TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Preproduction Model

mhermenitt

Has anyone heard of a Shelby GT500 preproduction model?

I just bought a 2007 Shelby GT500 and found out the build number is #9PP.

Does anyone else have or know someone with a preproduction model?

mhermenitt, Welcome to Team Shelby. Glad you found us.

If you would like to email the Shelby American Registry with your VIN number I'll be glad to look into where your GT500 falls in the production run of 2007 GT500's. My Shelby American email address is in my signature line below.

And congrats on your Shelby purchase.

Steve

Has anyone heard of a Shelby GT500 preproduction model?

I just bought a 2007 Shelby GT500 and found out the build number is #9PP.

Does anyone else have or know someone with a preproduction model?

Welcome to TS, cool about your 500 being an early car!

Make sure you get registered with SAI, and post up some pix in the GT500 arrival forum

The OP did contact us and I've emailed him back with some info that I thought others might enjoy.

There were 14 Pre-production 2007 Shelby GT500 cars. Pre-production cars #1 to #6 were built in January of 2006. Pre-production cars #7 to #14 were built in February of 2006. Regualar GT500 production started in April of 2006.

Out of the 14 pre-production cars 7 of them were painted Tungsten like the OP's car.

Steve

The OP did contact us and I've emailed him back with some info that I thought others might enjoy.

There were 14 Pre-production 2007 Shelby GT500 cars. Pre-production cars #1 to #6 were built in January of 2006. Pre-production cars #7 to #14 were built in February of 2006. Regualar GT500 production started in April of 2006.

Out of the 14 pre-production cars 7 of them were painted Tungsten like the OP's car.

Steve

Cool info! Would this increase the value of his GT500 perhaps in the future?

Cool info! Would this increase the value of his GT500 perhaps in the future?

Hard to say but if you have two equals cars for sale with one being a pre-production car and the other being the 7,123 car built I'd guess the majority of people would buy the PP car. Now how much mor they would be willing to pay, well only the market would know for sure.

Steve

Steve

Huh!

And what was the reasoning behind that?

To test the waters?

To give the public a small taste so they would want more?

For Magazine, car show or display cars???

Just wondering,

Phill

Huh!

And what was the reasoning behind that?

To test the waters?

To give the public a small taste so they would want more?

For Magazine, car show or display cars???

Just wondering,

Phill

Pre-production cars also known as Pilot cars are usually used for testing out assmbly line techniques that also let the line workers get familiar with new tasks they may not have performed previously. Pre-production cars usually also have a few miles on them from quality control testing. Once the line is up & running the automakers normally repair any deficiencies and off to market they go.

Steve

Pre-production cars also known as Pilot cars are usually used for testing out assmbly line techniques that also let the line workers get familiar with new tasks they may not have performed previously.

Ah, okay, I've seen that in a video about when they first started making the GT500's.

The SVT team went out onto the production line floor and watched them at the point where they pull a Mustang from the regular production line and start making it into a GT500 (basicall, from the A-pillar forward).

They discovered some small problems in production such as at the point where they raise the engine & cradle up into the chassis, then had them change their technique slightly to streamline the process.

I don't remember where I saw the vidieo at but it was pretty much exactly what you're saying.

Thanks,

Phill

Ah, okay, I've seen that in a video about when they first started making the GT500's.

The SVT team went out onto the production line floor and watched them at the point where they pull a Mustang from the regular production line and start making it into a GT500 (basicall, from the A-pillar forward).

They discovered some small problems in production such as at the point where they raise the engine & cradle up into the chassis, then had them change their technique slightly to streamline the process.

I don't remember where I saw the vidieo at but it was pretty much exactly what you're saying.

Thanks,

Phill

If you locate the video, please share :) I'm sure most of us would love to see it.

Steve

I guess I'm confused as my car was built on 5/12/06 and Ford info to the dealer clearly states "Designated as a pre-production unit". That's from the Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement DORA report.

Steve

Hi Everyone,

Steve that is great info on there being 14 in the PP run. Thanks for finding that out as I always wondered how many there were. It would also be nice to know how many of those 14 are still running as I heard that some of the PP GT500's were destroyed in testing but that might not be true?

Something else I have been curious about... Mine is SVT#12 in that PP run (this is assuming that SVT#12 is the same as PP#12) and had 50k miles on it when I purchased it. It now has 100k+ miles on it!

