TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend 2015 Mustang IRS? See page 2 for Gt500 speculation

m81mclaren

Actually a very ordinary Mustang "made it over to Europe" in 1964, and did a pretty good job of

until it suffered a "double blowout". Looks like tires are still the weak point where Mustangs are concerned. On the other hand, at least by 1971 Ford introduced the TWPP (Two Wheels Performance Package) :hysterical:

LOL! Since when does a car have to cost 90 large to be equiped with an IRS. Paid 29K for an '03 Cobra brand new and it had one.

Hit it with a 550HP launch and see what happens to it. The GT500 will require an expensive IRS. I've seen terminator half shafts eject at 400RW.

Hit it with a 550HP launch and see what happens to it. The GT500 will require an expensive IRS. I've seen terminator half shafts eject at 400RW.

Hit the stock IRS in my '03 Cobra with about 540HP on both the street and strip running high elevens more times than I can remember. I'd rather see a great muscle car like the GT500 continue with a solid axle and hopefully an improved suspension and support structure around it. Leave the IRS stuff for the Corvettes and Porsches.

Why? Dodge has IRS in the new 700bhp Viper. Ford engineering can't make it happen?

Of course they can. On and average their heavier and weaker and ours is so dominant, why change? Get a watts link and or coil overs.... This is a muscle car we don't want and IRS suspension, when were already pulling 1g+

LOL! Since when does a car have to cost 90 large to be equiped with an IRS. Paid 29K for an '03 Cobra brand new and it had one.

Are you nuts? Do you know how much it costs to equip an IRS set up that can handle 700-800 HP and 700-800 LB FT of tourqe? The reason I use these numbers is because thats what the stock 8.8 can easly live with. Yes Ford can do it, but for them to pass the cost on to us and then make a little would be too much. Again I will state, these are 55K cars. Case Closed!

Are you nuts? Do you know how much it costs to equip an IRS set up that can handle 700-800 HP and 700-800 LB FT of tourqe? The reason I use these numbers is because thats what the stock 8.8 can easly live with. Yes Ford can do it, but for them to pass the cost on to us and then make a little would be too much. Again I will state, these are 55K cars. Case Closed!

Yeah, I am a little bit nuts at times and no I don't know what it costs to develop an IRS. Why don't you tell us.

• 4 weeks later...

Ford made a very good IRS. It never made it to the Mustang or into production.(penny pinchers vetoed it as an option on the Mustang or for the GT350) It did show-up on the Cobra II 427 with more beef and the GT40 and the Mustang 1 concept car. It was nick named the T5. The FORD designer was Klaus Arning. IRS on the Mustang Cobra was not as good. BMW bought the rights to use the design, latter they changed it to a 5 link not to pay FORD anymore.

The ZL1 will have IRS and it is not going to be a 90k car. That car will be pushing about the same HP as the 2013 GT500.

Exactly, glad to see that someone else here can think objectively without the hate for anything GM.

Speedyman, Im sorry if I insulted or hurt your feelings calling you nuts. Now then, wait to see what happens when the first person tries to launch a ZL1 on slicks...broken half-shafts!!!!! Same situation as in the 03-04 cobras. To purchase a set of half-shafts/rear end setup that will handdle 700HP and slicks costs in the area of 5K depending on who you go with. Now I would rather have this setup but the fact that the Mustang with its archaic solid axle setup outperformes the Camaro was reason enough for Ford to leave it alone. (the V6 Mustang and 5.0 handle better than both the v6 and SS Camaro) I know I know, we have to wait and see if the ZL1 with all its high-tech electronics will turn this tide but I doubt it. If you can have a car with a solid axle that performes and oh by the way is proven to be stronger than why not use it? Yes a live axle is always better but at what cost? I dont have to worry about tearing up my rear-end like ZL1 owners will.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting tidbit

5.8 for GT500 http://www.torquenews.com/106/new-58l-v8-confirmed-2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500

Submitted by Patrick Rall on Thu, 10/06/2011 - 10:27

Since the 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 was introduced with 580 horsepower, rumors have been plentiful that the 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 would get a new motor to out-muscle the ZL1 with upwards of 600hp and while there are no specifications available, the new Ford-UAW contract has confirmed that the 2013 GT500 will indeed sport a new 5.8L V8 engine.

Archived