TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 08SGT Convertible is at Shelby for the GT/SC Upfit

Anton Ruighaver

Hey folks,

Most of you have no idea who I am, with the possible exception of MyWickedShelby, 07REDGT500 and a few others, but I'm so excited and I just had to share...

In February, I got an opportunity to purchase a car I've loved since the day it was released, a 2008 Shelby GT Convertible. Back in 2008, I could not have even fathomed being able to afford to buy it new, I was fortunate enought to have been able to purchase it for less than half the original MSRP and literally feel like I stole it. I found it at a Ford Dealership in a VERY rural part of Maryland, it had a little less than 20K miles and it had been on the lot since August of 2010. It probably didn't hurt that they were a ROUSH authorized dealership and seemed to know VERY little about Shelby GTs.

It is loaded with every factory Mustang GT option available (IUP, NAV, etc), plus a few nice Shelby installed options the previous owner had ordered with the car beyond the standard SGT package (Gauges, Pedals, Headrests & Console covers, Faux Gas Cap Logo, Trunk Mat, Engine Dress Up Kit). I had it VERY thoroughly checked out and brought it home on February 23rd.

Now, my 2008 Shelby GT Convertible is in Las Vegas at Shelby being converted into a GT/SC. I had a conversation with Gary Patterson in Carlisle at the Ford Nationals about doing the upgrade, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since (thanks Gary!). Last month, I contacted Roger (Sorel) and reviewed my options with him, and the stage was set. My car arrived last Wednesday, and Roger and Frankie have been very tolerant of my incessant calls and e-mails (thanks guys!).

Now my performance should finally match my plates :peelout: ! :hysterical: I'll keep you all posted...

XLR8N.jpg

-Anton

Nice....very nice. I will say this (even though I have a deal on mine right now) this is a bad ass car that only as hand full of way more expensive cars can beat on the road today, and the looks are killer. The GT/SC is one awesome car, except they should discontinue making them so they can be even more exclusive down the road. ;0

I will say, one day these cars will be one of the major "barn finds" you'll read about. NY Times in 2044 News article: " Rare 2007 Shelby GT/SC found in barn stored 37 years years. The car will be sold at auction in its present condition. Starting bid will be $________. 00" You fill in the blanks. ;)

post-10457-0-59316300-1314506311_thumb.jpg

post-10457-0-59316300-1314506311_thumb.jpg

Congratulations and good luck!!!!!!! Make sure you have the Revan racing heat exchanger installed. You might also look at having the Thump RRR billet aluminum tensioner arm installed too.

Good luck! You'll be in a very exclusive group. I believe the count is under 10 convertibles that have been converted to GT/SC's.

Actually, no... I had swiped that off the internet right after I committed to buying the car (before I picked it up) and just PhotoShopped in my CSM... How could 'ya tell?

Here's the real thing...

SGT_Dash.jpg

And a little closer up:

SGT_Dash_CSM.jpg

Anton

I was able to tell because that's a fake Shelby dash plaque in your signature line. The Shelby Registry, Shelby American and Shelby Licensing are always on the lookout for fake dash plaques. When I saw your signature line pic I became curious and was hoping that it wasn't a pic of your actual dash plaque. I'm glad it wasn't and that your actual dash plaque is the real thing.

Steve

Hey folks,

Most of you have no idea who I am, with the possible exception of MyWickedShelby, 07REDGT500 and a few others, but I'm so excited and I just had to share...

In February, I got an opportunity to purchase a car I've loved since the day it was released, a 2008 Shelby GT Convertible. Back in 2008, I could not have even fathomed being able to afford to buy it new, I was fortunate enought to have been able to purchase it for less than half the original MSRP and literally feel like I stole it. I found it at a Ford Dealership in a VERY rural part of Maryland, it had a little less than 20K miles and it had been on the lot since August of 2010. It probably didn't hurt that they were a ROUSH authorized dealership and seemed to know VERY little about Shelby GTs.

It is loaded with every factory Mustang GT option available (IUP, NAV, etc), plus a few nice Shelby installed options the previous owner had ordered with the car beyond the standard SGT package (Gauges, Pedals, Headrests & Console covers, Faux Gas Cap Logo, Trunk Mat, Engine Dress Up Kit). I had it VERY thoroughly checked out and brought it home on February 23rd.

