TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Want to install aftermarket nav system

Has anyone installed an aftermarket nav system? I have an '07 SGT.

It originally came with the Shaker 1000, but I've removed the sub, amps, & mounting brackets in the trunk and stashed that 55 lb mass of stuff in the basement with the rest of the factory SGT parts. Didn't want all that extra weight on the car.

So do I now technically have a Shaker 500, or just some sort of basic stereo? I want to pull the Shaker 1000 head unit and install an aftermarket NAV unit, and am looking to do a nice, simple plug-n-play. Just thought I'd do a little research before contacting a stereo vendor so that I might have a little bit of knowledge of what I need, in case they don't quite know.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket nav system? I have an '07 SGT.

It originally came with the Shaker 1000, but I've removed the sub, amps, & mounting brackets in the trunk and stashed that 55 lb mass of stuff in the basement with the rest of the factory SGT parts. Didn't want all that extra weight on the car.

So do I now technically have a Shaker 500, or just some sort of basic stereo? I want to pull the Shaker 1000 head unit and install an aftermarket NAV unit, and am looking to do a nice, simple plug-n-play. Just thought I'd do a little research before contacting a stereo vendor so that I might have a little bit of knowledge of what I need, in case they don't quite know.

Trying to do same thing as my Shaker 500 unit took a swan dive and killed itself. Here is the B.S. part from day 1 I had issues with the battery dying and had the car at the dealer 3 times in 2 different states to see what the electrical draw on the battery was and none of them found anything. 3 batteries later still was doing same thing and a performance shop actually found the problem and it was the radio head until but not no more warranty and I knew this was the problem from the beginning and the issue even goes back to when car was at SAI and I bet they replaced my battery as FORD dealer says this battery came in a GT500 and obviously I have a Shelby GT. Now to find out these head units are like 3 times more expensive than say a Kenwood or Pioneer

Trying to do same thing as my Shaker 500 unit took a swan dive and killed itself. Here is the B.S. part from day 1 I had issues with the battery dying and had the car at the dealer 3 times in 2 different states to see what the electrical draw on the battery was and none of them found anything. 3 batteries later still was doing same thing and a performance shop actually found the problem and it was the radio head until but not no more warranty and I knew this was the problem from the beginning and the issue even goes back to when car was at SAI and I bet they replaced my battery as FORD dealer says this battery came in a GT500 and obviously I have a Shelby GT. Now to find out these head units are like 3 times more expensive than say a Kenwood or Pioneer

I have a Pioneer AVIC Z2 in my 2008 SGT. Love it! You can post photo to the boot up splash screen, much like a computer desktop. Replace the factory splash with a Pony, CSM, or Cobra image, and it looks factory as it boots up.

Has XM, blue tooth and iPod interface. I bought the unit in '07 (had it installed in my '06 GT before the Shelby). I haven't kept up, but I'm sure the latest models have even more and better features.

I've heard great things about the Pioneer units. I don't know the specifics, but I've ran into several people with them in Mustangs and they all gave rave reviews.I wish mine didn't come with the factory Nav because I can't justif replacing it right now and IMHO the factory Nav unit leaves a lot to desired

I've heard great things about the Pioneer units. I don't know the specifics, but I've ran into several people with them in Mustangs and they all gave rave reviews.I wish mine didn't come with the factory Nav because I can't justif replacing it right now and IMHO the factory Nav unit leaves a lot to desired

All depends on how much you drive the car, I guess. I'm in mine all the time (daily driver) and the nav/stereo adds considerably to my enjoyment of the car. Sound is really good (I'm not into the really loud bass thing). Sometimes voice control is not all that reliable. Only thing I didn't get was the rear view camera, and I'm thinking of adding that. Been a very reliable unit. It was installed by the accessories dept at a local Ford dealer, so I can't say much about the install, except that they didn't mention any big difficulties. Kept the Shaker 500 unit to put back into the car when and if I trade it. Only bad thing about any nav unit in the Mustang, is you have to look down away from the road to consult the nav system.

