TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 Brembo 14" Brake Rotor Upgrade

Amigo GT500

Anyone has installed and how habe been the results with Shelby GT500 Brembo 14" Brake Rotor Upgrade from Shelby Parts? Is it worth for $1,280.00? Are they too much betther than the stock ones? I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks,

Other than looking better you aren't really going to see a difference.

Also note on the rear upgrade kit:

Rotors are LARGER than the OE units they replace and are designed for use with larger than stock wheels.

Rotors are LARGER than the OE units they replace and are designed for use with larger than stock wheels.

I read that but it also says: Fits all Mustang and Shelby models except V6 cars that don’t have the optional ABS, requires 18" or larger rims and our cars with SVTPP the rims are 20"

So are the 6 Piston rear baer brakes worth it then if the larger brembos are not going to stop it any faster? If the rear rotors are upgraded to a larger diameter why would they not stop it any better? A larger surface area and larger brakes is what makes any car stop faster according to the laws of physics... Maybe I am missing something but if they won't stop it any faster then what is the point in upgrading any brake system to a larger one?

Jimmy

2011 GT500 SVTPP

So are the 6 Piston rear baer brakes worth it then if the larger brembos are not going to stop it any faster? If the rear rotors are upgraded to a larger diameter why would they not stop it any better? A larger surface area and larger brakes is what makes any car stop faster according to the laws of physics... Maybe I am missing something but if they won't stop it any faster then what is the point in upgrading any brake system to a larger one?

Jimmy

2011 GT500 SVTPP

The larger brakes can dissipate heat better meaning they resist fade. The stock brakes can lockup the wheels already and go into ABS. Bigger brakes won't get it stopped sooner, better tires will.

The "Baer" (Shelby) drilled/slotted rotors are definitely an improvement over the stock solid Brembo rotors.

They are noticeably lighter, and will keep your brakes cooler due to the slots and holes channeling more air in and out of your rotor.

Overall, they just look GREAT.

I'm going to do the fronts first, then the rears later on.

GUS

Can i ask, which brand rotors are those?

I've heard that some of the "knock-off" drilled and slotted rotors have these problems. They don't chamfer the holes, and have no regard for where the drill goes through. This can effectively have a drilled hole going through one of the "vanes" inside - which are the support mechanism that hold the rotor together. Leads to possibility of cracking at high heat range (track racing).

I've spoken to Baer, (the Shelby branded are Baer) and they insist that this is not the case with theirs.

Either way, the only thing mine sees are 1/4-mile runs here and there...

drilled rotors were never meant for street use, Porsche looked for every way to cut weight and started drilling everything in Le Mans. pads, SS lines and fluid is they way to go. if you feel you need more brake then a good two-piece rotor is next step. good set of tires will improve braking greatly.

Can i ask, which brand rotors are those?

I've heard that some of the "knock-off" drilled and slotted rotors have these problems. They don't chamfer the holes, and have no regard for where the drill goes through. This can effectively have a drilled hole going through one of the "vanes" inside - which are the support mechanism that hold the rotor together. Leads to possibility of cracking at high heat range (track racing).

I've spoken to Baer, (the Shelby branded are Baer) and they insist that this is not the case with theirs.

Either way, the only thing mine sees are 1/4-mile runs here and there...

I know of 2 people who can attest that Baer drilled brakes cracked on thier cars....FWIW.

I put the Baer Eradispeed Plus (2 pc) Slotted & Drilled front rotors and the 14" rear disc upgrade on mine.

The next step will be stainless braided brake lines (which I already purchased, and a free weekend to install them.)

For me it's a no brainer that anything you can do to improve the breaking on these big heavy cars is a performance and safety PLUS...

I street drive my Shelby, just as I did my 2003 Terminator before, and run the same hardware combination which also greatly improved the braking on my 03.

I think it's worth it, and a considerable savings over going with the Baer Extreme / oversized 6P setup ($3775.) for the rears alone, or the Plus Pro setup

for $2400.which is a smaller 6 piston caliper and 14" rotor combo...

There's nothing wrong with the front Brembo calipers the car came with and if I had it as an option I would have ordered brembo calipers for the rear to match.

Unfortunately in speaking to Brembo they stated that Ford declined the option to develop a rear caliper set for our cars... (Go figure)

Anyway, I'm hoping to work with a local shop near me and devise a way to adapt a set of rear Brembo's off a GM application. If all goes well, maybe this can

turn into a rear brake kit for anyone with a Ford 8.8 rear axle setup... who knows???

I have never felt like the Shelby needed more braking but then again I have never tracked it so I don't know how these handle when really really hot. I just know how much better this car stops than my 03 cobra did. On the cobra I also tried drilled and slotted and they cracked after 15k of street use. So I went with slotted rotors, stainless steel lines, and German extreme temp fluid. oh and hawk pads. That was a solid upgrade without spending $3000+ for that heavy cobra.

I put the Baer Eradispeed Plus (2 pc) Slotted & Drilled front rotors and the 14" rear disc upgrade on mine.

The next step will be stainless braided brake lines (which I already purchased, and a free weekend to install them.)

For me it's a no brainer that anything you can do to improve the breaking on these big heavy cars is a performance and safety PLUS...

I street drive my Shelby, just as I did my 2003 Terminator before, and run the same hardware combination which also greatly improved the braking on my 03.

I think it's worth it, and a considerable savings over going with the Baer Extreme / oversized 6P setup ($3775.) for the rears alone, or the Plus Pro setup

for $2400.which is a smaller 6 piston caliper and 14" rotor combo...

There's nothing wrong with the front Brembo calipers the car came with and if I had it as an option I would have ordered brembo calipers for the rear to match.

Unfortunately in speaking to Brembo they stated that Ford declined the option to develop a rear caliper set for our cars... (Go figure)

Anyway, I'm hoping to work with a local shop near me and devise a way to adapt a set of rear Brembo's off a GM application. If all goes well, maybe this can

turn into a rear brake kit for anyone with a Ford 8.8 rear axle setup... who knows???

Ferrari/Porsche does not OEM Brembos beacause they suck....if ya get a rear kit going pm me..Thanks!