TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Road Racing and Track Days. A long Post

gth0007

Over the past two years I've noticed an increasing number of Team Shelby members that are posting comments on how to make their Shelbys (and Mustangs) go faster,stop quicker, and handle better, and wanting sources to go to accomplish these goals. As an older person, (I'm 63), I've just about burned out of going to long hot days at car shows. I made the fatal mistake of participating at a track day at Sebring Raceway. Now, the "let's drive 'em" bug has hopelessly taken over my thinking. As a Shelby American / Team Shelby Registrar and insane Ford fan, I'm committed to promoting the Ford and Shelby brand. The 2005+ Mustang platform has created so many opportunities to modify, race, and get crazy with this car. There is NOTHING you cannot buy for this platform to make it "go fast". So, the reason for this Post is to encourage every member to find their niche and go for it. Being old and lazy, I chose to use Ford Racing's R&D to go fast. All of Fords competition vehicles (www.FordRacing.com/Competition Vehicles) are great, period. The CJ drag car, the FR500C, FR500S, and FR500GT all use the latest in technology and make it easy for you to go fast. So I chose the FR500S that is only now coming onto the used race car market for us amateurs. If you cannot spring for the $30,000+ these cars command, then go to the Ford Racing / Competition Vehicles website and you see, by Ford part number, what makes these cars fast. Most of these parts will fit very nicely on your SGT, GT-500, and Mustang GT. Key components for handling are the dampeners made by ZF Sachs, fully adjustable but very pricey at over $1,000 per corner. The Ford Racing site will give you every part for these cars, from brake cooling ducts, to AIMs Data Acquisition Systems, to fire suppression systems, racing seats, exhaust systems, Brembo brake packages, adjustable suspension components. SAI also sells a lot of these go fast parts. While none of this is cheap, it still beats buying a lot of garbage parts from cottage industry shops and staying with established Ford Racing, Shelby will get you to the performance you want without experimenting with "what works". Anyway, just go for it, and drive the hell out of these cars for that's where the fun is and you can always look at them later at the car show. regards, Larry

Well stated. I did a few car shows and, honestly, that is not how I want to spend my Shelby time. By that I mean I am not interested in entering my car in the shows because, as you say, you are stuck there all day. I bought my car to drive it on the track and have had a great time doing it. Great post.

Jim

Great post, I too used to be all about car shows but after a few it got boring seeing the same cars over and over again. I mean it is cool to hang out with some people but I was tired of getting sunburned, lol!!! I too went to Sebring and only did a trial run and man am I hooked now, driving in a controlled environment and learning your own car is so much fun and beneficial. As far as parts go , i go with what are proven from the people I talk and see at the track not from what a website states. Enjoy these vehicles, they are not meant to live in garages and shows.

Homestead Speedway is next for me :shift:

Here is a Sebring pic.

DSC08500.jpg

You are not alone.....

I was at the same Sebring event and I think the same bug bit me.....AND the wife! Our race prepped 83 Capri (a 1500.00 ebay find) is just about ready to hit the track....going to learn with this while I look for a candidate S197 to build...

Great post! I am with you I am hooked on track driving! :shift: It's a great way to enjoy your car for sure

Welcome to the enlightened side. It's nice to have a forty-year-old commitment validated:

5105543277_8da5af13a3_z.jpg

Photo by Caliphotography.com 2010

mgbtjrr3.jpg

Photo by Vern Jaques 1968

Edited by Frank S

Great post, I too used to be all about car shows but after a few it got boring seeing the same cars over and over again. I mean it is cool to hang out with some people but I was tired of getting sunburned, lol!!! I too went to Sebring and only did a trial run and man am I hooked now, driving in a controlled environment and learning your own car is so much fun and beneficial. As far as parts go , i go with what are proven from the people I talk and see at the track not from what a website states. Enjoy these vehicles, they are not meant to live in garages and shows.

Homestead Speedway is next for me :shift:

Here is a Sebring pic.

DSC08500.jpg

I'm putting Homestead on my calendar. I will try and bring the FR500S. My next step in the "drive 'em" mode was to join NASA (National Auto Sport Association). This group has several classes of on track driving from controlled cruising to all out racing. A very nice way to learn in a safe controlled environment. Good luck, Larry

• 2 months later...

Over the past two years I've noticed an increasing number of Team Shelby members that are posting comments on how to make their Shelbys (and Mustangs) go faster,stop quicker, and handle better, and wanting sources to go to accomplish these goals. As an older person, (I'm 63), I've just about burned out of going to long hot days at car shows. I made the fatal mistake of participating at a track day at Sebring Raceway. Now, the "let's drive 'em" bug has hopelessly taken over my thinking. As a Shelby American / Team Shelby Registrar and insane Ford fan, I'm committed to promoting the Ford and Shelby brand. The 2005+ Mustang platform has created so many opportunities to modify, race, and get crazy with this car. There is NOTHING you cannot buy for this platform to make it "go fast". So, the reason for this Post is to encourage every member to find their niche and go for it. Being old and lazy, I chose to use Ford Racing's R&D to go fast. All of Fords competition vehicles (www.FordRacing.com/Competition Vehicles) are great, period. The CJ drag car, the FR500C, FR500S, and FR500GT all use the latest in technology and make it easy for you to go fast. So I chose the FR500S that is only now coming onto the used race car market for us amateurs. If you cannot spring for the $30,000+ these cars command, then go to the Ford Racing / Competition Vehicles website and you see, by Ford part number, what makes these cars fast. Most of these parts will fit very nicely on your SGT, GT-500, and Mustang GT. Key components for handling are the dampeners made by ZF Sachs, fully adjustable but very pricey at over $1,000 per corner. The Ford Racing site will give you every part for these cars, from brake cooling ducts, to AIMs Data Acquisition Systems, to fire suppression systems, racing seats, exhaust systems, Brembo brake packages, adjustable suspension components. SAI also sells a lot of these go fast parts. While none of this is cheap, it still beats buying a lot of garbage parts from cottage industry shops and staying with established Ford Racing, Shelby will get you to the performance you want without experimenting with "what works". Anyway, just go for it, and drive the hell out of these cars for that's where the fun is and you can always look at them later at the car show. regards, Larry

