TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 3/4 " quad exhaust discs

gt67

I took out the stock discs with the 3/16'' hole and replaced it with a new 3/4'' discs and what a difference in sound. Very little cabin drone windows up, but down was music to my ears. I would have to spend at least $800.00 on my 40th to get close to sounding like this. Many drivers have taken them out completely but way to loud for my driving. Total cost was $26 and fifteen minutes to install.

88621d1306899473t-anyone-interested-after-market-exhaust-discs-img_1342.jpg

I took out the stock discs with the 3/16'' hole and replaced it with a new 3/4'' discs and what a difference in sound. Very little cabin drone windows up, but down was music to my ears. I would have to spend at least $800.00 on my 40th to get close to sounding like this. Many drivers have taken them out completely but way to loud for my driving. Total cost was $26 and fifteen minutes to install.

88621d1306899473t-anyone-interested-after-market-exhaust-discs-img_1342.jpg

Very cool!! It was nice of Ford to be so thoughtfull to do it that way. ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just bought my brand new boss. Rolled it off the lot yesterday. Been reading about this plate removal to make it sound sick. Is there a good writeup on how to remove? I haven't gotten under the car yet but I hear it's pretty simple to do. Thanks in advance

What a great way to start the New Years with a new Boss. What color? I found this info on the other forum, how to remove the discs. Enjoy

This should be good for jacking points, be careful not to put your arm in between the jack when reattaching the rocker bolt while underneath, it is easy to do and you see what I mean when doing it. If the piston ever gives way....

You will need to go just a bit forward from the jack point in the picture but that is fine, no damage worries, the rocker bolt is near the jack point in the picture. Otherwise loosen the rocker bolt before and after but that will make it a little harder to adjust. Make sure the adjustment band on the side pipe has clearance from the floor or it will rattle.

It is best to get a rubber pad for the jack, you can get them anywhere, I ordered one from harborfreight tools and it works great.

The second picture shows how to install the Boss 302 exhaust discs. You remove the three bolts circled.

Attached Thumbnails

88358d1306350337t-anyone-interested-after-market-exhaust-discs-jackpoints.jpg 88359d1306351685t-anyone-interested-after-market-exhaust-discs-forddisplaywoodward-40.jpg

Contact me at sjrsw (at) yahoo.com if you are interested in after market exhaust discs of various sizes.

Gt67

Mine is white with the black accents. Got the windows tinted and it looks sick! I love the way it drives and the exhaust sounds amazing.

Thanks for the help with plate removal. I will be doing this today. I will report back after I get them off

Thanks to gt67 for posting this. I am the person selling the discs and would rather sell them off the forums. I have to pay $4 per auction on e bay and they are listed for $30 there. Forum price is $26 and $18 for additional sets as needed.

Little history on the discs. I received one of the early Boss 302's and took the discs out before I even drove off the lot. Sounded good at first but in time I did not like the sound while downshifting and thought a better sound could be had. I cut several discs out and tested the different sounds. After posting results on different forums people asked if could get some sets made when I had mine professionally done, the rest is history. The discs are 18 gauge stainless and very well made, currently I run the 7/8 size but 3/4 has been the most popular. The 3/4 gives a good mix of engine sound and exhaust when standing outside of the car coming toward you. Less 1/2 and 5/8 you hear the engine more, 7/8 and 1 inch you hear the exhaust more. I run the 7/8's on track and I have many people tell me they really think the Boss sounds great.

Feel free to contact me at sjrsw (at) yahoo.com with any questions.

Welcome to the Team Shelby Boss family. These Bosses are truly special cars. I know you've spent time on the track and have a lot of knowledge about these cars to share with TS members. We will be looking forward to your input. You have done a great job, Scott, modding your 302 for the track. Thanks for making my Boss sound so awesome. :)

Don

What did you say, I can't hear you. :hysterical:

Mach 1, how do you like the 5/8" plates?

The 5/8" plates to me sound just right and I removed the foam from the sound tube. Just the right balance @ WOT. Boy do these things like to rev HS.The TracKey has a nice low rumble @ idle. I think the larger plates have more crackle effect @ idle but not sure.

Removed the baffles the other day. Extremely easy and fun to get under the vehicle and see how it all is put together! The sound is absolutely sick especially during normal driving conditions. I think I will be updating to a different size baffle to get a better more controlled sound when I open her up. 3/4 and 5/8 is showing up as pretty popular. Has anyone drilled/bought anything larger?

Thanks for the welcome guys. It has been a lot of fun hitting the track with the Boss. Like many others I wanted a Boss first and only got into tracking because I have it. I have had fun modding the car and being able to put some thing together from scratch like the front splitter. Many other things I copied from long time trackers, I would not have learned so fast without all the forums.

I think the larger plates have more crackle effect @ idle but not sure.

The 1/2 cuts the poping out while giving a much better sound then the factory discs. When you get past the 5/8's the poping is still there just a different note to it. You have to think of the discs more as tuning the sound then cutting the noise level, at least that is how I have come to know it.

Removed the baffles the other day. Extremely easy and fun to get under the vehicle and see how it all is put together! The sound is absolutely sick especially during normal driving conditions. I think I will be updating to a different size baffle to get a better more controlled sound when I open her up. 3/4 and 5/8 is showing up as pretty popular. Has anyone drilled/bought anything larger?

I tested the discs from 1/2 to 7/8, I stopped there because the sound was right for me. After getting into the retail part of the project I had some 1 inch discs made by request. They have sold very well but the 3/4 followed by 5/8 and 7/8 have been the most popular. I have told many people it is hard to recommend what discs is right, everyone loves the sound they installed. The only help I can give you is from what I posted above, the 3/4 gives a good mix of engine noise and exhaust from outside the car coming toward you. If you want more exhaust note go bigger, like to hear the engine scream (it sounds too good to completely drown out) go smaller.

If I can help more please let me know.

I also removed the sound tube from my Boss,no real difference in sound.Just cleans up the look of the motor ..Also I am running the 3/4 size discs in the side pipes.Sounds great even with no other mods to the stock exhaust,

Just remove them as i did. It sounds awesome

I've heard them removed... sounds VERY cool, I'd do it in a second. Roger did electrical exhaust cutouts, it's WAY more subtle than you'd think. But NICE.

Jer

If you want more engine sound you remove the FOAM inside the tube, Not the tube itself. The foam piece is inside the tube under the dash. Without the tube you will have less intake sound inside the car.

If you want more engine sound you remove the FOAM inside the tube, Not the tube itself. The foam piece is inside the tube under the dash. Without the tube you will have less intake sound inside the car.

I understand what you are saying with the foam but when I removed the tube I did not hear a noticeable difference. I did it just to clean up the engine bay.

I think I heard more of a difference when I removed all the foam coverings from around and inside the intake. I mainly did that for cooling but the sound was another good side effect.

• 2 months later...

Pictures of side pipes. The original will bolt right back in to make it original. You can really hear the lopey sound with the red key. This cost $100 bucks @ a muffler shop. Still have the 5/8" plates installed.

post-9597-0-85898900-1333638434_thumb.jpg

post-9597-0-19739800-1333638453_thumb.jpg

post-9597-0-83205200-1333638894_thumb.jpg

post-9597-0-34563600-1333895995_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived