TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Close encounters of the odd kind

thewheelman

This has really been a strange/fun week. The temp has cooled a bit here in Ketucky and makes for much more pleasant evening cruising. I guess everyone is feeling a litte frisky.........A few nights ago wife and I were coming through town and just past an intersection on the 4-lane bypass when a car really jumped up on my rear bumper and stayed there. We cleared some traffic and he immediately cut to the right lane and pulled along side. It was a white Saleen--that's all i could tell, but he stayed along side until the next intersection, gunning it and backing off. "He wants to race, doesn't he?" my wife said and I said yeah. We pulled up to the red light and she said, "What are you going to do?" I told her I didn't know just yet, but when the light turned green, he jumped on it with a good deal of tire squallling. I answered in kind and by the time I reached for 3rd we were done. It wasn't really a drag race, just two guys flexing their muscle(car)s. I've seen it one other time in town. Older fella, like me, just having fun.

Followed that up with a daytime encounter, late one afternoon I was coming back into town from a trip down to Clarksville, TN when a black Audi sport wagon or something and a yellow Mazda wagon thing came blasting by me like I was sitting still. The Audi was all decked out with huge wheels, blacked out windows and the grill emblem removed, the Mazda said "Zoom, Zoom" on the back window. About 1/2 a mile down the road they were creeping, I slowed down a bit and then passed. They both came blasting by again and slowed down. And again.......Third time is charm, they were rolling, maybe 45-50, so I banged it down a couple of gears and waved bye-bye. They didn't catch up until I got to my exit. The next afternoon, I noticed the Audi lives just around the corner from me. Looks like a GI from Ft. Campbell, gave me the thumbs up when I went past his driveway. Anybody old enough to remember "Howdy Doody Time"?

Then there's the GTO. There's a couple in town--a red one that a very nice blond lady drives--kind of like my wife driving the GT 500 to school and she's not interested in anything but a smile and a wave. But, there's a black one in town also, that sounds like somebody cut the exhaust off with a hack saw and slapped some old-fashion cherry bomb glass packs on it. Really nasty sound (and I mean that in a negative way). He's always gunning it in traffic and the noise is really annoying. I mean, it's not a tuned sound, it's just noise. I saw him pull out about a half mile ahead of me on the aforementioned bypass and it appeared that my traffic was moving faster than he was so I just eased up on him, slipping into line on his bumper when the light ahead turned yellow. I got a little break and jumped into the right lane. I'm not usually the aggressor, but I just couldn't resist. I never looked at him but tapped the throttle a couple of times while waiting out the light. It went green and I dumped the clutch (I'm lousy off the line, never got the knack of balancing tire spin with feathering the clutch), bogged it and he got me across the intersection, but that was about as far as he got me. I was even by 2nd and pulling away by third. He didn't stay with me for even a 1/4 of a mile. When I cleared him and drove away, he shut it down and pulled into the right lane. I grinned all the way home!

Finally, this morning, I drove it out to a customer's house. It was obvious that english was not their first language, but I looked at the work to be done and gave them an estimate and they walked me to the door. As I started out he spotted my car in the driveway and went nuts. He was jabbering to her non-stop and grinning and pointing and she was doing the same. I really believe he was in his underwear, I didn't want to look too hard, but he came out into the driveway and looked and pointed and jabbered some more. She finally turned to me and said, "He likes your car very much." I showed him under the hood and I have no idea how she interpreted what I said but he seemed suitably impressed and thanked me over and over for showing it to him. Horsepower knows no language barriers.........

Thanks for letting me ramble on. It's been a while since I had such close encournters......maybe I'll have some more!

Thanks for the story! My wife is like yours while driving the GT500 a smile and a wave :shift: I am currently out of the country :salute: and she has been taking it out to keep the battery from dying and to let out some aggression. :peelout: She has mentioned a few times she was approached by a vette and a few 5.0 stangs. She just smiles and waves and let’s them tear off alone it’s great :burnout: . I can’t wait to get back in the seat :peelout:

This has really been a strange/fun week. The temp has cooled a bit here in Ketucky and makes for much more pleasant evening cruising. I guess everyone is feeling a litte frisky.........A few nights ago wife and I were coming through town and just past an intersection on the 4-lane bypass when a car really jumped up on my rear bumper and stayed there. We cleared some traffic and he immediately cut to the right lane and pulled along side. It was a white Saleen--that's all i could tell, but he stayed along side until the next intersection, gunning it and backing off. "He wants to race, doesn't he?" my wife said and I said yeah. We pulled up to the red light and she said, "What are you going to do?" I told her I didn't know just yet, but when the light turned green, he jumped on it with a good deal of tire squallling. I answered in kind and by the time I reached for 3rd we were done. It wasn't really a drag race, just two guys flexing their muscle(car)s. I've seen it one other time in town. Older fella, like me, just having fun.

