TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fake sgt

I found this on eBay. Looks real on the outside but the engine plaque and the dash plaque are wrong. Same with the sill plates. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d4Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d2296516819611872371QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ110731992826

Edited by SHELBYGUY

I found this on eBay. Looks real on the outside but the engine plaque and the dash plaque are wrong. Same with the sill plates. http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ110731992826

I might have figured this out.

It's a Flood Damaged car, and someone swiped a few "Shelby mementos" during the salvage process.

Otherwise, it looks authentic to me.

Jer

I might have figured this out.

It's a Flood Damaged car, and someone swiped a few "Shelby mementos" during the salvage process.

Otherwise, it looks authentic to me.

Jer

How did you figure it was a flood damaged car, etc?

CC

How did you figure it was a flood damaged car, etc?

CC

It's in the item description.

Jer

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 3.52.54 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 3.52.54 PM.jpg

Edited by Jer

Please tell me this isn't what you get from SA if you need a genuine replacement :finger:

I'm pretty sure that came from the "Things Remembered" kiosk at a mall somewhere. They probably threw in a free personalized "World's Best Dad" coffee mug.

Jer

I'm pretty sure that came from the "Things Remembered" kiosk at a mall somewhere. They probably threw in a free personalized "World's Best Dad" coffee mug.

Jer

Not quite the answer I was expecting :slapfight:

But it does make sense :headscratch:

Not quite the answer I was expecting :slapfight:

But it does make sense :headscratch:

Well, I can't speak for Shelby, but I'd bet a replacement from them would be identical to the originals.

Maybe even with some rivets for the underhood plaque, so you wouldn't have to use Phillips screws!

Jer

Wow, 5 bidders and up to 20K for a water logged salvage car.

I've seen a lot better car for the same amount being asked for.

CC

Well, it iS low miles.

Not counting the miles it may have traveled down a river somewhere.

Jer

Ah yes, extra long paddles out the window as you gently float down the river of whatever garbage was in the water with you.:sing_rain:

No matter how "cleaned up" that car was I would not want to trust my health or my families in it.

CC

3 owners in 4,700 miles, water salvaged, and it hasn't hit it's reserve at $20K? Geesh... that guy should take the gift horse and sell it. I certainly wouldn't want to buy the future hassles that car will have. Unless the entire harness has been replaced and every bit of interior, it will have problems.

I certainly wouldn't want to buy the future hassles that car will have. Unless the entire harness has been replaced and every bit of interior, it will have problems.

My point exactly. Future rust issues, bacteria, mold, you name it could be in the next owners future.

Take the 20K, count yourself lucky and run for the bank before the buyer has an "what the" moment.

CC

A few things in no particular order.

Those are not Shelby American issued dash/engine plaques. In the VERY RARE cases that we need to replace a plaque they will be an exact duplicate of the original plaque.

The VIN number of this salvaged car does indeed come back to a Shelby GT. The registry has been updated with the salvaged title and the knock off CSM plaques.

And what is Jer doing at the things remembered kiosk?

Steve

And what is Jer doing at the things remembered kiosk?

wink.gif

Jer

At a quick glance:

PRO: Dash plaque, hood scoop.

CON: Wrong side stripes, front fascia, PBF badges, hood pins (even their location looks wrong).

Jer

Edited by Jer

+1 on the list.

I was going to mention the hood pins too.

They looked too close to the stripes by an inch or so.

If that is so then the hood is also new.

Different headlights. Nice looking rims....

What am I missing on the PBF emblem?

CC

It's not the right one for an SGT.

That's the "older" style, as used on Cobras. And those can be bought anywhere.

Jer

He was parked with all the Shelby GT's so it was very easy to see the differences.

they probly regitsered as a SGT the show dosnt verify if its a fake . and its not even a goog fake . i hope the owner didnt get takin by some car salesman

JIM