TEAM SHELBY FORUM

In car video from Norcal SAAC Mini-Nats

MMcGuirk

I want this for my iPhone as well. Where do I buy the mounting system? Do I need a specific app or can I simply use the standard video app on my iPhone?

The app is TrackPro, ($29.99) plus the TrackPro upgrade($9.99) and you need the iPhone 4.

The mount is a TomTom iPhone 4 mount with suction cup. Best Buy has them, besides the usual online retailers, Amazon etc.

You can see my vid in the GT500KR video section in top of fourm

Nice video McGurk but you took the wrong car

Great Video!

This year was dad's 75th B-day so I was in South Shore. Next year I'm gonna make him be my mechanic at Sears Point!

Anyone interested in an iPhone app should also consider Harry's Lap Timer. I don't have it yet, but I have heard nothing but great things about it. It'll overlay a bunch of info onto the video and if you get a wireless OBD-II connector (a bunch available on ebay) you can get RPM's, speed, G forces, etc. http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Andy

Nice video McGurk but you took the wrong car

Depends on your point of view...the Limer is actually a better track car!

The 350 will be at Sear's Point 9/14 and I will take more video just for you Art.

Great Video!

This year was dad's 75th B-day so I was in South Shore. Next year I'm gonna make him be my mechanic at Sears Point!

Anyone interested in an iPhone app should also consider Harry's Lap Timer. I don't have it yet, but I have heard nothing but great things about it. It'll overlay a bunch of info onto the video and if you get a wireless OBD-II connector (a bunch available on ebay) you can get RPM's, speed, G forces, etc. http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Andy

Re: Harry's Laptimer, it does have some cool graphics like the telemetry you'd see on TV when wacthing the races. Doug (Wingrider) has it, but according to him, there are still some bugs that need to be worked out

Which run group was that?

You are giving up a lot by not hitting the apexes consistently.

I ran this car in the green group. My lap times were 2.1 to 2.15 minutes in traffic.

Thanks for the critique, I am just learning.

Next time, you could join us and show me the line.

20I am dying to see the car Mike are you going to the show at the church on Saturday I will be there already sent in my reg.

Art, I am spending the weekend with Charlie, Cali KR and Torch 40 in Monterey for the historics and the auctions.

• 3 weeks later...

Your welcome MM, but it was Wingrider who gave me the heads up on the app and mount......., so tip 'o the cap to DW

Sorry guys, been traveling a lot for work and just now catching up on the forum.

Yes the TrackPro SW is pretty good for a few reasons- it shoots arguably pretty dang good HD. Second, with the now seemingly hard to find Tom Tom iPhone GPS mount, it does a very good job with timing accuracy and how it treats the data files. you can go to a specific lap to review the time sort of like chapter tracks on a DVD. Third, it records in a continuous session from a 20mph start to 1 minute after stopping- all on its own. Oh and it shoots high quality as a setting and you just offload them to your computer and edit to your hearts content.

The only down sides I've seen so far is it can be finicky if you have other apps running at the same time or you get a bunch of texts that may confuse it. You can kick into airplane mode and that's sorted out tho. The missing piece is telemetry for things like G's and snazzy stuff you see on "Harry's Lap Timer Pro" with gear and speed overlaid. I reply to another comment that brought that app up.

Glad you're digging the app guys, I like it.

Re: Harry's Laptimer, it does have some cool graphics like the telemetry you'd see on TV when wacthing the races. Doug (Wingrider) has it, but according to him, there are still some bugs that need to be worked out

There was also a previous comment from "Fat Boss" suggesting "Harry's..." so here are my thoughts on the app.- Close, but no cigar yet.

First- The guys who make the Kiwi WiFI ODBII unit didn't even know about Harry's until I was over at there place talking to them as their office is near my home. They seem to be tight with the folks who do the "REV" app but they don't do video. That's a problem because there are communication hiccups that are known and discussed in Harry's own forums about dropping connections. (if you don't know the Kiwi has a wireless "WiFi" dongle that your iPhone connects to just like at Starbucks, but the app only draws car data out of it). I'm a pretty clever guy and both the Kiwi guys and I made *sure* it was set properly and it still dropped connection with the iPhone during track sessions with the unit no more than about 18" away. That's frustrating if you really want to use it for more than just cool overlay video to show your pals. Because-

Second- Harry's doesn't record a full session. It seems to record a lap, then grind away during the next lap storing video and telemetry data into the photo directory then back to recording the lap *after* that. That means if it doesn't drop signal, it's recording every other lap and not a continuous session of 12-25 minutes like TrackPro. So that means if it drops signal on the lap it was recording vs processing, you're out of anything for at least 2-3 laps. I had that happen twice. I guess some of the telemetry data might be there, but the whole idea is to easily stuff their data onto their video and download it to watch.

Third- The video it does record isn't nearly as good as TrackPro. It's as if it's not even HD. Now they do say you can overlay their data with external video and the thought crossed my mind to try and fuse them together, but it's a lot of wasted work in my opinion because you're going to have to figure out all the session data to match it up to other video and then have TWO things running, data and a recorder. I guess some can do that with a Go Pro and the iPhone, but in my case I have an iPhone 4 that shoots with TrackPro, and I have an old iPhone 3GS that I hang out the back that I've tinkered with also running Harry's, but gave up trying to patch the 2 sets of data together.

I do confess it's nice to be able to see water temp via Harry's so I miss not having that easily available. That's what I'll probably keep using the 3GS for.

What I do is record the first session of the day with Harry's so I have something with telemetry to show for that track day, then I shift back to TrackPro for the rest of the day. That first session is just to get the hang of the track and get settled in anyway so if Harry's misses recording a cold tire lap, no biggie. Then old Trusty TrackPro is there for the rest of my sessions.

Is it cool to have the telemetry overlay and all that? Heck yes. I wish TrackPro added it and I've asked them to but this is a lot of work for a niche product. I'm hopeful to get the Kiwi guys working more with Harry's and they are into my helping them since I'm close by so more as I know it.

As always YMMV and other points of view on the sw always welcome.

-Wingrider

Archived