any shows or called back to SVT. My Uncle Sam has been keeping me busy.

:blink:

I hope that it still does happen but if not...I can still live with a 475+ hp car.

349[/snapback]

Wha? When did they remove S H E L B Y from the rear deck above the snake badge?

http://www.thegt500source.com/2005/photos/....1/pages/22.htm :mellow:

Crazyhorse,

They have said that it will not be on there because of the center light has to go in the rear deck lid. They did not put the light in the spoiler and it would cost more to restamp a new trunk lid just for the Shelby.

I still believe there has to be an easy work around for it. Make a plug to go where the light goes and just stick it in the back window for the hardtops. No idea about the verts except a light bar. All of these will most likely have to come from the aftermarket as the bean counters will blow these options off.

I'm starting to get very worried that the car I fell for, and ordered is losing the things that I loved. I'm not saying that all these things may be gone altogether, but at least being included as standard. I've heard that we may be losing leather on the dash, two-tone leather interior, S H E L B Y accross the back deck lid, and the cobra embroidered on the front seats. It seems that we will have to pay extra for the nineteen inch wheels, and possibly the Shelby racing stripes. Is the car, and all the things that set this car apart (other than the engine), going to be stripped back down for cost reduction? Are they simply trying to steer us back down to buying the Mustang GT, because without these things (other than the engine) that's all we'll be getting. I'm buying a Shelby Cobra GT500, if these things are lost, it's just a Ford Mustang (no offence), and they're a dime a dozen. Somebody set me straight!!! The next three months, until the Detroit Auto Show, where hopefully the car will be set in stone, are going to be spent in worry instead of excitement.

I'm starting to get very worried that the car I fell for, and ordered is losing the things that I loved.  I'm not saying that all these things may be gone altogether, but at least being included as standard.  I've heard that we may be losing leather on the dash, two-tone leather interior, S H E L B Y accross the back deck lid, and the cobra embroidered on the front seats.  It seems that we will have to pay extra for the nineteen inch wheels, and possibly the Shelby racing stripes.  Is the car, and all the things that set this car apart (other than the engine), going to be stripped back down for cost reduction?  Are they simply trying to steer us back down to buying the Mustang GT, because without these things (other than the engine) that's all we'll be getting.  I'm buying a Shelby Cobra GT500, if these things are lost, it's just a Ford Mustang (no offence), and they're a dime a dozen.  Somebody set me straight!!!  The next three months, until the Detroit Auto Show, where hopefully the car will be set in stone, are going to be spent in worry instead of excitement.

436[/snapback]

Don't think I could add anything to the above. Pretty much my sentiments word for word.

Does anyone else share our concerns? I don't want to just sit and hope, if we can ban together and make a voice. After all, we ARE the market. WE are the people they are trying to satisfy with the first Shelby Cobra GT500 in 36 years. Does anyone know who we can contact and how. Is Hau Thai-Tang the man to talk to, and if so how do we get ahold of him? If we are going to have a voice then we need to make sure we are all on the same page with our concerns, so I will start a new section for this subject under Letters To Hau Thai-Tang. Lets make as much noise as we can, keeping in mind that this is out of our passion for the car, and its' spirit.

KingCobra

Does anyone else share our concerns?  I don't want to just sit and hope, if we can ban together and make a voice.  After all, we ARE the market.  WE are the people they are trying to satisfy with the first Shelby Cobra GT500 in 36 years.  Does anyone know who we can contact and how.  Is Hau Thai-Tang the man to talk to, and if so how do we get ahold of him?  If we are going to have a voice then we need to make sure we are all on the same page with our concerns, so I will start a new section for this subject under Letters To Hau Thai-Tang.  Lets make as much noise as we can, keeping in mind that this is out of our passion for the car, and its' spirit.

KingCobra

439[/snapback]

COUNT ME IN!

STAND UP & BE COUNTED! LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE!

I'm starting to get very worried that the car I fell for, and ordered is losing the things that I loved.  I'm not saying that all these things may be gone altogether, but at least being included as standard.  I've heard that we may be losing leather on the dash, two-tone leather interior, S H E L B Y accross the back deck lid, and the cobra embroidered on the front seats.  It seems that we will have to pay extra for the nineteen inch wheels, and possibly the Shelby racing stripes.  Is the car, and all the things that set this car apart (other than the engine), going to be stripped back down for cost reduction?  Are they simply trying to steer us back down to buying the Mustang GT, because without these things (other than the engine) that's all we'll be getting.  I'm buying a Shelby Cobra GT500, if these things are lost, it's just a Ford Mustang (no offence), and they're a dime a dozen.  Somebody set me straight!!!  The next three months, until the Detroit Auto Show, where hopefully the car will be set in stone, are going to be spent in worry instead of excitement.

436[/snapback]

You have expressed my sentiments almost exactly. I may get the GT ragtop instead, if the Shelby car suffers too much bean counter (ie. parts changes) cost reduction. Or, maybe wait for the Boss. I'm guessing it will be about 5K less, with about 350-375 hp. After seeing the green concept that was on the web about 6 months ago, I was jazzed with the possibilities. We always go to Detroit every January, so that will tell the tale.

... Are they simply trying to steer us back down to buying the Mustang GT, because without these things (other than the engine) that's all we'll be getting.  I'm buying a Shelby Cobra GT500, if these things are lost, it's just a Ford Mustang (no offence), and they're a dime a dozen.  Somebody set me straight!!!  The next three months, until the Detroit Auto Show, where hopefully the car will be set in stone, are going to be spent in worry instead of excitement.

436[/snapback]

Yep...that's pretty much where I am too. Although engine and DT differences alone will make it much more than "just a Ford mustang", all these deletions still kill most of it's appeal for me.

I'm sitting tight to see what the final configuration is, what my dealer expects me to pay for it in "all options" trim, then I'll make up my mind if the "Shelby" sits in my garage or if maybe a nice new Porche Boxter does instead.

I'm waiting patiently to see what comes out in January. I have heard that if the leather dash is pulled it may be offered as an option. I can't imagine them taking the snakes off the seats as that is an easy item to put on...

I will keep my fingers crossed and continue to call the SVT line to voice my opinions for the car. I encourage you to do the same...at the very least you can ask questions and get more answers on what we can expect. That is one of the ways I have heard some of these "rumors."

• 2 years later...
I'm starting to wonder if this isn't more about the SVT dream team car then a car with Carroll Shelby's input, influence & stamp of approval with his name on it? Hopefully Shelbys name will be on it somewhere on the outside of the car.... like ACROSS THE BACK!

Rodney,

Do you like the SHELBY letters on the drivers side rear ?

Just curious... now that some time has passed !

On a white striped car the SHELBY letters spread accross the back seem to blend into the white stripes and are not as noticable as keeping the letters to one side. This is just my opinion and as you know, I have had them both ways on my car. I like them better on my car in the stock original position because they look more prominent.

:happy feet: FACTORY STOCK POSITION :happy feet:

Mods097.jpg

AFTERMARKET POSITION

TrunkRadiatorGloveboxmod067.jpg

Archived