TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Type of Synthetic Motor Oil & filter for 2011 Shelby?

tpenziner

i use what Ford recomends the Motorcraft 5w-50. My 10 uses 6 1/2 qts--i order the oil and filter from Kman--last time it was 7.25 plus shiping--i order 14 qts and 2 filters. I then bring the oil/filter to my local Texaco oil change spot, pay them 20 bucks and watch them put the oil in and Im done in 20 minutes Im too old to be crawling under cars anymore. Do a search for kman--i dont have his url in front of me--the oil filter is in your manual

i use what Ford recomends the Motorcraft 5w-50. My 10 uses 6 1/2 qts--i order the oil and filter from Kman--last time it was 7.25 plus shiping--i order 14 qts and 2 filters. I then bring the oil/filter to my local Texaco oil change spot, pay them 20 bucks and watch them put the oil in and Im done in 20 minutes Im too old to be crawling under cars anymore. Do a search for kman--i dont have his url in front of me--the oil filter is in your manual

The Filter is a Motorcraft FL-820S. I change my own, every time. IF you do take it somewhere, many places will unknowingly use 5W20 or 5W30...BEWARE. Even hear stories about the dealer doing this...as Torched10 says, take them the oil if you can't do it yourself.

Yep on the Motorcraft FL-820S. I get mine at walmart or advanced auto parts. My 11 calls for 6.5 quarts but that never seems to fill her up. I end up right below 7.5 quarts to have it right below the dipstick top fill mark.

I used the Motorcraft from Ford. It was free, otherwise I probably would've used the Redline. Mine showed full at 7 quarts exactly, then after driving the car I needed to

add a little less than 1/2 a quart to bring it to the full line. So, it was 7.4 quarts as mentioned in several posts.

I did my first change at 1,000 miles, and to be honest, it was a waste to do it so early. The oil looked absolutely brand new when it came out.

I used the Motorcraft from Ford. It was free, otherwise I probably would've used the Redline. Mine showed full at 7 quarts exactly, then after driving the car I needed to

add a little less than 1/2 a quart to bring it to the full line. So, it was 7.4 quarts as mentioned in several posts.

I did my first change at 1,000 miles, and to be honest, it was a waste to do it so early. The oil looked absolutely brand new when it came out.

What does full mean in terms of the dip-stick reading; at the top of the cross-hatch area or at the second hole?

• 4 years later...

I mis-typed in the above post..... 5-50 NOT 0-50!!

Amsoil makes a good 5-50 now..... From what others have said, it can stay in the crankcase for one year, and does not shear down to a lesser viscosity. It stays a true 5-50 thorughout its lifetime. The Ford label 5-50 oil breaks down to a 40 weight after 1000 miles.

Archived