TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Option help please

I just purchased a 2009 Shelby GT 500 and just made arrangements to get a Super Snake. Is the Kenny Bell 800 hp supercharger up grade worth the price difference over the Standard 750 hp option? How about the exhaust upgrade?

What options would you definitely suggest that I get? Is the shift package worth the upgrade? I guess what I am asking what are the musts and what are the not really's. I hope I am making sense?

I just purchased a 2009 Shelby GT 500 and just made arrangements to get a Super Snake. Is the Kenny Bell 800 hp supercharger up grade worth the price difference over the Standard 750 hp option? How about the exhaust upgrade?

What options would you definitely suggest that I get? Is the shift package worth the upgrade? I guess what I am asking what are the musts and what are the not really's. I hope I am making sense?

Ok, I'll tell you my opinion. Not even thinking about the power level difference, I like a Polished blower better than the Black blower. When I open my hood, I want the blower to be the center of attention, not a blend in item. So that will cost you $750 additional over the no charge entry level Black blower. Now that has lowered the cost of 750 horse and 800 horse to a difference of $750. I would go for the big boy for that difference. Personally, I also like the look of a KB better than the Whipple at the 750 level, but that is my opinion. The smooth shiney KB just seems to have an "eye pop" that the Whipple does not, again, just my opinion, but if you see them side-by-side you will most likely agree.

With any of the blower options I would get the Cooling System Upgrade, especially if you live in a part of the country where it is hot. Heat robs the power quickly on these cars without the Cooling System Upgrade.

My next "functional" choice would be the Baer 6 Piston Rear Brake Upgrade. In addition to looking much better than the miniscule factory GT500 calipers when viewed through the Alcoa wheel, these cars are heavy and they can use all of the "braking helps" available.

The exhaust? Borla Stinger, I don't know. I have never heard it...............The Shifter Package Upgrade? I like the FRPP shifter that came with my SS upgrade in early 2009. I have the Shelby Upgrade shifter but have never installed it because I am happy with what SA originally installed back in the early days of SS production. I added the Shelby handle to mine and it looks Great. <<IMHO.

Any other options are up to you.

R

I would agree 100 % what Robert said

I have just had the Borla stingers fitted on my SS, the sound is FANTASTIC

Cooling system on it's way and I hope to have it fitted next week

ROGER , said it exactly with the 800HP. The price difference is more then worth it, and when you pop that hood and people see it, they can't believe their eyes. The short shifter does make a difference, for an extra $100, more then worth it. The Borla Stingers, if you want people to now that you are coming, then get them, if you don't, then go with the basic. :rockon:

I went with a polished Whipple because I like the Ford Racing tie-in with Shelby and its a good blower. I didn't feel it was worth the extra for the 800 hp because its hard enough to put 750 hp to the ground with these cars. I already had the FRPP shifter and I've been pleased with it. Folks I talked to said it was a good shifter compared to the others on the market. I got headers more for tradition and looks than an expectation of great power gains. I also went with the Stingers and I think it sounds AWESOME. I can easily keep the rpm below 3000 and cruise down the neighborhood at night without angering folks. On the other hand, I can whack the fun pedal and they bark loud and clear. I've also got the radiator, cooler, and tanks and they look badass. I probably had friends comment on them more than any other feature both with the hood up and closed. Wish I could give you more performance feedback but I just picked mine up and drove it home last week (19 mpg driving on the interstate!). You're going to love it in any form!

Archived