TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can you do a COPO Order to change a Body Color/Stripe Color combination on an SVT?

BRIANDOU719

Can you do a COPO Order to change a Body Color/Stripe Color combination on an SVT?

This is my first post, so please excuse any mistakes. I had ordered a base 2012 GT 500 and Kona Blue/Silver stripes (no options except the car cover), but the transport driver put a big dent in it. I'm back to ordering a car again.

I really want the Kona Blue, and am now thinking seriously about the SVT option, but the red stripes that come with that are not really for me (my apologies to anybody who has that combination and likes it).

In the 60s you could do a special COPO (central office production order) for nonstandard combinations on a car. I would be looking for the Kona Blue with the SVT stripes in white (and, of course, the seat stripes in white also).

I'm also wondering what you all think about the Recaro seats as an option in general? I know the Recaro driver’s seat is not power, like the standard seat, but I liked them when I got a chance to sit in them.

Thanks for any help. Brian D. Colorado.

Hi Brian and welcome to Team Shelby.

You have a zero percent chance of getting a special non-standard combination. Even Ford execs have been known in recent years to try this and be severely reprimanded when caught ( Sonic blue GT). You CAN however order a stripe-delete car and have a local vinyl shop stripe the car in any combo you want. Many owners have done this already...

Good luck!

Andy

This is my first post, so please excuse any mistakes. I had ordered a base 2012 GT 500 and Kona Blue/Silver stripes (no options except the car cover), but the transport driver put a big dent in it. I'm back to ordering a car again.

I really want the Kona Blue, and am now thinking seriously about the SVT option, but the red stripes that come with that are not really for me (my apologies to anybody who has that combination and likes it).

In the 60s you could do a special COPO (central office production order) for nonstandard combinations on a car. I would be looking for the Kona Blue with the SVT stripes in white (and, of course, the seat stripes in white also).

I'm also wondering what you all think about the Recaro seats as an option in general? I know the Recaro driver’s seat is not power, like the standard seat, but I liked them when I got a chance to sit in them.

Thanks for any help. Brian D. Colorado.

Nope, no COPO options on the SVT Mustangs.

You could always do like Hawkbarr did up in Denver...buy a stripe delete car and have whatever stripes you desire put on it.

I'm in The Springs and there is a shop on Motor City drive (Drive-in Auto Stereo) that will do any stripes you want in just about any color you want.

See ya on the road,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

Nope.......BUT, I would bet that some People would Pay Extra for a "Special Color Option". Back in the 60's and early 70's, Ford would Paint your Mustang in ANY Color you wanted, there is even a 1971 Mach 1 that is a "Chevy Redish Orange" from the Factory. I would love to have a New Mustang or Shelby painted 2009 Dodhe Charger "Sublime Metallic Clear coat".

Hi Brian and welcome to Team Shelby.

You have a zero percent chance of getting a special non-standard combination. Even Ford execs have been known in recent years to try this and be severely reprimanded when caught ( Sonic blue GT). You CAN however order a stripe-delete car and have a local vinyl shop stripe the car in any combo you want. Many owners have done this already...

Good luck!

Andy

Dear Andy: thank you so much for your reply on the COPO situation. That is extremely helpful to me. Frankly, I had not thought about ordering the car as a "stripe delete", and having my own shop put on the desired SVT stripes. The you have any idea how much those stripes cost, and whether Ford would actually sell them to me? Thanks again. Brian D.

Dear Andy: thank you so much for your reply on the COPO situation. That is extremely helpful to me. Frankly, I had not thought about ordering the car as a "stripe delete", and having my own shop put on the desired SVT stripes. The you have any idea how much those stripes cost, and whether Ford would actually sell them to me? Thanks again. Brian D.

No problem at all. The best method is ordering it as a stripe delete and having custom stripes made for you like Phil mentioned. I'd think a local vinyl stripe shop would stripe it for ~500 to 600 or so. The Ford factory SVT stripes would probably run 2000 to 2500 NOT installed. Any Ford dealer would gladly take your money for them as they arent a restricted part. Do NOT buy the factory stripes! The are simply vinyl stripes exactly as a stripe/vinyl shop will make for you. Do not worry about having non-oem stripes on . I know many concours correct cars that have replacement vinyl on them and still are 100 point cars.

Ask around your area for a good vinyl/stripe/sign shop and look at some of their work first. If they are good no would ever know they werent OEM except for the fact of the wrong color combo.

Andy

No problem at all. The best method is ordering it as a stripe delete and having custom stripes made for you like Phil mentioned. I'd think a local vinyl stripe shop would stripe it for ~500 to 600 or so. The Ford factory SVT stripes would probably run 2000 to 2500 NOT installed.

<SNIP>

Ask around your area for a good vinyl/stripe/sign shop and look at some of their work first. If they are good no would ever know they werent OEM except for the fact of the wrong color combo.

Andy

He's in Pueblo, about 1/2 hour (40 miles) south of me. I saw a Grabber Blue Mustang with white OTT stripes on it at Phil Long Motor City Ford that the SVT Mgr. told me they were charging the customer $600 for. Not dealer cost, but customer cost.

He took me to the shop that did it and introduced me to them so I've got a "in" if someone needs one. That was "Drive-In Stereo" on Motor City Drive.

Hawkbarr had Grabber Blue OTT's put on his Black stripe delete SVTPP GT500 and I think he paid somewhere around the same thing but up in Denver (about 80 miles north of me).

That's what I'd do if I were in his situation but that still does not address the stripes on the seats.

He's in Pueblo, about 1/2 hour (40 miles) south of me. I saw a Grabber Blue Mustang with white OTT stripes on it at Phil Long Motor City Ford that the SVT Mgr. told me they were charging the customer $600 for. Not dealer cost, but customer cost.

He took me to the shop that did it and introduced me to them so I've got a "in" if someone needs one. That was "Drive-In Stereo" on Motor City Drive.

Hawkbarr had Grabber Blue OTT's put on his Black stripe delete SVTPP GT500 and I think he paid somewhere around the same thing but up in Denver (about 80 miles north of me).

That's what I'd do if I were in his situation but that still does not address the stripes on the seats.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. After reading the first response, I realized that there was no way you could also correct the seat insert color to match the factory paint scheme without buying new covers from Ford, or paying somebody to change it over, which Phil also pointed out. Thanks again to everybody. Brian D. Pueblo, Colorado.

Archived