The install is not too bad.

The main thing is that you need to buy the adapter harness for your car, which then solders/crimps onto the corresponding wires on the aftermarket deck. This can be done comfortably on the workbench or a table. From there, you basically disassemble the the console, and it is ready to plug in.

I installed the Pioneer Avic 700 about a year ago. I actually had it in the box for about a year before the install. I love it although the initial start up is a little slow, it actually take about 30 seconds before it is fully functioning. The radio will come on but the nav has to boot up. Plays video and really good graphics. Have a good installer, the guy that worked on mine at first put the wrong capacitor on and my bass would just go nuts. After that was fixed I love it. I did upgrade to the Shelby Kicker system at the same time. I believe Pioneer has a newer upgraded system called the 900. I bought mine when an electronics store was going under for like half off but I think a new system will set you back around a grand plus any thing you do with speakers. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

My Crutchfield box just showed up... woo hoo!

I'm installing the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT: Nav, traffic monitoring, Bluetooth, iPod integration, voice recognition, DVD playback, 7" touchscreen, a good set of audio controls and EQ, Pandora and HD Radio... pretty much everything.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC130/Pioneer-AVIC-Z130BT.html?search=z130bt&skipvs=T

I also ordered the PAC CRD-FRD1 interface and harness to hook it into the Kicker system, the Pioneer XM add-on module, backup camera, dash install kit, and iPod cable.

My soldering iron's gonna get a workout!

Jer

I'm installing the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT: Nav, traffic monitoring, Bluetooth, iPod integration, voice recognition, DVD playback, 7" touchscreen, a good set of audio controls and EQ, Pandora and HD Radio... pretty much everything.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC130/Pioneer-AVIC-Z130BT.html?search=z130bt&skipvs=T

I also ordered the PAC CRD-FRD1 interface and harness to hook it into the Kicker system, the Pioneer XM add-on module, backup camera, dash install kit, and iPod cable.

Jer

Jer

Let us know when you finish with the install. I'd like to drop by and check it out. In fact I don't think I've seen your Shelby since you had the GT/SC pkg added to it.

Steve

Jer

Let us know when you finish with the install. I'd like to drop by and check it out. In fact I don't think I've seen your Shelby since you had the GT/SC pkg added to it.

Steve

Will do, Steve.

Jer

Jer

Steve

Will do, Steve.

Jer

So do I get to check out the new system when I'm out in Vegas for SEMA? :lol:

Wouldn't mind a ride along out at the track, too :P - thinking about putting a blower on our SGT. Only keeping up or slightly ahead of the single turbos, twin turbos, & supercharged cars on the track in my group. Would really like to leave those guys in the dust next season. Probably be even more ready for a blower after running against a bunch of new Bosses next weekend.

So do I get to check out the new system when I'm out in Vegas for SEMA? :lol:

Wouldn't mind a ride along out at the track, too :P - thinking about putting a blower on our SGT. Only keeping up or slightly ahead of the single turbos, twin turbos, & supercharged cars on the track in my group. Would really like to leave those guys in the dust next season. Probably be even more ready for a blower after running against a bunch of new Bosses next weekend.

You are absolutely welcome to check out the car when you visit, no problem at all. I'm always delighted to meet fellow "Shelby Melvins" when they visit here.

I'll be happy to show you around every detail of interest to you. The SC package is great, and there's lots to look at.

As for the SEMA Show, all I want is SOMEONE who can get me in! LOL... I've lived in Vegas for a few years now, and have not secured a pass yet!

Jer

Jer

Sounds sweet. I've been running the Z120BT for about a year and love it. :sing_rain:

Sounds sweet. I've been running the Z120BT for about a year and love it. :sing_rain:

Good to hear!

Have you done the firmware upgrade to make it a Z130BT?

Jer

Archived