TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Automatic Tans Conversion?

I may be facing some surgery that could (worst case scenario) put an end to my stick shifting days. I would really hate to give up my SGT. Anyone know if it's possible to convert a 5 spd to an automatic? Sure, I know anything's possible with enough time and $, but automatic SGT's don't seem to be easy to find, and I'm really attached to my current car, so I might consider spending some cash. I'm assuming the auto trans and torque converter would be installed in place of the current clutch and trans. The pedal and console/shifter could come from a salvage yard. Not sure if the PCM could just be re-programed or if a complete swap out would be necessary. Also have to consider the effect on value and collectability of the car. Any thoughts?

I assume it's possible, and I wouldn't worry about collectibility personally, just keep the stuff you take off, and as long as you don't have to cut stuff up to do the swap all will be good IMO!

Good luck with the health issues too!

It is indeed possible. I have a buddy that did it. He was lucky enough to find a guy with an auto that wanted a 5 speed to swap with.

Besides the obvious, the wiring harnesses and pcm's have to be swapped also. You will then need to have it tuned depending on what mods the two cars have.

Hope it all works out for you.

It is indeed possible. I have a buddy that did it. He was lucky enough to find a guy with an auto that wanted a 5 speed to swap with.

Besides the obvious, the wiring harnesses and pcm's have to be swapped also. You will then need to have it tuned depending on what mods the two cars have.

Hope it all works out for you.

I am a paraplegic and cannot use my left leg. Honestly, I have had allot of Mustangs and Porsche's before I was hurt. The new autos are excellent, you could never shift that fast. Down side would be at a road course. I hope all works out for you and you dont have to go down that route.

All my best...jason

Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like it would be great to find an auto SGT or GT owner that wants to swap if I have to go that route. I had an '06 GT with auto trans before the Shelby, so I know how well they work. I had several muscle cars before the SGT, all autos, and became a 'stick shifter' late in life but I really enjoy it. In any case, it sounds like I will be able to keep the Shelby for the forseeable future.

Dan,

I had an 07 SGT (sold it to another TS member, now a good friend!) that was an automatic. Wanted an automatic because of the traffic in So Cal and just 'cause. Since then I've kind of kept an eye on the automatics available and have seen some beautiful ones come up for sale. So they are definitely out there if you need to go that direction. I would think that picking one up already done would be preferable to converting a stick.

Here's an example of what's out there:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3984Q2em1423Q2el2649QQitemZ190571171282QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT

And trust me, it was wicked fun to drive! :peelout:...and I think the current owner would attest to that as well.

Anyway, good luck with your health.

John

Archived