TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front Suspension Diagnosis

My ,08 SGT coup has the FRPP K springs and Koni Yellow sport struts/shocks. Car has 26K miles on it. In hot weather, only after driving for about 12-15 minutes, there is a "clanking" noise from the front suspension. The local Ford dealer tech checked out tie rods, links, ball joints, etc and supposedly found nothing. They want to keep the car for 2-3 days to do more test driving, etc. My money is on the (stock) strut mounting plates. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any input.

My ,08 SGT coup has the FRPP K springs and Koni Yellow sport struts/shocks. Car has 26K miles on it. In hot weather, only after driving for about 12-15 minutes, there is a "clanking" noise from the front suspension. The local Ford dealer tech checked out tie rods, links, ball joints, etc and supposedly found nothing. They want to keep the car for 2-3 days to do more test driving, etc. My money is on the (stock) strut mounting plates. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any input.

My car is lowered with Ford Racing suspension kit and have the same problem. I have a "clunk" on the passenger side.

This is what I've found.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/720833-front-end-clunking-noise.html

I have the same noise on the drivers side. The only suspension mods I have are the BMR lower control arms. Under normal driving I never heard it and I often hit the highway on and off ramps hard. And I never heard it when doing autocross. However while at Lime Rock a few weeks ago it was really loud. I only heard it when taking the left part of the S curve after the straight-away. It was so loud it concerned me but the fun and adrenalin were too strong to worry.

i've had maximum motorsports caster/camber plates installed in mine and they've been popping on occassion when i pull in and out of driveway or when i'm agressive with brakes(from weight being shifted forward). i had them installed so i can reduce the amount of negative camber on the front due to inside tread wear.

i've had maximum motorsports caster/camber plates installed in mine and they've been popping on occassion when i pull in and out of driveway or when i'm agressive with brakes(from weight being shifted forward). i had them installed so i can reduce the amount of negative camber on the front due to inside tread wear.

Did the noise start after you installed the Koni shocks?

Did the noise start after you installed the Koni shocks?

Ford dealer had the car for two full days and ran about 1/3 tank of fuel through it. Said they could not duplicate the problem again, although the mechanic acknowledged it when he rode with me on a test drive last week. I don't remember noticing it for a long time after installing the Konis, so I don't think it's related to the struts per se. Only starts after at least 12-15 minutes of driving in really hot weather ( over 100 deg every day here for about the last month). I never hear it in the am when driving to work. Always hear it on the way home. As an experiment, I tried setting the rebound on the Konis to full firm to see if it would change. Made no difference in the noise. At this point, I'm betting on the stock strut mount plates. Thinking of installing the Steeda plates which are supposed to be quiet, but hate to spend the money and still have the noise.

It's more of a loose, sharp "clank" like a loose bracket than a deep thud or clunk.

Thanks for the input guys. This forum is great!

• 9 months later...

Not trying to be rude or a smart ass, but if you want performance suspension its gonna have weird noises, it's gonna be harsh. Guaranteed. If you want a quiet and smooth ride the standard mustang will give you that. Most generally you can't have both, you can have performance or comfort. The two do not go hand in hand. Well, not for the price our parts.

(null)

Not trying to be rude or a smart ass, but if you want performance suspension its gonna have weird noises, it's gonna be harsh. Guaranteed. If you want a quiet and smooth ride the standard mustang will give you that. Most generally you can't have both, you can have performance or comfort. The two do not go hand in hand. Well, not for the price our parts.

(null)

dont pee in our wheaties we have to have dreams!!

seriously though i had a nasty clank in mine right after i got my car. turns out my lower control arm on the passenger side had come loose. i doubt its tha case with the cars here but id look at it. i heard it any time the suspension went to neutral or negative weight(hard bump for example)

Archived