Just had a fun weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway at the NASA (National Auto Sport Association) Florida Region event. What a nice relaxed event with plenty of on track time for every level of driving experience. I'm just beginning the process and learning as fast as possible. Ford and Shelby was very well represented with one 2008 FR500S, one 2011 Boss 302S, one Boss Laguna Seca, one regular Boss 302, a 2011 GT-500 and several earlier model Mustang race cars. The usual "brand X" suspects were also there including numerous Porsches, BMW, Corvette, Miatas, Nissan GT-R, even a late model Ferrari. The most important part of the whole weekend was how friendly and helpful everyone was in answering all of the "new guy" type questions. The two Mustangs ( FR500s and 302 S) owners really brought me up to speed in planning my first on track experience. I would encourage Team Shelby members to find your next Regional NASA event and see just how cool this group of racers are. These events are WAY BETTER then any car show I've ever attended. The new Laguna Seca and Boss 302s are very FAST, even in the pure street stock livery. And the price is right for spectators, it was FREE for non-competitors !! Seriously check this series out with the whole family. regards, Larry

Larry

missed you at the Mid America this year. Load that FR500S and come run Hallett next June.

Take Care

John White

Just had a fun weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway at the NASA (National Auto Sport Association) Florida Region event. What a nice relaxed event with plenty of on track time for every level of driving experience. I'm just beginning the process and learning as fast as possible. Ford and Shelby was very well represented with one 2008 FR500S, one 2011 Boss 302S, one Boss Laguna Seca, one regular Boss 302, a 2011 GT-500 and several earlier model Mustang race cars. The usual "brand X" suspects were also there including numerous Porsches, BMW, Corvette, Miatas, Nissan GT-R, even a late model Ferrari. The most important part of the whole weekend was how friendly and helpful everyone was in answering all of the "new guy" type questions. The two Mustangs ( FR500s and 302 S) owners really brought me up to speed in planning my first on track experience. I would encourage Team Shelby members to find your next Regional NASA event and see just how cool this group of racers are. These events are WAY BETTER then any car show I've ever attended. The new Laguna Seca and Boss 302s are very FAST, even in the pure street stock livery. And the price is right for spectators, it was FREE for non-competitors !! Seriously check this series out with the whole family. regards, Larry

This says it all- http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71186-track-day-photos-from-oct-1st-portland/

I try to find time to take my Shleby GT out from some exercise 3 or 4 track days a year, last month I did 2 with in 15 days of each other-- :shift:

Still only 8k miles on it, most of them at full tilt :)

------------------------------------------

Edited by FordFan1

Well stated. I did a few car shows and, honestly, that is not how I want to spend my Shelby time. By that I mean I am not interested in entering my car in the shows because, as you say, you are stuck there all day. I bought my car to drive it on the track and have had a great time doing it. Great post.

Jim

Since your in box is full, I must try this way. Your Roll Cage. Where did you get yours and how much? Not just nosey, but looking for one and asking the ones that look the best.

Thanks

Participating, Promoting, Judging, etc. since 1992, I know your point. I felt this way in 2001 and bought a Z06 Vette, but was coming back from a Car Show (old men and old habits are hard to break), when I powershifted and the clutch stuck to the floor. I never raced it, but every time I went to the Chevy Dealership, I asked what I did to it. I told them I drove it. This is the first Z06, which was to be drove "Hard", "Drag Raced on Saturday" then "Road Raced on Sunday". Problem was plastic plastic parts in the tranny, asmatic clutch, weak half shafts, bad rings, sticking brakes, bad shifts-depending on time line of build of tranny, etc.

So, I kind of got sour "High Performance", but traded it for the Best. 2003 10th Anniversary Mustang Cobra SVT Convertible Silver and loved it, till some drunk with a suspended license, ran a red light, coming off the interstate and T-boned it. Yes, it was totaled. After spending tons of money going to "Premier Car Shows" out of town and finding that 95%, were promoted, judged, or ran by people dumber than a box of rocks. Who, had tons of excuses for bad shows. Promoter, stole the money Graceland Elvis; mystery classes at Mid West Truck Nationals, it is for a good cause and all those with Computer programs that figure results that take till after 6 P.M., when everything was judged by 2 P.M. I said the hell with it and traded for the Shelby in October. At 66, this is not mid-life crisis, it is, I had enough. Only goal now is Fun and 200 mph, seems simple to me.

Since your in box is full, I must try this way. Your Roll Cage. Where did you get yours and how much? Not just nosey, but looking for one and asking the ones that look the best.

Thanks

There have been several roll cage topics on the Team Shelby forum. The type cage is dependent on what you plan on doing with your car. Each sanctioning body has specific rules on roll cages. I would try the NASA, SCCA, NHRA, etc websites for the specs. If you are wanting a street or light track type cage / roll bar then Steeda has several offerings. There a several on track entry level events that don't require a roll bar or cage, the HPDE class of NASA (National Auto Sport Association) comes to mind. Good luck, putting your car on the track is where it is !! regards, Larry