TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New look - finished paint job

Here some pic's I repainted the Shelby first with silver pearl over stock factory paint and really didn't like the look under street lights looked like charcoal. So I stripped the body down to bare metal and started fresh this time Jet black with blue pearl over the black. The first time around I went heavy on the pearl which in turn made the car look blue in the day light which wasn't what I wanted. This time respraying the blue in the clear coat again even with a black stick checking the amount of blue. I sprayed the clear with 3 coats to make sure its the way I wanted it to look with my wife double checking since my eye's blurr out at close range.

I wanted just enough pearl so the car looks black in low light and of course at night then pop when a bright light hits it and that section becomes blue. I painted the new hood and painted on the stripes and went wider on them also new whaletail spoiler. Also new rims that are deep dish and used a larger lettering for the trunk also new lower quarter panel scoops along with door interior panel dyed in center grey to match seats. post-18733-0-19228900-1313936149_thumb.jpg

post-18733-0-30516500-1313936225_thumb.jpg

post-18733-0-19228900-1313936149_thumb.jpg

post-18733-0-30516500-1313936225_thumb.jpg

Congrats Racer, looks like it turned out nice. I've said it before, but you have some massive huevos!

Thanks Bud !!! But as far as Huevos the wife took care of that they hang from her tow hitch after the 3x not liking the way the paint color. I'm down to one credit card and she has that one linked to her phone so when its in use. The only problem as far as spraying is my nerve on my right side of my neck causes my right to spasm if held out to long. It caused me some runs but by the 3rd repaint I used short strokes and trust me not a good time to try use your left side.

Doing the stripes as far as taping it took the longest time, I measured at first chalked marks for the lines. But I found eyeballing it was much easier and straight. I showed my buddy my stripes at the body shop he was very impressed. Then, I told that they were sprayed with dupli-color aryclic enamel rattle can he didn't believe me. I should him the cans !!! I sprayed let it dry over night wet sanded it then sprayed the whole car with nason clear coat. So for about 6.00 a can 4x's got me my stripes and you will never tell it been on for over a month in the sun and rain in the A/C garage so far no problems. I was more curious in how it will hold up but have used rattle can to fix my rear bumper and a year went by with no problem and used rattle can clear over it.

I really wanted to do a candy or something crazy but didn't want to take away from the orginal look. But you never know if I get bored what could happen the wife wants me to do my 72 ford f100 in a candy. The truck has a long bed and I think it should look like when it came off the line. Maybe just some billet up grades but itching for a car to spray something flashy!!!

Sick ride I love that hood!

Thanks you !!! I bought from American muscle its made by Cervini's it cost more going that route but all the horror stories of damaged hoods. I had peace of mind with AM knowing if something happen it would be replaced quickly with no headaches. I going to buy hood vents from Cervini's they make for their hoods.

But you guys would have loved watching me drill the hole for the hood pins !!!! The wife was freaking she said aren't you going to measure or at least make a mark all I did was put some wet paint on the tip of the pins lowered the hood. Now you have you marks and if your off a bit those pin plates on the hood can hide a little error.

I may swap out the fenders for vented ones and going to make my own front splitter !!!

Not bad for someone on meds it just made it more fun !!! :sing_rain: But not good with dangerous equipment I had to cut my grass and been sick on my anitbotics in half of a daze. I got on my lawn tractor flying around the front yard. The grass was really high and I kept getting my foot wet and leg finally came to a stop andlooking at my tractor. I realized it wasn't water it was the gasoline from the tank. I forgot to put the cap back on how in the world I didn't set myself on fire or the tractor is just pure luck. I could smell the gas due my sinus infection. I could see my wife roll up and finding are 1800.00 tractor burnt to the ground that not insured. But me she has me insured to the balls Also learned never leave a equipment plugged in went repair the cord not a good thing !! :drool:

A lot of work... Looks great!

Thanks it was a labor of love just dealing with my wife complaints !!! My wife told me if your bored go back to work my 4yr old told my wife daddy has a job he breaks his cars and fixes it.

+1 great job on the car.

I'll add my cudos on the hood. It looks great.

Is it my eyes or just the angle that the picture was

taken but the snake looks to be crooked???

It looks like it is leaning backwards.

CC

+1 great job on the car.

I'll add my cudos on the hood. It looks great.

Is it my eyes or just the angle that the picture was

taken but the snake looks to be crooked???

It looks like it is leaning backwards.

CC

Thank you !! and you are correct but that is last to worry what really suxs is that until you wet sand and compound the paint you can't see all the flaws in the paint. So this week I will be wet sanding again till every flaw is corrected

With all the effort your putting in I'm sure it will turn out great.

And your right, it is not until you do the wet sanding that you catch all the

flaws. My '67 is stripped down to bare metal and I am not looking forward to

all the work with primer and endless sanding and then going through what

you are doing now... But as I'm sure you'll agree the results make it all

worth while. Keep us updated.

CC

With all the effort your putting in I'm sure it will turn out great.

And your right, it is not until you do the wet sanding that you catch all the

flaws. My '67 is stripped down to bare metal and I am not looking forward to

all the work with primer and endless sanding and then going through what

you are doing now... But as I'm sure you'll agree the results make it all

worth while. Keep us updated.