I would really like to know what the SVT# is for Ron Pratts GT500 offical production car #1 whose vin # ends in 001? Is it SVT#15?

msbmustang54 / Mark

Hi Everyone,

Steve that is great info on there being 14 in the PP run. Thanks for finding that out as I always wondered how many there were. It would also be nice to know how many of those 14 are still running as I heard that some of the PP GT500's were destroyed in testing but that might not be true?

Something else I have been curious about... Mine is SVT#12 in that PP run (this is assuming that SVT#12 is the same as PP#12) and had 50k miles on it when I purchased it. It now has 100k+ miles on it!

I would really like to know what the SVT# is for Ron Pratts GT500 offical production car #1 whose vin # ends in 001? Is it SVT#15?

msbmustang54 / Mark

I entered my earlier log on and should have used this one as it has all the info on my GT500 #12 in it

Mark

Hi Everyone,

msbmustang54 / Mark

PP12 is a Tungsten car but I would need your VIN number to confirm its the same car.

Because of privacy issues I'm unable to confirm anything regarding what number may or may not belong to Mr. Pratt.

Steve

And it looks like Mark will have to change his signature line now that car number 9PP has surfaced. Perhaps I should search the registry for cars 1PP thru 8PP to see if anyone has registered anyone of those with us.

Steve

Cool beans....keep us updated Steve, this is fun stuff

Cool beans....keep us updated Steve, this is fun stuff

Steve,

I will change my signature when our new member mhermenitt (Welcome!!!) posts his SVT Cert. Mine was posted on this/our form here ...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46124-who-has-a-svt-gt500-%23-less-than-12/page__p__763023__hl__%2Bmsbmustang+%2Bsvt+%2Bcertificate__fromsearch__1#entry763023 (Is there a better way to reference a previous post?)

Steve, This should also confirm that mine is also #12 in the production order as well as being SVT#12. (I was told that the SVT# is the production order # which is why the SVT# for Mr. Pratt's 1st offical GT500 (vin#...001) should be higher that SVT#14? I need to search the web and find out were it was that I saw the vin # for the first GT500 that ended in ...001?)

Since I just hit 100k miles I am curious how many miles mhermenitt has on his PP GT500?

mark / msbmustang (54)

Steve,

I will change my signature when our new member mhermenitt (Welcome!!!) posts his SVT Cert. Mine was posted on this/our form here ...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/46124-who-has-a-svt-gt500-%23-less-than-12/page__p__763023__hl__%2Bmsbmustang+%2Bsvt+%2Bcertificate__fromsearch__1#entry763023 (Is there a better way to reference a previous post?)

Steve, This should also confirm that mine is also #12 in the production order as well as being SVT#12. (I was told that the SVT# is the production order # which is why the SVT# for Mr. Pratt's 1st offical GT500 (vin#...001) should be higher that SVT#14? I need to search the web and find out were it was that I saw the vin # for the first GT500 that ended in ...001?)

Since I just hit 100k miles I am curious how many miles mhermenitt has on his PP GT500?

mark / msbmustang (54)

where do you need me to posted it at i just got it in

here you gopost-34032-0-70022400-1314382928_thumb.jpgpost-34032-0-32714800-1314383125_thumb.jpg

mhermenitt,

I just changed my on screen signature! You are now #1! Congrats on your PP#9 GT500.

You can see from my attached cert that your build date and vin number come before mine. Our VIN's however are different in the middle as yours is S975...and mine is SX75...? Maybe Cali_KR can explain this difference.

I was told, when I called SVT Ford back in 07, that mine was a PP car but I guess it was not? I do know though that the dealer that purchased it got it at an auction directly from the Ford testing grounds in MI.

How many miles on yours? Also your hood looks different? (Might just be the camera angle though.)

Lastly did yours get the Clutch Transmission TSB done? (Grabber what was that TSB#?)

Best Regards,

Mark / MSB Mustang 54

mhermenitt,

I just changed my on screen signature! You are now #1! Congrats on your PP#9 GT500.

You can see from my attached cert that your build date and vin number come before mine. Our VIN's however are different in the middle as yours is S975...and mine is SX75...? Maybe Cali_KR can explain this difference.