Now, my 2008 Shelby GT Convertible is in Las Vegas at Shelby being converted into a GT/SC. I had a conversation with Gary Patterson in Carlisle at the Ford Nationals about doing the upgrade, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since (thanks Gary!). Last month, I contacted Roger (Sorel) and reviewed my options with him, and the stage was set. My car arrived last Wednesday, and Roger and Frankie have been very tolerant of my incessant calls and e-mails (thanks guys!).Now my performance should finally match my plates :peelout: ! :hysterical: I'll keep you all posted...

-Anton

Good for you!!!!

Tell Roger you want the tensioner support brace. It's cheap (under $100) and Roger INSISTED I get it when my GT/SC package was done a few weeks ago. He ran it on his GT/SC for thousands of miles with no belt issues. That includes being the Pace Car at several track events (where it was driven by Gary Patterson, who breaks cars for FUN). Tell him "Jer said you'd want me to have this".

I also did the Shelby/ReVan Racing/C&R radiator and heat exchanger. I live in the desert here in Vegas, it was money well spent!

400 miles on the "new" car so far, and it's so fun I have a grin on my face everytime I drive it. People said, "It'll feel like a totally different car", but I disagree. If you drive it moderately, it's the exact same car. Totally well-behaved, quiet, no difference at all. Push the "go" pedal harder, and the "new car" rears its gorgeous head! LOL... The supercharger WHINE makes it well worth turning the stereo OFF. Check out my thread below ("Pulled The Trigger") for more impressions.

Again, congrats.

Jer

Hey guys,

REALLY appreciate all the good will, I am getting incredibly excited to see/feel the changes... :drool:

Here is a list of everything they're doing to my baby:

Black Ford (Whipple 550) Supercharger with Cold Air Intake

4-Wheel Brake Upgrade (Baer Rotors & Pads) and Stainless Brake Lines

Shelby Boost Gauge (Swap Blue LED from Oil Temp) - Already had the gauges

GT/SC Side Stripe & Under Hood “Factory Supercharged” Badging & Shelby GT/SC Cert

Full Shelby Billet Cooling System Upgrade

New Metco Pulleys and Metco Tensioner Support Plate

Front Brake Ducts & PIAA driving lights

New Stage 3 Clutch Kit (flywheel, disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder, throw out bearing)

Shelby 4.6L Black Etched Valve Covers

I am also having them do my Stripes/Scoop while it's there as well... :happy feet:

Anton

Hey guys,

REALLY appreciate all the good will, I am getting incredibly excited to see/feel the changes... :drool:

Here is a list of everything they're doing to my baby:

Black Ford (Whipple 550) Supercharger with Cold Air Intake

4-Wheel Brake Upgrade (Baer Rotors & Pads) and Stainless Brake Lines

Shelby Boost Gauge (Swap Blue LED from Oil Temp) - Already had the gauges

GT/SC Side Stripe & Under Hood "Factory Supercharged" Badging & Shelby GT/SC Cert

Full Shelby Billet Cooling System Upgrade

New Metco Pulleys and Metco Tensioner Support Plate

Front Brake Ducts & PIAA dribing lights

New Stage 3 Clutch Kit (flywheel, disc, pressure plate, slave cylinder, throw out bearing)

Shelby 4.6L Black Etched Valve Covers

I am also having them do my Stripes/Scoop while it's there as well... :happy feet:

Anton

Great list of mods! I will be adding the Metco pulleys as well. And a clutch when mine wears out!

I am a little confused as to how they will do the driving lights AND brake ducts on an intercooler-equipped Whippled car. It was my understanding there was no clearance...

Hmmm...

Jer

Not sure Jer, I spoke to Frankie about it and he said it was no problem... :shrug:

Anton

Maybe they figured something out.... let us all in on it if the car does get both. Love to learn how.

Thanks,

Jer

• 4 weeks later...

Heading out to Shelby next Thursday (the 13th) to see my baby :happy feet: !!!

Anton

If you're in Vegas, bring it by to see me!

Guitar Center

Town Square Las Vegas

6587 Las Vegas Blvd South

Las Vegas, NV 89119

(We're diagonally across the street fron the Airport!)

Jer

Hey folks... Quick update.

Trip was pushed back a bit, so we'll be going this coming Saturday and flying back on Tuesday... I'll have my car shipped back via either Reliable or Gran Turismo right after that. Can't really take the time off to drive it back right now as we're in the middle of moving my comapny to a new facility.

Thanks again Jon for peekin in on her. Jer, I'll give you a call during the week to setup a time to get together for a few... I'll keep everyone posted.

Anton

Archived