CC

I went out and bought a blocking kit that came with different sizes. the 12 inch made sanding easier and kept things straight but I hate wet sand it causes to much of a mess. When I sprayed the clear with the pearl 3x coats. Then did 3 more wet coats of clear coat so no worrys of sanding into the pearl. I have one spot on the roof a fly landed on my roof after the last coat of clear. I pulled the fly out it left 3 little dents that are deep and you tell from that how much clear is over the base.

To bad you live in CA I wouldn't mind doing the sanding.

I have one spot on the roof a fly landed on my roof after the last coat of clear. I pulled the fly out it left 3 little dents that are deep and you tell from that how much clear is over the base.

To bad you live in CA I wouldn't mind doing the sanding.

Thanks for the offer. An extra pair of hands and eyes would be helpful.

Once I get all the body panels back on I'm sure I can get some help from friends.

I'll just say BBQ and ta-da they will be here :yahoo:

Looking forward to seeing the final results.

CC

Thanks for the offer. An extra pair of hands and eyes would be helpful.

Once I get all the body panels back on I'm sure I can get some help from friends.

I'll just say BBQ and ta-da they will be here :yahoo:

Looking forward to seeing the final results.

CC

I'm to anal when doing certain things plus my friends won't even change a tire. I'm hoping of finding an Amc Amx thats not to ratty to restore its hard to find one in between decent and rust bucket. The price of these cars go up due the lack of them around, I been upstate for a couple of years and hit about every car show and only found 2 in a show. The second sighting was recent and he was there trying to sell it. He wanted 20 grand for it but either way I don't want someone else's restored car. But good luck with yours I'm wet sanding the driverside down again I'm going 1000 to 3000 wet sand with sander then in between each go over it with a block match each grit so no missing anything. so far just the door took me 2 hours. Then with my glasses on go over it for any flaws it beats going to work :hysterical:

Awesome Look! Thanks for posting. You are a funny guy in your posts about your family...had me laughing...GREAT job man!

Those wheels hood and paint look pretty mean!

Thanks !!! The family stuff is all true My 4 yr old came outside today, I was wet sanding the car my kid tells me. I know your so busy at your job (meaning my car) but do you think you can find some time to wash my chairs. You never know when my friends might pop in. Me and mom are running errands so try and get it cleaned !!

As far as the new set up a lot of cars guys tell me I should start a business like an interior designer. I always find nice ways of making a car stand out or truck the better it looks the more money you get on the sale. That's why I always laugh when I buy a house for cheap the owners have no idea how to make a house look nicer than it is with a little painting. The last house I bought the owners were desperate to sell they couldn't get a buyer. Do you think the pink ceiling in the hall way and the all dark brown dining room may be a turn off. I bought it for 195,000 sold it 4yrs later for 349,000. All it took was so good paint colors and some new bling for a total of 4 grand got me 349,000. I do the same when my friends what to sell their car clean the car up inside and out nice coat of wax. Then tint the glass by some plastic chrome door pins and anything else clean the door jams and under the hood with a little work you can get 1,000.00 more for the car even find nice cheap rims or fake hub caps always work. I did the hub caps on my father maxima my parents didn't belive it was their car.

Car looks great Ant! Cant wait to see it!

Thanks Mike, I should be in the your area my mother is out of Kessler and stay with my sister in Montclair. I'm sure you had a great time at the cruise !!!! While I danced in the rain :sing_rain:

Thanks Mike, I should be in the your area my mother is out of Kessler and stay with my sister in Montclair. I'm sure you had a great time at the cruise !!!! While I danced in the rain :sing_rain:

Mike,

Keep me in mind for the next cruise, I am in Middletown NY. Do you go to the Saturday night Orange County Mustang meets in Middletown? See you around some time.

All my best...jason

Mike,

Keep me in mind for the next cruise, I am in Middletown NY. Do you go to the Saturday night Orange County Mustang meets in Middletown? See you around some time.

All my best...jason

I used to live in Goshen, NY

Only fun was dirt track raceing.

I like to cruise up to new paltz into the mountains

We did alot of drinking in those mountains, small town bars, those were the young and restless days

Did you paint the side stripes also? if so, how did the SHELBY GT lettering come out

The stripes are painted on the lettering is vinyl for now. I had no patience at this time to do it buffing the car alone to took every bit of energy. My health isn't the good been sick going on month. When I'm sick my temper is short real short like yesterday my neighbors aunt is 87yrs old she is in great shape for her age. But the bi-- should not be driving there driveway is behind my backyard. The yard is gated wood post with steel fencing we made a huge sand island for my kid the old lady back down the driveway. She lost control crashed threw there huge line of christmas tree's which slowed her down when her car hit my fence. If those tree's were not there she would have crashed thru the fence thank she was past the sand island and my kid was inside along with the dogs. If she did crash thru and my german sheperd was outside she be dead by dog even worse if my kid was outside that german killer would see a threat to my kid and their would be no mercy. I had no compassion for her !! I told for what you pay for insurance alone you can have a limo drive you around there should me an age limit for the eldery. I tried to have my father driver license revoked but NYS said no to that but convinced my father if he is going out to shop with my mom. I would drive them around. He would sit with my mom in the back seat and barks orders at me.

Archived