Followed that up with a daytime encounter, late one afternoon I was coming back into town from a trip down to Clarksville, TN when a black Audi sport wagon or something and a yellow Mazda wagon thing came blasting by me like I was sitting still. The Audi was all decked out with huge wheels, blacked out windows and the grill emblem removed, the Mazda said "Zoom, Zoom" on the back window. About 1/2 a mile down the road they were creeping, I slowed down a bit and then passed. They both came blasting by again and slowed down. And again.......Third time is charm, they were rolling, maybe 45-50, so I banged it down a couple of gears and waved bye-bye. They didn't catch up until I got to my exit. The next afternoon, I noticed the Audi lives just around the corner from me. Looks like a GI from Ft. Campbell, gave me the thumbs up when I went past his driveway. Anybody old enough to remember "Howdy Doody Time"?

Then there's the GTO. There's a couple in town--a red one that a very nice blond lady drives--kind of like my wife driving the GT 500 to school and she's not interested in anything but a smile and a wave. But, there's a black one in town also, that sounds like somebody cut the exhaust off with a hack saw and slapped some old-fashion cherry bomb glass packs on it. Really nasty sound (and I mean that in a negative way). He's always gunning it in traffic and the noise is really annoying. I mean, it's not a tuned sound, it's just noise. I saw him pull out about a half mile ahead of me on the aforementioned bypass and it appeared that my traffic was moving faster than he was so I just eased up on him, slipping into line on his bumper when the light ahead turned yellow. I got a little break and jumped into the right lane. I'm not usually the aggressor, but I just couldn't resist. I never looked at him but tapped the throttle a couple of times while waiting out the light. It went green and I dumped the clutch (I'm lousy off the line, never got the knack of balancing tire spin with feathering the clutch), bogged it and he got me across the intersection, but that was about as far as he got me. I was even by 2nd and pulling away by third. He didn't stay with me for even a 1/4 of a mile. When I cleared him and drove away, he shut it down and pulled into the right lane. I grinned all the way home!

Finally, this morning, I drove it out to a customer's house. It was obvious that english was not their first language, but I looked at the work to be done and gave them an estimate and they walked me to the door. As I started out he spotted my car in the driveway and went nuts. He was jabbering to her non-stop and grinning and pointing and she was doing the same. I really believe he was in his underwear, I didn't want to look too hard, but he came out into the driveway and looked and pointed and jabbered some more. She finally turned to me and said, "He likes your car very much." I showed him under the hood and I have no idea how she interpreted what I said but he seemed suitably impressed and thanked me over and over for showing it to him. Horsepower knows no language barriers.........

Thanks for letting me ramble on. It's been a while since I had such close encournters......maybe I'll have some more!

Mate, those are some great stories.

Great stories......love to hear them.

Real simple story. Took the KR out to get some gas the other day. Guy walks past, pauses, and says: "Man, that's a beautiful car". I told him "Thanks"

Went to get lunch at the Italian pork store. As I was backing in at the far end of the lot, a worker from a pizzeria next door came out to see what the noise was all about. As I got out of the car, he went back in the pizzeria. I go to the pork store and get my goods, head out to my car and there are two guys standing near the car looking at it. As I walk closer, one guy asks me: "Hey, what's the difference between a GT-500 and GT-500KR?" I then go into the differences and blah, blah, blah. Both guys loved the car and one of them is thinking of pulling the trigger on a new GT-500. I told him to go for it.

Great stories....

I had one encounter with a GTO. I'm usually very calm in my car around other cars, but these kids kept on and on, so finally I minded my own business and left town on a rarely used highway, they followed and it wasn't pretty, not even close...I came back in town and rolled up to a parking lot a bunch of us were at and a couple minutes later they rolled up and came over, the passenger was still laughing at his friend and telling him, I told you so. The kid came up and was very nice and could tell was completely surprised. He told me he had raced a GT500 a couple of times and beat him with no problems and can't understand what the problems were. I just smiled and told him he needed to learn his food chain and what not take on. About that time the GT500 that he had talked about beating rolled up and a high school kid got out and came over. He shook my hand and asked to look at my car and told me how beautiful is was. The other kids wandered back over and the passenger begins to tell the kid in the GT500 what a spanking the GTO got. He smiled and said it was about time. When the GTO driver came back over I told him I understand the confusion.

The kid with the GT500 had what I call a GT499, he had a badged, wheeled and striped GT, but a GT nonetheless. And the kid in the GTO thought he had beaten a real GT500. I laughed and put my arm around the kid with the GT499 and told him, he can cruise with us anytime, pickens are easy when he was around. Everyone had a good laugh.

Archived