TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Life Indicator

tdreed1265

So after one year, 7,200 miles and two oil changes (each at 6 months) the oil life indicator has never moved off of 100%. The dealer checked things out and a replacement is on it's way.

I'm concerned as the dash evidently needs to be taken out. I've been told not to worry that the guy who does this is an "expert" and that any damage that might happen would be fixed. I'm sure that was said to make me not nervous, but should I be expecting damage?

I have a feeling that I will now inherit a rattling dash.....ugh.

So after one year, 7,200 miles and two oil changes (each at 6 months) the oil life indicator has never moved off of 100%. The dealer checked things out and a replacement is on it's way.

I'm concerned as the dash evidently needs to be taken out. I've been told not to worry that the guy who does this is an "expert" and that any damage that might happen would be fixed. I'm sure that was said to make me not nervous, but should I be expecting damage?

I have a feeling that I will now inherit a rattling dash.....ugh.

Well, after the last oil change at the dealer the oil indicator is now working. I have no idea why after one year it starts working. I can only surmise that whatever tests that were done to determine it was broken "woke" the system up. Dunno, but after 2 weeks the indicator is now at 95% where before it would never move off of 100%.

I'll continue to monitor it though the warranty period I guess.

Well, after the last oil change at the dealer the oil indicator is now working. I have no idea why after one year it starts working. I can only surmise that whatever tests that were done to determine it was broken "woke" the system up. Dunno, but after 2 weeks the indicator is now at 95% where before it would never move off of 100%.

I'll continue to monitor it though the warranty period I guess.

Check the manual for how to set and reset it. It is an idiot light that tracks miles and it doesn't actually know the condition of your oil.

I would make sure you read up on it and test it before telling them to take your dash apart.

• 4 months later...

Just an update on this. Ford ordered the part last year but I never had it installed. It would seem that the indicator was just never reset by the service department. After they mucked around with it to determine it was "bad" it then started working. I noticed it moving off of 100% soon after the dealer inspection and before the part arrived weeks later, so I never had to have the service done.

This is interesting to me also. Mine’s a daily driver and I change the oil and filter every 5K with Redline 5W50 and the FL-820. The manual calls for basically 7500 between changes. I’m getting ready to do my 4th oil change soon (20K) and up to this point each time I usually change it with 10 or 15% usage life still showing. However for some reason this time the “change oil” light illuminated at around the 3500 mile mark. I checked and the dipstick was normal and the oil itself looked good so I’ve continued to keep a close check on it and just reset the dash button each time I drive it.

I haven’t been doing any tracking or harsh type driving to accelerate the oil life but I noticed it came on shortly after our first cold spell last month. We had a couple of days in the 20’s at night but the days were in the 40’s so that’s the only thing I can attribute the earlier warning light than usual to, and I seriously doubt that was the reason.

Archived