TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Embarrassed by results at the track

09TSpony

Well, last week a group of the guys and gals got together at the local drag strip. Bear in mind that my suspension is stock. No excuse, I've read the posts and should have known the results before hand. Anyway, my best run for the night was 13.01 @ 121 mph. The times only got worse as the night went on, but the trap speed remained constant between 117 mph and 121 mph. The only car i managed to beat was a new SS camaro. It was a matter of pride by that point. What was most embarrassing was cars that were running 13 + sec were running 108 mph. Anyway, I let a friend who runs a 10 sec mustang drive my car. She ran a mid 13 sec run. She came back and handed me the keys telling me that third gear is a monster, but 1st and 2nd suck. I had the car on the dyno this past Sunday and I was putting down 516 rwtq. Rwhp was down due to the 100 degree weather. I usually put down 530 rwhp. So the end result, I just ordered LCA's, UCA, relocation brackets, to go with the fayes 2 watts link and springs that I have been sitting in the garage for the past 5 months. Hopefully, that will help some.

Heat Exchange will help you keep the times more consistant at least in terms of what the car is capable of doing. Softer rubber to hook better is also a good thing.

Was it your first time? If so, that's not too bad considering the weather conditions we've been having here. You will get better with some traction and practice. Your car is making good power if you're trapping 121.

I wanted to join you guys, but I had to work out of town that day. Maybe next time.

Yes sir, It was my first time. I had planned on just watching, but with the smell of testosterone in the air it was hard to just watch. You missed a good outting sir. I am sure we will do it again. I am hoping the group will want a friendly get together at Harris Hill in the fall. See you at the cars and coffee.

I don't see where you mention what tires you were using or how your traction was? Were you on stock tires? I'm guessing that you were spinning badly off the line and into second? If so, that is where all your time went. Figure out how to get it hooked and you will have much better success! That's pretty good for your first time out.

Suspension was stock and I was wearing the original F1's with 37,000 miles on them. Not the smartest thing to do. I did have fun though. I have a fayes 2 watts link in the Garage. I just ordered the LCA's w/ relocation brackets and a UCA. Then next month I will get the FRPP lowering springs, then hopefully new tire all around. That should help out a little bit... I hope

If you're going to use LCA Relocation Brackets, have them welded on. I Remember seeing a post and pics of a member's bracket getting twisted upon launch at the strip and almost put him into the wall! Also believe the instructions will state that they must be welded if used for drag racing. Good luck!

Suspension was stock and I was wearing the original F1's with 37,000 miles on them. Not the smartest thing to do. I did have fun though. I have a fayes 2 watts link in the Garage. I just ordered the LCA's w/ relocation brackets and a UCA. Then next month I will get the FRPP lowering springs, then hopefully new tire all around. That should help out a little bit... I hope

I have drag raced a fair amount in the past and you cannot expect your cars best time the first few time out. If I may suggest if you have not already, read up on the internet about bracket racing. There is a lot of good info that will help you go faster. Stick with it and you will get better. Myself I will never be a John force but I do have a great time running my car down the track.

Read up, relax and have fun!

Your car should run 11's. With the stock tires, 1st and 2nd gears are useless. Since it was your first time I'll go easy on you :hysterical: but you should have at least put on some drag radials. Lesson learned!

FYI: CHE relocation brackets look beefy enough to not need welding.

Don't beat yourself up. Unfortunately these cars are not ready for the dragtstrip with stock suspension and especially the stock tires. Considering this was your first trip to the track and on stock tires, you did pretty good.

On stock tires the car is really good at burning rubber, but sucks at launching.

You will need to at the least put some Nitto's on to get some better traction, but ideally you need to put a good set of drag radials on, i.e. M&H or Mickey Thompsons.

You will be amazed how much a good set of drag radials will add to the performance! It should get you into the low 12's, high 11's with your mods.

Springs, adjustable shocks, and control arms will also help alot to get the car to squat, and get rid of any wheel hop issues. Also 3:73 gears is a great mod. With practice you should get into the mid 11's.

Have fun....keep us posted.

Archived