I was told, when I called SVT Ford back in 07, that mine was a PP car but I guess it was not? I do know though that the dealer that purchased it got it at an auction directly from the Ford testing grounds in MI.

How many miles on yours? Also your hood looks different? (Might just be the camera angle though.)

Lastly did yours get the Clutch Transmission TSB done? (Grabber what was that TSB#?)

Best Regards,

Mark / MSB Mustang 54

forgot to attach the pic of my cert

post-8918-0-43312800-1314390754_thumb.jpg

post-8918-0-43312800-1314390754_thumb.jpg

Ok, so April 06 is pre-production, Mine was built less than a month later, the 19th convertible and is a pre-production car. When did regular production begin? The dealer that I bought my car from had the list of the first run of pre-production convertibles, tracked down each one and determined that the one I bought has the lowest vin of any gt 500 convertible......

mhermenitt,

Best Regards,

Mark / MSB Mustang 54

The 9th digit of the VIN number is a check digit that when used along with a math equation will determine if a VIN number is legit.

Steve

Ok, so April 06 is pre-production, Mine was built less than a month later, the 19th convertible and is a pre-production car. When did regular production begin? The dealer that I bought my car from had the list of the first run of pre-production convertibles, tracked down each one and determined that the one I bought has the lowest vin of any gt 500 convertible......

Hal

I'm not sure I'm understanding how your car is a "certified pre-production unit" as the factory build records don't support that. Is this what the selling dealer told you?

Your VIN number comes back to a regular production GT500, although it is one of the first production cars. Regular GT500 production started on the first week of April 2006, your car was build in the second week of May so that rules out it being a PP car.

According to my count your GT500 was the 17th regular production GT500 vert to roll off the line, this is not counting the PP cars.

I should mention that you're always going to get different "your car was number XX off the line" answers depending on what build list is being used for the data. The list I'm using is for all GT500's which includes export models. Ford's SVT certificates perhaps are using the list for U.S. production cars only, let me repeat that I do not know what list Ford/SVT is using. Then you have to consider if the PP cars are included or not in that number. I'm not using the PP cars in my calculations.

I don't want to say your dealer lied to you but as mentioned there were 16 regular procuction verts built before your car was built.

Steve

I'm wondering if these early cars could still be 475hp units like the early prototypes?

Reason I ask is, that I was invited to the Ford media tour in April 2006 (I'll have to go back to see actual date), during it's NorCal stop. Ford Motor Co. put myself and my family up (all expenses paid) at the Claremont Resort in Berkeley CA, there we spent the weekend with automotive journalists and the entire SVT team of engineers including SVT boss Hua Thai- Tang (who also designed the S197)

I was given the privilege of driving one of the cars that weekend which was a 475HP Tungsten 'vert. And it was at that event that it was first revealed that the cars HP would match the name of the car. The car that I drove as well as the other 5 Ford brought along were all destined for the recycling bin....I was told this by more than one of the Ford folks in attendance.

Which brings me back to my question, With the announcement made regarding the bump in HP, clearly the decision was made early, but only then released, and as this was around the 10th of April, the production units would be 500hp.

Interesting timeline though....

Tom

mhermenitt,

Best Regards,

Mark / MSB Mustang 54

my car has 45,000

the hood is the same

i dont know if TSB has been done

I'm wondering if these early cars could still be 475hp units like the early prototypes?

Reason I ask is, that I was invited to the Ford media tour in April 2006 (I'll have to go back to see actual date), during it's NorCal stop. Ford Motor Co. put myself and my family up (all expenses paid) at the Claremont Resort in Berkeley CA, there we spent the weekend with automotive journalists and the entire SVT team of engineers including SVT boss Hua Thai- Tang (who also designed the S197)

I was given the privilege of driving one of the cars that weekend which was a 475HP Tungsten 'vert. And it was at that event that it was first revealed that the cars HP would match the name of the car. The car that I drove as well as the other 5 Ford brought along were all destined for the recycling bin....I was told this by more than one of the Ford folks in attendance.

Which brings me back to my question, With the announcement made regarding the bump in HP, clearly the decision was made early, but only then released, and as this was around the 10th of April, the production units would be 500hp.

Interesting timeline though....

Tom

I would like to know about the hp #

my car put down low hp # with 2.6 pully and bbk coldair kit . At the wheels it was 470hp and 475 torq

that was with the car at running temp

Archived