TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Shelby GR-1 Prototype to be auctioned off

shelbymotorsports

Ford has donated to charity the Shelby GR-1 prototype which will be auctioned off by RM Auctions later this month at the Monterey auction.

The RM press release was pretty bland so below is a link to a copy of the release with pics.

Steve

http://www.0-60mag.com/news/2011/08/cars-ford-shelby-gr-1-concept-up-for-auction/

This auction happened 3 weeks ago during Monterey Car Week, and the non-running car sold for $82,500

http://www.rmauctions.com/AuctionResults.cfm?SaleCode=MO11

I remember that prototype as I helped move it when it came to town for one of the Motor Trend International Auto Shows. No engine, very light to push. Odd steering as doors did not open. To turn the front wheels, the Ford emblem on the rear panel was lifted to reveal a nut that had to be turned with a socket. and that turned the wheels! The other concept model had doors that openned, b ut the interior was unfinshed, sot it was never openned when the public or press were around.

I'd get a factory five chassis or something of the sort and get that thing on the street. That car is just so danged sexy, I can't believe they didn't build it. No way I would keep that as just a show piece. It needs to be on the street. Anything can be done with a little effort.

I'd get a factory five chassis or something of the sort and get that thing on the street. That car is just so danged sexy, I can't believe they didn't build it. No way I would keep that as just a show piece. It needs to be on the street. Anything can be done with a little effort.

+1 for that.

A Cobra chassis won't fit - the car is built on a Ford GT chassis.

Isn't the blue one the beat up "first cobra"? I know I've seen a beat up blue 289 in an article with some significant history behind it but I can't find the article. :doh:

The first Cobra (CSX2000, and it is blue ) is at the museum at the Shelby factory in LV, and it is NOT for sale. Rumor has it Carroll turned down 25 million for it

You guys see the prices on the two 289 cobras?? What makes them so special. I think ive seen the blue one somewhere correct?

They are THAT Special because they are the REAL Cobras, not the 100% correct Continuation Cobras which sell for about $75,000.00 to $125,000.00

The first Cobra (CSX2000, and it is blue ) is at the museum at the Shelby factory in LV, and it is NOT for sale. Rumor has it Carroll turned down 25 million for it

On the Tour Steve says $20M....but what's $5M amoungst friends? <lol>

Phill

Back to the RM auction.

The Porsche Steve McQueen drove in the opening to LeMans sold for 1.375M.

A Mercedes sold for almost 10M.

Must have been a pretty cool car show.

Yeah, I don't know why SPEED does do for R-M what they do for B-J.........unless B-J Pays SPEED to be on TV.

Back to the RM auction.

The Porsche Steve McQueen drove in the opening to LeMans sold for 1.375M.

A Mercedes sold for almost 10M.

Must have been a pretty cool car show.

Yeah, I don't know why SPEED does do for R-M what they do for B-J.........unless B-J Pays SPEED to be on TV.

I'ver previewd cars live from both auction houses RM & BJ, and let me tell you, RM's bar is waaaaaay higher than BJ's. BJ is about the "show"

Archived